Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sufrangler

Flat fish

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Does anyone here use the flat fish lure ?? I think it would cast good due to itz but weight and would be great for barramundi .

does it swim zig zag manner like other minnows?

As I remember, they had a cute little wiggle that turned fish on.

I still use a fly Flatfish in the surf for Pompano.

P.S. I didn't think that anyone fished with the 'big' ones any more. I still have a few that are really battered due to fish teeth , that I haven't use for years. C2

how weel would the 3oz version cast? thinking of building one my self! the butt weightedness is good but the bannana shape is bad for casting hence asked. Basically me and all my fellow anglers in India are looking for lures to replace our x-raps and cast 70yrds+ weight preferred is between 2-3oz and diving depth 5-7ft

Does anyone here use the flat fish lure ?? I think it would cast good due to itz but weight and would be great for barramundi .

does it swim zig zag manner like other minnows?

Post a pic of the flat fish lure. We catch a lot of Barramundi here using various lures and I may be able to recognize it if I know what it is/looks like.

Thanks Jimmy. That looks like a great lure for GT, Queen Fish and Narrow Barred Spanish Mackerel - fish that will chase fast moving shiny lures, but may have too fast an action (too much zig zag) to induce lazy Barramundi to chase it. Just my 2 cents worth. Barramundi (at least the ones in my part of the woods) prefer a slow wobbling action like a lipped minnow type lure such as the Bomber or Red Fin produces. But, heck, sufrangler nothing like trying it out.

A old lure. At one time made from Balsa wood with 1 hook built into the body. I still use them but rarely. The big ones are used in the Northwest with meat tied on and trolled for Steelhead. They are not heavy enough to cast very far without a weight. The old small ones were used for fly fishing, very light. Great action,can be retrieved or trolled very slow with a wicked side to side action

An absolute classic lure that is still very relevant today. I used them as a kid, and a few years back bought a bunch of them on ebay. The older ones are wooden, the newer ones are plastic. They are not a very good lure for distance casting, originally made for slow trolling. The best retreive for them is a slow retrieve that sets up a slow pulsating wobble. It drives fish crazy. I always have 4 or 5 of them in my tackle bag.

they made them in dozens of sizes and colors, from tiny fly rod sizes to musky and salt water sizes.