Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SG1

How to un-crackle??

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I picked up a kitchen island that I want to refurb. It has a painted "crackle" finish. I want to paint it solid white semi-gloss. Can I fill and sand the cracks with joint compound, or should I strip it down??? What do you think, and what product would you use?

Thanks...

The Orange stripperstuff works great, follow the directions. Available at home stores/hardware. Brush it on, wait, use a green pad or a scraper to get it off. A small metal brush in the intricate areas. Works great.

Yeah, strip it down and repaint. It's been a while since I did this, but the citrus-based products work well, but they do raise the grain like crazy. You also need to be a bit careful around the edges when you scrape. Our previous house needed a lot of paint stripping/repainting, and I found the best way was to do the first round with a heat gun (I could generally get down to bare wood in one pass - i could only get one to two coats per round with the liquid strippers), then clean up with liquid stripper/coarse steel.

5F5 is great stripper; if you can find it use it. Wear heavy gloves and long dleeves as the stuff burns a bit on contact. Like the above poster mentions be careful scraping edges and corners as the stripper tends to soften the wood up. I like to put on a lot of stripper, get the heavy stuff off with a 2" putty knife or Sandvik scraper then use steel wool and brass brushes to get the rest. Once stripped sand down well, prime and paint as you would normally. Don't let the stripper dry on the piece if you can help it.