Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
magagro

"Thread" winding check

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Ï've seen in some custom rods people are making the winding check with thread wrapped around the blank.....in a ramp style.

Does any body here have any tip regarding to how to make it?

Do I need to make an under ramp with some kinda epoxy in order to have the path to follow with the thread on top of it?

Or it's just thread (tons...LOL) wrapped around to create the ramp?

If it's some epoxy what kinda?

cheers

Most all of the supply houses sell winding checks, aluminum/silver/rubber ect.  I like the rubber ones with a step in them used between the for grip and butt wrap. Just continue the epoxy right over it when applying the finish. To me a custom build without a check looks unfinished, kind of like a unshaped grip.

I usually just wrapped right to the handle then coat with finish. The finish will create a very nice small taper from grip to thread. I like the minimalistic look it gives.

This is what I do, too.

I use cord grips on almost all the surf rods I build. I don't epoxy the cord to the blank, so this means I have to "lock" the ends of the cord to keep it from unraveling. There are four "ends" that need to be secured: on either side of the reel seat, the butt, and the top of the foregrip. I use a butt cap for the butt, and EVA surf grips on either side of the reel seat, but this means that I have one more "end" to secure, at the top of the foregrip. And for this I use rod wrapping thread, finished with finish, and this, I guess, is the kind of thing that you're asking about.

What I do with my cord grips is to use size D nylon thread, almost always black, and begin the thread wrap above (i.e. closer to the tip) the grip. I start the grip in normal fashion, and then, when I get to the grip, I let the thread wrap on top of itself until the thread is thick enough (i.e. enough wraps) to climb on top of the cord grip. I then wrap on top of the cord grip for a quarter inch or so, wrap back down onto the blank, and tie the thread off (if you want to be fancy, you can do a finish wrap above this). I finish this "thread ramp" with regular thread finish that is applied at the same time the guide wraps are finished.

This approach has worked well for me, and I've never had an issue with the thread finish not leveling, or not setting appropriately. Here's a picture of what I just described, with a slim metallic gold trim wrap on top of the black wrap (sorry for the lousy picture quality).