Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
floridajoao

help!!!

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Ive recently started surf fishing and have come to notice that many more people use round drum type baitcasters to rocket baits out past the breaking surf over people who use spinning reels, and so i thought ''hey! if i cant beat em! join em!'' and i was looking around on craigslist and some local shops and came upon an Abu 6501 C3 for a really good price, is there any difference between the 6501 and the rest of the 6500's? I for sure am going to do some upgrades to the reel including a new drag system, new handle, take the level wind off and change the spool bearings, is there any difference in the upgrade parts also? As I am new to the whole salt/surf fishing thing i have no experience so thanks for the help!

-FloridaJoao

Wow, really jumping in head first. Slow down it's far more productive to get some basic skills down and practice, practice, practice. Many people who are new to the sport think that the best equipment is all you need to be successful, and i'll tell ya following that mindset has left most guys disappointed and many even give up. There is no shortcuts to this sport you have to put your time in. Regarding your reel i'll let others comment on that as i rarely fish conventional.

On another note, a good amount of guys hone their skills with spinners first, and the latest top notch spinners and rods are capable of very impressive distances so don't discount them.

Good luck to you, and regarding the reel you inquired about, the distance casting forum is the place you may find the information your seeking, even more so than the main forum, but please take your time familiarizing yourself with this sport , you'll enjoy it more:):)

Thanks for the input ill keep that in mind! Im not new to baitcasters im just new to the whole upgrading part of things so i feel sort of lost in all the many Abus and their upgrades.

-FloridaJoao

is there any difference between the 6501 and the rest of the 6500's?

Some minor differences between the various models, but the same reel for the most part. I'm sure some of the Abu gurus can get into more specifics, but if you're doing your own mods/upgrades you'll pretty much be creating your own real anyways. IMO, you don't need super-duper high performance (expensive) bearings to do what you're looking to do. An upgraded drag on the other hand is probably money well spent. I'm not sure what kind of drag washers you're going to find in that reel, but I'd highly recommend carbontex.

is there any difference between the 6501 and the rest of the 6500's?

the only difference is everything is backwards in the 6501 since the handle is on the left.. if you wanna get a reel without a level wind get a 6500CTC3, im just not sure if they make that in a left hand retrieve or not. i'm sure others will chime in

Ive recently started surf fishing and have come to notice that many more people use round drum type baitcasters to rocket baits out past the breaking surf over people who use spinning reels, and so i thought ''hey! if i cant beat em! join em!'' and i was looking around on craigslist and some local shops and came upon an Abu 6501 C3 for a really good price, is there any difference between the 6501 and the rest of the 6500's? I for sure am going to do some upgrades to the reel including a new drag system, new handle, take the level wind off and change the spool bearings, is there any difference in the upgrade parts also? As I am new to the whole salt/surf fishing thing i have no experience so thanks for the help!

-FloridaJoao

I obviously misread your inquires, i apologize for the novice information as i really thought you were just starting out. It appears you have been fishing for a while and are already familiar with a lot of the basics . Your heads gonna spin once you really start getting into the tech stuff of conventionals :laugh: the ins and outs of bearings, the viscosity of specialty lubricants etc...holy cow hold on to your hat, and as mentioned previously try the distance forum .;);)

Abu reels and upgrades have been discussed here on SOL for many years now. The search feature is very helpful for this type of needed info. Look outside the Abu box too. There are Daiwa Sealine X sha, Slosh,& Saltist reels. There are my favorite casters the Newells and even Okuma has some nice casting reels.

Guys getting distance are using what reels, if i may ask?.