drag setting for blackfish

Rate this topic

justinjunior

I used to fish a lot tigher, but I backed off on that. What I do not want to happen is for me to set the hook and hte line slips out and almost cuts my hand - that happened twice the other day when I used a different reel than I was using before and didn't realize the drag wasn't set where it should be. I do not mind letting fish pull drag a bit, it's a lot more fun that way.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

I hate seeing people fish with too light a drag and have it slip everythime they try to set the hook on a fish. Then they say how hard it is to hook them. LOL

Locked down? No. Tight enough that if a big fish does pull it'll give a little, but not enough to slip on a sinker stuck in the mud ;)

Team Goats

I will concur with the fellow in the above post ...the one with the cute kid next to him. I never lock down the drag. Seen plenty of nice fish lost to a locked down drag and frayed line, poor knots and maybe the worst offender, keeping the rod tip low pointed at the fish and not letting the rod absorb the shock of the fight. I imagine this is done by people that want to be stealthy and not let other fishers (read muggers) know that they have a fish on.

The Magnificent Presence

You can probably get away with a locked drag until the fish gets to within a few feet from the surface...once those fish begin to see daylight they finally make a good run for the depths. Thats when you need to give the most line to a blackfish. I like my drag set so that i can barely pull line out of teh spool. But i am also using mono. With braid you probably need to set it even tighter to get the same amount of resistance.

I used to fish a lot tigher, but I backed off on that. What I do not want to happen is for me to set the hook and hte line slips out and almost cuts my hand - that happened twice the other day when I used a different reel than I was using before and didn't realize the drag wasn't set where it should be. I do not mind letting fish pull drag a bit, it's a lot more fun that way.

I agree, when setting the hook on a decent fish the drap should not slip! Same for bass IMO!