Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassinJ

What Bait Rig in Rough Seas?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

When casting clams from the surf in rough seas, which bait rig do you use? I'd think a fish finder rig would be blown all over the place and result in a tangle quite frequently, no? Just curious as to which bait rig works best when its nasty out there. Thanks for any advice!

A three sided pyramid will hold better than a four sided. if that doesn't do the trick there is always the sputnik weight, if they don't grab bottom time to go to the house!

In rough seas I like the DJ Muller clam rig. It sports 2 hooks. The top hook extends about 6" from the main leader off a dropper loop and the bottom hook is attached to a three-way swivel along with the sinker.

Aside from a sinker change try to shorten the leader on the fish finder. Go the type of rig used for red fish where the leader is six inches and keeps the bait closer to the weight. It also improves casting distance.

Single hook dropper rig. This lets the bait align itself down stream of the weight and holds better . Also in super rough water I find frogs tongue hold better than sputniks . In super rough water the bottom is stirred up so much that the bottom sand it loose and doesn't hold the wire on sputniks . The frogs tongue digs in and will bury itself below this soft sand .

There are no rougher conditions than "ON THE BAR" at Cape Point in Buxton NC.

Whenever I'm fishing bait in big water I use the "hatteras style:" fish finder rig. This consists of a very short leader, sometimes a short as 2" then a barrel swivel. If your fishing mono, (hatteras style) then the fish finder goes onto the shock leader. If you're fishing braid I run a 10 to 14" length of 60# mono, the Fish Finder then goes on that, to another barrel swivel attached to my main line. Cast well in strong wind, holds well in big water. Note use either frogs tounge sinkers, my favotrite, or sputnicks.

I would not use a two hook rig for heavy surf and big water. They cast poorly under the best of conditions and the additional leader, hook and two baits add additional drag to the rig. . Just what your trying to avoid when bait fishing in big water.

bought these weights from cabelas in store this year but didn't try them yet. It looks like a flat triangle with spikes on 2 of the points on the triangle. Never seen them anywhere else so of course i had to buy them.

bought these weights from cabelas in store this year but didn't try them yet. It looks like a flat triangle with spikes on 2 of the points on the triangle. Never seen them anywhere else so of course i had to buy them.

Very interesting! Do they work? Could we have pics please? C2

I haven't tryed them yet but they do look like they would hold good. I went online at cabelas but they didnt have them online. i dont remember what they called them sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humboldt Squid View Post

Look like these? I have some in five oz. that hold better than an 8 oz hatteras sinker.

(*edited - we don't allow commercial links here, please do not post them - thanks. TimS)