Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justinjunior

People who know Newells

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I am installing a Tiburon T-Bar power handle on my S220 and S229. My question is do you need an extra handle washer to put on underneath the handle next to the belleville spring?

The handle washer is usually next to the belleville spring but i put it on top underneath the nylon washer and the handle nut.

thanks

Here is a post from another site. You do what you want, but if the handle doesn't bottom on the flat part of the bridge sleeve, in time you will round out the square hole in the handle.

re: New From Tiburon

A suggestion I might make would be to acquire an additional stainless steel handle washer (part # P3-16). One below the handle, and one on top. Eliminate the nylon lock washer (part # P3-23). This will allow the handle nut to tighten another thread or two.

The nylon lock washer was, and has been used on all Newell reels from almost 1979 to reduce the possibility of electrolysis between the then stainless steel bridge sleeve, and the aluminum handles used at the time. Don't know why they continued using the nylon lock washer after the advent of the plastic (graphite) handles clear up through the current models. With the last of the old "P" series, and with the new models Newell had switched over to brass bridge sleeves which all but eliminated the electrolysis problem.

Finally with any aluminum handle installation, apply some grease in and around both top and bottom of the handle before cinching up the handle nut.

Maybe you only need the washer if you also change out the star wheel because it's thicker than the aluminum wheel. Either way, let me know how it turns out.