Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lycosnut123

St.Croix Mojo 10'6" 3/4-4 oz. REEL RECOMMENDATIONS for smoothness and balance

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I DECIDED TO GO WITH THE ST.CROIX MOJO 10'6" 3/4-4oz!!!!!

Would a Shimano Spheros 6000, Penn Battle 6000, or Shimano Bait Runner 8000D (for eels) be a good pair for it? Please suggest what you recommend!

Great choice on the rod! The first reel I put on that thing was the Penn battle 6000, great match and very smooth reel.....That is until you get it wet. I dunked the reel 4 times the first month I had it and had to take it apart each time. After having the battle for a month I dropped the bomb on a brand new VS200, talk about a match made in heaven.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EBHarvey View Post

For eels? I thought this rod was for a mix of plugging and light chunking?

What line are you going to be using?

I see someone is pay attention....Okay....no eels! biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by EBHarvey View Post

For eels? I thought this rod was for a mix of plugging and light chunking?

What line are you going to be using?

I'm thinking some decent braid. I usually used PowerPro. I was thinking some 30 lb test.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smk379 View Post

Great choice on the rod! The first reel I put on that thing was the Penn battle 6000, great match and very smooth reel.....That is until you get it wet. I dunked the reel 4 times the first month I had it and had to take it apart each time. After having the battle for a month I dropped the bomb on a brand new VS200, talk about a match made in heaven.

Hey friend! I haven't been employed since April....no VS for me.... I am getting a deal currently on a Spheros 6000FB nib for $75.

I'm thinking some decent braid. I usually used PowerPro. I was thinking some 30 lb test.

Then the battle 6k is bigger than you need - it holds more than 400 yards of 30# PP.

Regardless, here's a review of almost the same setup:

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/762368/penn-battle-6000-power-pro-30lb-mojo-surf-10-1-4oz-field-test

Personally, if i was going to be using it for bait fishing even a small amount of the time, I'd go with the baitrunner without a second thought.

The 10'6 3/4-4oz rod is very different than the 10' 1-4. Many think the 10' 1-4 is stiff and handles like a broomstick. It is the rod usually described when a poor review comes across the board, but there are guys who like the stiffer faster rods including myself. Regarding eel's, i threw eel's with a fast and stiff rod for years with no trouble, you just can't lay into it, and if eeling specifically there are rods perfect for that, like the 1201L. The Mojo 3/4-4 should work very well also.

The Sphero 6000 is perfect for this rod. I've used this rod for eels and riggies (smaller sizes). I don't recommend it but my buddy swims with his sphero. Multiple trips to Block this season from Memorial Day to present thing is still kicking.

I have the same rod and I had a Shimano Symetre 4000 on it and it felt too small, I purchased a Shimano Power Aero Albrid ci4 and Its a match made in heaven. I got 3 spools for this reel. Type 3-30lb braid, Type 5-40lb braid, and a Type 8- 50lb braid. I love it that I can just change spools at any given moment. I had Rich at RH custom rods upgrade my knob on the reel. ;)

IMG_0554.jpg

I have the same rod and I had a Shimano Symetre 4000 on it and it felt too small, I purchased a Shimano Power Aero Albrid ci4 and Its a match made in heaven. I got 3 spools for this reel. Type 3-30lb braid, Type 5-40lb braid, and a Type 8- 50lb braid. I love it that I can just change spools at any given moment. I had Rich at RH custom rods upgrade my knob on the reel. ;)

IMG_0554.jpg

Wow, very nice reel, love the custom handle:th::th:

I have a Spheros 5000fb on that rod with 30lb braid and it seems well balanced. I believe the 6000 would be just fine as well. I had the 5000 prior to getting the rod otherwise I might have got the 6000 size.