Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spelunker

M report and question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Yesterday a friend and I took the drive from north Jersey to Montauk. We stopped at paulies and loaded up on some gear and headed out to the light. We fished the whole outgoing and most of the incoming tide. We moved around and took thousands of casts but we just couldn't find the fish. The wind was a light north east breeze and the water was pretty clean. The waves were enormous though, very powerful. It was hard to keep the lures in the strike zone because we would lose contact with the baits and the would get swept back to the beach fairly quickly. Also, there was no bait in the water, at least from what I can see and what others said. So we got skunked but it was still a great experience and worth the drive out. A truly beautiful place.

Naturally after a fishing trip like this I always discover new techniques I need to work on and always have a few questions for the experienced anglers. My first question is what do you do or use when the surf is so powerful that you lose contact with your plugs? My second question is how the hell do all you guys use bucktails out there with all the rocks?? i love bucktailing here in NJ on sandy beaches but there are very few snags and its easy to bounce them along the bottom. How do you avoid getting snagged up in the rocks on every cast?

btw- saw more deer than fishermen last night. practically had the whole place to ourselves at night

I talked to a friend that did a charter out in Montauk a couple of weeks ago and he said that although they got fish, it wasn't nearly as good as they've had in prior years the same week. The captain said that it had been a slow season that never really hit the peaks they expected.

You gotta use the right weight bucktail for the conditions, the right weight is the one that stays just above the rocks. If you were getting hung up, it was because your bucktail was either too heavy, or you may have been jigging it a little too slow. Either way, you are going to lose a few...just can't be avoided.

I've a friend who was there last week for the whole week and he told me that this is the worse week ever in Mtk...This guy is a hard core and a superb angler...This guy catches 40#ers when the rest of the guy are fooling with the teens...So, there is nothing that you could have done to make it better...Also, when the lot is empty, don't waste too much time at that place...

Wait till yer on a rock and yer bucktail is pulled back and you get yer first fish..

standin on a rock with wave rolling in putting yer rod under yer arm and takin off the hook..

makes ya feel like a real fisherMan..... Good luck on your next trip....

njskisher we did fish at night, just nothing doin. Everyone we spoke to said the same thing, just a tough year.

I was using 1 1/2 ounce bucktails but I guess i should of went lighter. Probably one of those thing you just gotta develop a feel for.

That place is a real challenge at night with the treacherous conditions

As others have said the general consensus is that it's been an off fall out there - but I was out there on Columbus Day weekend and it was like the pictures you see of birds, bait, boats, blitzes and combat fishing. But unless you walk into blitz conditions I think it's always difficult the first time you fish anywhere. Adding huge surf to the equation just ups the difficulty factor by an order of magnitude.