First striper; To eat or not to eat?

Rate this topic

ceestand

That is the question.

I'm brand new to fishing, haven't caught one striper yet. That leaves me in the silver-lined position to ask your opinions on this: When I do land my first keeper, what's the right thing to do by the fish? I'm all for catch-and-release in general, but I do intend to eat my share of fish. Should my first striped bass be reminisced as not only a great sport, but great eating, or should it be released as thanks for taking my cherry?

As long as it's of legal size, do which ever you please - that's your legal right. And as far as my own personal view is concerned, as long as you're not keeping it to parade it around, then disgarding/wasting it, it's all good...enjoy the fruits of your success (but that doesn't mean not to take pictures...LOL)

For my first keeper, I took a quick photo, then kissed it on the head and released it. This is supposed to bring good luck. I continue to do this with each first keeper of the season.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

For the first time i have started to trim out the red meat...and not a hack job i mean carefully trim it all out so it looks nice and appetizing. I am enjoying eating them again this way. I mean i like to eat that red meat but i think it was starting to get to me.

Why was your night time pee glowing? ;)

It is clearly your choice... but i personally let my first keeper go, after i thanked it for being nice enough to bite onto my 14" deep diving plug i cast from the rocks as a googan...

Ever since then, I've done very well each year with the blessings of the fish gods, with a couple 40's each year and have had the honor of catching a 50 and 60 class bass. It's good to toss some coins in the karma well every now and again.:th:

GOOD LUCK

We love to eat bass, first keeper goes home. This does give you a chance of letting a larger fish go. One trip first bass was a 36" which I kept, third bass was a 40" which I tagged and released. And there are days when I don't want to clean fish and they all go back. Fish you caught on your own taste sweeter and you know are fresher. Don't keep fish for others to freeze.

Peace

Frank II --- If anyone needs me, I'll be in my MAN CAVE, rotating the laundry. - C.C.A. - American Littoral Society Tagger w/ 61 returns - Vietnam Veteran U. S. Army,  Grand Pa of 6