Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tmirrione63

bucktail vs crimped nylon

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

There's nothing like the real Bucktail, I fish mostly blue frog Bucktails, I believe they are a synthetic material, but I don't think anyone told the fish that though. Lol:D

yes there is an immense difference between Bucktail and crimped nylon, they are worlds apart. But i have crimped nylon teasers that work great! Bucktail i would think would produce a more realistic presentation over crimped nylon that really doesn't act like the hair on Bucktail.

the differance is that bucktail is a natural material that comes from the tail of a deer crimped nylon is a synthethic material that is man made,the answer says it all. if you are wondering if one catchs more fish than the other try fishing both and see what works for you. personally i haven' t used bucktail i years,tying my own is much cheaper with crimped nylon.never had a problem catching fish with jigs tied with crimped nylon.

I presently tie with natural bucktail, but hear and more good things about crimped nylon.

I plan to buy some and wrap a few jigs with it.

Then I'll go and throw it at the fishes. Let them vote! JMHO C2

the differance is that bucktail is a natural material that comes from the tail of a deer crimped nylon is a synthethic material that is man made,the answer says it all. if you are wondering if one catchs more fish than the other try fishing both and see what works for you. personally i haven' t used bucktail i years,tying my own is much cheaper with crimped nylon.never had a problem catching fish with jigs tied with crimped nylon.

Of course john doesn't have a problem catching fish, john only makes the sickest fish catching plugs of all time! ;)

I like the durability of the nylon, it seems to hold up to toothy critters much better than bucktail....BUT, i really prefer the looks of natural bucktail, as lends more body to the jig and seems to "breathe" better in the water (i'm not convinced the fish have this same preference though)....so i've started tying crimped nylon with a bit o' bucktail over it.

One advantage of the crimped nylon and fishair though, is that you can tie up a much longer, slender presentation if you'd like ( for an example, go to the CBST forum and check out dan tinman's sandeel jigs.-they are sweet dan:))

I was down in FL and picked up a few different nylon type bucktails to try here. I'll give them a shot over the next couple weeks,

Glad to see the positive feedback for the nylon, because I have em but dont use em often. Havent had ANY LUCK, never hooked up using one. Real bucktails on the other hand always a favorite. Fooled lots of fish with those.

( for an example, go to the CBST forum and check out dan tinman's sandeel jigs.-they are sweet dan:))

Thanks. On the original prototypes for that jig I used crimped nylon for the green top and fishair for the white bottom. Didn't like the combination of two materials in this particular case.

I had the chance to attend a seminar put on by Bob Popovic. He's probably the best salt water fly creator in the country right now. I do distinctly remember him saying that all materials have their uses and mixing them is fine if needed to create a particular effect. Basically it comes down to if it's what you need to get the job done, do it!

I was looking at some jigs and such in a well known shore town tackle shop this afternoon trying to get some inspiration. Found a lure I never seen before with a chrome bullet shaped head and a very long crimped nylon tail. Had to be a foot long. The crimped nylon is what caught my eye. Looked good. Probably a trolling lure. Don't know how it looks in the water. Everything has it's uses.

I am personally a real material person be it feathers or hair I have ALWAYS out fished people fishing synthetic. The furthest I go using synthetic is one or two strands to add some flash.

In my experience, sometimes the bass want lots of wiggle and movement and sometimes they prefer very little wiggle and movement.

jigs.jpg

The crimped nylon (I assume the material pictured above) breaths very little but makes a nice silhouette.

The surgical tube on the jig head (field expedient bait tail) is silhouette only.

As is a "stingray" type grub.

These both dart around nicely, since there is less water resistance.

If the bottom is really sticky, I'll forgo the hair and just use a curly tail, tube or stingray grub on a ball head jig.

Experiment and let the fish tell you what they want.

Natural bucktail is somewhat hollow and will give a little more "float" to a jighead. Sometimes you need to drop a little slower and a bucktail with more hair tied on will do that for you.