Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nipsip

Iowa Stunods

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

"Two-thirds of likely Iowa Republican caucusgoers earning less than $50,000 a year believe they personally would be better off or in the same situation under Herman Cain’s 9-9-9 tax plan, The Des Moines Register’s new Iowa Poll shows."

These are folks that expect the GOP to stick it to the “47% that pay no income tax” which of course would never, ever include any Real Americans voting in GOP primaries. The cloud of ignorance that makes it so easy to lead the nation off a cliff is largely self-inflicted, and that’s how the GOP and their .1% supporters want it.

I think they truly believe that the notion that a consumption tax would ever be levied against working-class Republican voters in the Heartland is nothing more than a cruel liberal media trick.

Stunad = Gli Stornate

It's one of thse sicilian / neopolitan expressions that came to america at the turn of the century... and morphed into Stunad...

It's another way of saying "in denial" or you avert yourself from the reality that confronts you... or sometimes "confused"

In sicilian to accuse someone as being "confused" is pretty insulting. Its like saying you are scatter-brained....

Just wanted to help ;)

Stunad = Gli Stornate

It's one of thse sicilian / neopolitan expressions that came to america at the turn of the century... and morphed into Stunad...

It's another way of saying "in denial" or you avert yourself from the reality that confronts you... or sometimes "confused"

In sicilian to accuse someone as being "confused" is pretty insulting. Its like saying you are scatter-brained....

Just wanted to help ;)

stunod (plural stunods)

(slang, pejorative) A stupid or crazy person.

Which one of you stunods support Cain?

stunod (plural stunods)

(slang, pejorative) A stupid or crazy person.

Which one of you stunods support Cain?

no,

Stornare = to avert

Stornate = averted

Gli Stornate would suffice for plural since it describes the group "the averted ones"...

abbiamo capito?

Stunad is the Italian American version of Stunota (dopey, confused). For some reason, Italian Americans always get rid of the last vowel of an Italian word. Manacott for Manacotti, cappacol for cappacola, etc. Somebody told me it is a neopolitan thing.

Nitsip, please don't tell me you are of Italian descent, that would ruin my day.

if you want to say stupid or crazy person (two different things)

Stupido works or you can go deeper.

"Cretino" singular or "Cretini" plural (Cretin or Cretins)

a crazy person = il pazzo

what's next, you'll try to say Mamluk is an insult... (Turkish word)

Stunad is the Italian American version of Stunota (dopey, confused). For some reason, Italian Americans always get rid of the last vowel of an Italian word. Manacott for Manacotti, cappacol for cappacola, etc. Somebody told me it is a neopolitan thing.

Nitsip, please don't tell me you are of Italian descent, that would ruin my day.

just don't tell the neopolitans that!

Everytime I go back to Italy, Italian -American slang is always a fun topic.. They think it's cute, but when I explain the extent of where its gone you get a pained look like (why would they butcher our beautiful language)

I'm sorry, my nonna and my father both were raised in italy and - they never spoke like Chico Marx... :D

Somebody told me it is a neopolitan thing.

Neopolitans like to cut their words short in their dialect. Pisses me off. They don't pronounce the vowels from a lot of their words. Its a dialect thing. Sicilians will go out of their way to pronounce the entire word. SallyG post #2 hit it on the head.

Sicilians will go out of their way to pronounce the entire word.

my mom's family was from Puglia and dad was from Catania

It always broke down into a dialect argument and my mom yelling : how can anyone speak that gibberish? (cataniese)

:D

I miss them both dearly...

I have a good friend from Bari. when he drops into dialect, its unrecognizable..

Quote:

Originally Posted by nipsip View Post

"Two-thirds of likely Iowa Republican caucusgoers earning less than $50,000 a year believe they personally would be better off or in the same situation under Herman Cain’s 9-9-9 tax plan, The Des Moines Register’s new Iowa Poll shows."

These are folks that expect the GOP to stick it to the “47% that pay no income tax” which of course would never, ever include any Real Americans voting in GOP primaries. The cloud of ignorance that makes it so easy to lead the nation off a cliff is largely self-inflicted, and that’s how the GOP and their .1% supporters want it.

I think they truly believe that the notion that a consumption tax would ever be levied against working-class Republican voters in the Heartland is nothing more than a cruel liberal media trick.

You need to feet to Iowa tout suite and tell them not to fall for it!

thats Fench for "really quick".

It always broke down into a dialect argument and my mom yelling : how can anyone speak that gibberish? (cataniese)

I have a good friend from Bari. when he drops into dialect, its unrecognizable..

When my Dad starts Bolognese dialect, it almost sounds French.

When my Dad starts Bolognese dialect, it almost sounds French.

I studied in Parma - lived there for 6 months, similar dialect to Bolgnese and they found my phonetic moop-speak amusing... :D

I've never heard anyone speak Barese but gf tells me i would likely not catch a single word. Napolitane have a beautiful dialect...when you get them going real fast wit that tongue it sounds amazing but hard to decipher for me. Both my parents are Sicilian. Just got off the phone wit my mom...its muffaletta season. ;)