Dune Road

Rate this topic

126andy

Meadow has underground power lines and they get f'ed up every time there's an EXTREME high tide, the last hurricane being an example.

I feel for you in that you have a difficuly situation with Dune Road flooding, but due dilligance when purchasing your home would have made the problem apparent.

When my kids used to try to build castles in the sand at the beach - with the tide coming it - they would always get so sad when the rising waters wiped out their creations.

I always had a lot of fun doing it with them but they didn't understand that you can't build a house on the edge of the ocean and then get upset when a little water takes it away from you.

They fully understand this and they're only 9.

I guess some people who live on the ocean never got past toddler stage when it comes to this sort of thing. They're just like kids with money :laugh:

Oh, BTW:

Complaining and whining and crying that your house is falling into the sea when you're a child = Being a kid

Complaining and whining and crying that your house is falling into the sea when you're an adult = "lobbying" :laugh:

I thought you had me on ignore??? Temptation gets the best of us.

Listen dude, this thread aint about any beachouses flooding, its about a County Road, that was never engineered or built on a proper base.

The homeowners have no issues, most have several Rovers parked in their drive speced to wade in 3+ Feet of water.

The ones effected are the non suspecting visitor to the road, weather it be a staff member to a homeowner, serviceman, Town resident visiting one of the several public beaches, diners of 3 restaurants or simply your Sunday Driver, the sightseer.... These non suspecting drivers at best end up with a rusty car bottom simply cause they drove down a wet county road, or at worse, drive through suck up water, and end up with a totaled car cause salt water intruded into the cars engine.

TBD:wave:

TBD

CC

Agreed - as long as inevitable encroachment of the ocean doesn't make you cry, moan, whine and complain (sorry, I meant lobby ) for a "solution" ;)

That wasn't directed towards you Don - just the "lobbyists" :laugh:

I don't think TBD is moaning. He owns property that the county or town approved for building, they should have planned how they would maintain roads for suitable access. :idea:

I'm sure you would want the town or county to fix the road to your house if it had a drainage problem for example and flooded every time it rained.

Kind of like you bitching when your power was out for a week. ;)

I don't think TBD is moaning. He owns property that the county or town approved for building, they should have planned how they would maintain roads for suitable access. :idea:

I'm sure you would want the town or county to fix the road to your house if it had a drainage problem for example and flooded every time it rained.

Kind of like you bitching when your power was out for a week. ;)

Hey Don :wave: ,

I agree with you that, if there are homes, there should be reliable access and egress, that much is true. However, I look at this whole situation a little differently. I believe that years ago – even going back 25 years or so – nobody knew the damage that could be done to beaches by the building of groins (jetties). Also, even if there were no groins there EVER, the area has been and it seems will always be a very fragile piece of coastline. With that said, as bad as the area is, adding those groins just made a bad situation worse, and nobody knew that it would ever get to the point it’s at today. So, what we have is not really an inability to plan properly – I’m pretty sure the builders and engineers were doing the best they could, given what they knew at the time. Therefore, over time, that stretch of beach has been going through a “give and take” cycle for decades. Mother Nature takes, the Army Corps of Engineers gives, and the cycle goes on and on and on. As far as the road is concerned: I believe that when people with a lot of money to throw around start waving it in front of the faces of towns suffering for cash, then common sense goes out the window when it comes to planning for access and egress to a skinny strip of sand. The town tax collectors – desperate to fill their coffers – readily backed-up any idea of building “castles in the sand”. Unfortunately, the access and egress planning took a back seat – all they cared about was allowing the homes to be built so they could get the owners on the tax rolls. I guess you could say that the town was directly responsible for letting this happen, but it never would have happened at all if there were no homes there to protect and maintain. Do you think those groins would have gone up if there were no homes there? What would they be trying to protect? Surfcasting access to the Cupsogue side? I seriously doubt it. They only went up to protect those houses, and we all know how they worked out. Groins starve littoral sand drift and cause a “carved out” effect on the downdrift side. Look at any ocean-facing groin out there - there always seems to be an abundance of sand right in the east pocket and a carved-out area immediately to the west. This is because sand can’t drift naturally, which reduces the width of the beach, which causes the beach to become narrower and narrower, which eventually allows water to flow over the roads.

As far as my power being out for a week, that was a freakish situation caused by a hurricane the likes of which we haven't seen for quite a while. I don't live in a flood-prone area. Dune Road is a flood-prone area because it was fragile to begin with, was made even MORE delicate by the building of the groins and - let's face it - it's a BARRIER BEACH which is a bad place for development in the first place ;)

TBD:

Please. Don’t shed any crocodile tears for the Sunday day-trippers who ruins the sole family car by driving through salt water. We know what cloth you are cut from and you’ve made it VERY obvious from numerous past posts. You really couldn’t give a rat’s ass about these people. What you are really displaying here is selfishness and the desire to be “bailed out” once again, but couched in a veil of false altruism and concern for the common schmoes of the world. When you say you feel badly for “those” people what you’re really doing here is trying to prop up support for fixing Dune Road (at HUGE cost and possibly done at the state level) by making the problem appear to have more of a global effect and less of a local one. Sure, it DOES affect people like me who want to fish Cupsogue, or that family of day-trippers – but what do you expect when you ruin a beach by 1) building houses on it and then 2) are FORCED to TRY to protect those houses by dumping rockpiles along the beach which essentially dooms that stretch of sand? Maybe we should take OUT all the groins? Who is going to pay for that? Wait, let me guess… :mad:

<p><p></p></p>

Lipa is actually upgrading all systems and replacing all utility poles on Dune Road as we speak. I'm happy if it brings less outages but would have been extra thrilled if they used the opportunity to run everything underground and forget the poles, but I'm one voice.

TBD

Oh bI am all for you placing electric line underground! Where can I help you voice your opinion? I am all for this! :)

I thought you had me on ignore??? Temptation gets the best of us.

Listen dude, this thread aint about any beachouses flooding, its about a County Road, that was never engineered or built on a proper base.

The homeowners have no issues, most have several Rovers parked in their drive speced to wade in 3+ Feet of water.

The ones effected are the non suspecting visitor to the road, weather it be a staff member to a homeowner, serviceman, Town resident visiting one of the several public beaches, diners of 3 restaurants or simply your Sunday Driver, the sightseer.... These non suspecting drivers at best end up with a rusty car bottom simply cause they drove down a wet county road, or at worse, drive through suck up water, and end up with a totaled car cause salt water intruded into the cars engine.

TBD:wave:

:laugh:

OK So they have a land rover in their driveway, that means what?

Wait a minute how are these people not expecting a flooded road, either they have family that live there or they live there themselves, so how is this unsuspecting?

Darterman: If you lived on a street, that had a big pothole, and you saw unsuspecting folk after unsuspecting folk destroy their front end and you first hand witnessed the potential life threatening danger, would you just sit back and ignore it because you have learned how to avoid the hole, or would you stand up as a citizen on the street and try to have the hole repaired?

Make no mistake, that if I was being selfish, I would let the road stand as is :idea: Surely most cars obey the "road closed" sign causing less traffic down the road past my place during the floods :wave:

TBD

CC