Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iphish

American cars, the buyout and the economy......a love story.

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I, 53 years young, have not owned or driven an American car company since I was a teenager. Oh sure I have owned 22 plus years of saabs, a half dozen years of VW and another handfull of recent years with Honda. All Ive had very good luck with. Most recently I kept my eyes wide open when deciding on an auto. The new , redesigned Ford explorer caught my eye and the fact they didn't take the buy out influenced my decision, instead they got their **** together & responded like any smart company would do. Their business model has changed: fewer dealers, sell fewer cars and return to profitability with inovative features & design too.

I bought the new explorer XLT 2 weeks ago and have told my friends and customers that I made a smart decision over another honda or toyota. They (ford) earned my attention and $$. I would never consider Chrysler (fiat) under any conditions, the same with GM for much the same reason. The latter doesn't seem to have their act together yet in MHO. Who was the rocket scientist that thought a $41K electric car (volt) was a good idea for the masses in this economy? I wonder if he still has a job? hopefully not. The only foriegn brand I would have considered is Hyundai- they certainly have engineering and design working for them & quality too.

I realise of course that not everything is of the same quality & price and certain goods have to be purchased from off shore companies (china for example) But I felt with this purchase if we wish to see an about face of where were are and have been heading its time to buy american if it make sense. Certainly there are american built foriegn cars out there BMW x-3, some hondas too. Its my understanding that although built here you are really supporting a foriegn company. I won't get up on a soap box and demand everyone to buy everything american, (because I won't be able to buy all american) you can decided that for yourself, what i will do is ask you to think about your purchases and do your part- Where it makes sense.

Who was the rocket scientist that thought a $41K electric car (volt) was a good idea for the masses in this economy? I wonder if he still has a job? hopefully not. .

We're stuck with him till 2012 at least, unfortunately. Buy American doesnt mean what it used when it comes to autos. My last purchase was a Toyota, who supports the freakin Audubon Society and I make no apologies over choosing a well built foreign car over a gov't subsidised pinky ring cartel. Lottsa people seem to be high on Ford lately. It was the only American car maker I visited, but in the end 1.9% financing won me over.

Been very happy with my 06 F150. 100K miles this past week and no major problems. Just replaced the spark plugs 2 months back and have enjoy a ride close to what is was when I bought it new.

My wife really wants a new Explorer but until we have 2 little ones to worry about we'll get by with the truck and her car.

John

Where was your explorer built? How much of it's parts content is made in the USA?

The UAW still hangs like a proverbial anchor around Ford's neck.

If you buy a Honda or Toyota that is built in the USA then your $$$ pays for the people that built that car and the local economy where they live and an entire chain of US subcontractors. Yes the end profit may go to some japanese super corporation but if it is built in the USA it still helps our economy.

Where was your explorer built? How much of it's parts content is made in the USA?

The UAW still hangs like a proverbial anchor around Ford's neck.

If you buy a Honda or Toyota that is built in the USA then your $$$ pays for the people that built that car and the local economy where they live and an entire chain of US subcontractors. Yes the end profit may go to some japanese super corporation but if it is built in the USA it still helps our economy.

Manufactured in chicago Illnois. some ( no surprise) of the electronic componants are foriegn made and are imported

When I was growing up my family had a fondness for VW with our german heritage. We owned buses, beatles, squareback, the first rabbit and a GTI. We started to vary cars more then just family tradition to what we thought was the best value and performance for what we needed. I had a Datsun coupe, Chevy van, Nissan wagon, Volvo, Subaru, Ford ranger, F150 and now a Toyota Tundra (type 1). I now some of these cars were made partially in us, canada, mexico and some fully from overseas. If someone can sort out what cars are made where let me know, I am confused... I do know I like my Tundra more then my F150. The 150 was great but the Tundra seems easier to handle and as good to tow with if not better. I have to say our company recently purchase a new vehicle. I shopped all major manuf. within a similar sedan size and price range. No one could touch Ford for discounts, warranty and price, but I also have to say out of all I tested the Honda was the best driving car.

In summary I would love to buy American (whatever that means nowadays) but I will end up with what I think is the best price/performance at that time..

John