Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trade off

Thanksgiving Bass Dinner

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I was thinking about this over the past couple of days. I was curious how many of you have had striped bass for thanksgiving. I am not talking about the frozen fillet from June, but caught within 24 hours. Stories and pics would be a nice bonus in the reply.

For myself, the best I have done was to catch a short on Christmas Day 4 years ago. I have never caught anything on Thanksgiving although I know there was an epic blitz a while back down in LBI. If I remember correctly the pictures show numerous bent rods with a rainbow in the background.

I've caught well on Thanksgiving and the day before, but never cooked it for Thanksgiving.......I want TURKEY! But last year I got a Bass before a family Christmas party and I made fish cake appetizers for it.

Once upon a time, long long ago, Thanksgiving weekend was considered a big bass weekend.

I miss the old Rip.

Last year I asked a friend of mine who lives in NC what he was having for Thanksgiving and he told me his family was having striper. I never asked him why and I'm not sure I will.

The past two years I put the turkey in before I head to the boat. Last year we limited out and were coming in at 825am...I make striped bass that tastes like crabmeat as an appetizer...Its a major hit!

OK......Frank....what's the secret recipie..........if I copuld make SB taste like crab meat just think of the money I could save especially if it could taste like King Crab meat.

id like to see this pic you speak of.

2 years ago, bass for christmas eve dinner, caught that morning. the wife's (g/f at the time) family loved it. striper cakes. i swore i would NEVER make them again, damn thats a hassle.

OK......Frank....what's the secret recipie..........if I copuld make SB taste like crab meat just think of the money I could save especially if it could taste like King Crab meat.

Cut bass filet into about 1" cubes.

Boil 2 qt. water. Add 4 TBS. Old Bay, and 2 bay leaves.

Add fish and slow boil until fish is firm, maybe 6 minutes or so.

Strain fish but do not rinse. Squeeze a fresh lemon on fish and sprinkle a bit more old bay if you like it. Place chunks on a paper towel covered plate and refrigerate until cool. Another shot of lemon juice and serve it up with a bowl of cocktail sauce for dipping... The family LOVES IT! ..It also gives my honey a reason why I NEED to fish on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve!

good replies. I know someone here has that picture. It was all over the board a few years ago.

I am hoping that this Thanksgiving will be a good one (fishing wise). My results for the past 4 outings are about the same as everyone else.

Thanks Frank! I am not much of a chef but I'm trying to learn to cook a little bit and that recipe sounds easy and delicious.

While the RECIPE may be easy, catching the main ingredient is not!