Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob Thomas

Bucktail Jig hook ??

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Thinking about getting into heavier jig building. Found one that casts 4 & 5 oz smilebill style jigs but only takes 9/0 hooks. Is that too big? I would use them for, where-else, the Ditch.

Thanks

------------------

Bob Thomas

That's the right mold. Don't worry about what it says hook wise. For the 4oz I prefer 34184 and 34185 Mustad 8/0. For the 5oz only the 34184 8/0 leaves you enough bite smile.gif

TimS

I like the 34184's for all the jigs. The 8/0 34184 is a big hook. Big leap in size between the 7/0 and 8/0. Like about 2 or 3 increments bigger than the increment between the 6/0 and 7/0.

We decided this year that everything (Smilin bills 2 to 5 and 3 OZ balls and 3 and 4 OZ shad heads) in the future gets the 8/0 34184 except the 2 OZ balls which get a 7/0 34184.

I don't liked the shorter shanked 34185's.

Saltheart, I prefer the stronger 34185's than the longer 34184's. But that's probably because the vast majority of the jigs I use locally use size 7/0 and smaller hooks. At the Ditch I still prefer a 34185 8/0 over the long shanked 8/0 - too much leverage and swingin' around that 5oz chunk of lead can do with the long shanked hook. I'd rather see 'em buttoned tight to the jig with the shorter shank. Now none of the jigs you named are really suited for a 7/0 short shank...except maybe the 2oz ball, but even that's pushing it. On second thought, I prefer my 2oz SB's to have a 7/0 short or 8/0 short in them as well smile.gif

The only jig that I prefer to use that must have a 34184 8/0 is the 5oz...anything else and the huge gob of lead blocks the hook gap too much smile.gif

Just my preferrences and that's why they make both styles - so we can all be happy smile.gif

TimS

TimS... Do you have any plans for selling Shad Jigheads of 2.5 oz?

Big fish can modify cheap or unsuitable hooks, even if they are of correct" size, to make them to look like a pretzel or can break them where the wire gets thinned to borrow some material for the barb, sometimes just on the first chomp.

I try to always use the best hooks but sometimes you have to use what you have at hand. Curiously two of the four fish I have in the IGFA record book severly damaged the hooks, to a point that I was very lucky to land both of them. Both were caught on jigheads that were given to me by the manufacturers to test! They flunked the test and I returned both of them to the manufacturers so they could check them out. How can you complain?!?!? Bad jigheads but they caught record fish. Should I used them again? Only if I don't have anything else at hand smile.gif

I have also lost huge fish (probably the biggest ones) to a damaged hook. A weak hook can get away if it sets in a perfect way, but if it gets embedded in a way where the fulcrum is far from the mid point of the bend, you might have to say goodbye to your once in a lifetime fish. That is why I try always to use a hook strong enough so that it will not be bent or broken even if it sets in a way that leaves it more exposed to the power of the fish.

I can not prove it yet, but even though I have caught more fish on jigs without eyes, in the last three years I have been using mostly jigs with 3D eyes and I now feel a little uncomfortable when I am using one that does not have them. Maybe because I use these shad jighead cranking them back very slow.

Best wishes!

Sergio

[This message has been edited by Sergio (edited 09-24-2001).]

Thanks gang..

It's not so much "Size" that I'm worried about, it's being able to use smaller than a 9/0 in the mold. (ok...there is a "size" issue here) I just wanna make sure that I can go with the 8/0's and that they will work with the mold.

------------------

Bob Thomas

jigblocks.html

Aside from being grossly overpriced, the molds for the smiling bills require hooks which are much too large. I make my own molds out of wood. They last for about 20 castings before they burn out. I use regular hooks and add a small loop made with #19 stainless wire. I use 6/0 hooks for jigs upto about 2 ounces for the larger sizes I go up to 7/0. I make a lot of smaller sizes - about 1 1/2 ounces - with 5/0 hooks.