Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
126andy

Dune Road

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Lipa is actually upgrading all systems and replacing all utility poles on Dune Road as we speak. I'm happy if it brings less outages but would have been extra thrilled if they used the opportunity to run everything underground and forget the poles, but I'm one voice.

As for the floods, that Road is not getting raised until wither the towns finances get better or the general public who travels DR voices their opinion, I feel for the folks that go for a Sunday scenic drive down the road and think a few inches of water is no concern till they see what it did to their undercarriage a week or so down the line.

TBD

Dune Rd. has been going underwater during extreme high tides for at least 25 years. Remember the Halloween storm, that took out all the poles east of Ponquogue, they're now on the horth side of the road. Sorry to say that's the way it is.

Dune Rd. has been going underwater during extreme high tides for at least 25 years. Remember the Halloween storm, that took out all the poles east of Ponquogue, they're now on the horth side of the road. Sorry to say that's the way it is.

Pac, it doesn't have to stay that way. At one time Dune Road flooded in various spots from inlet to inlet. Over time both Quogue Village and Westhampton Beach raised the road. Meadow Lane was raised in areas, so was Dune Road in Bridge.

I would think underground utilities in a low area like that would not be a good idea, especially with the salt water.

Take a look at meadow land and dune rd in bridge. Its all underground.

Lipa is actually upgrading all systems and replacing all utility poles on Dune Road as we speak. I'm happy if it brings less outages but would have been extra thrilled if they used the opportunity to run everything underground and forget the poles, but I'm one voice.

As for the floods, that Road is not getting raised until wither the towns finances get better or the general public who travels DR voices their opinion, I feel for the folks that go for a Sunday scenic drive down the road and think a few inches of water is no concern till they see what it did to their undercarriage a week or so down the line.

TBD

salt water plus electric lines = fires, you don't want that as the fire can communicate through the electric line conduits into private residences

You will never see Dune Road raised up. I grew up in Hampton Bays and during the 70's they were hot and heavy about raising the road. It never happened because it would cost just too much. The Ponquogue bridge when it started to go up the price was 3 million by the time they got done with all the fighting and the voting the monies in the bridge cost over 9 million. You'll never see that road raised.

Meadow has underground power lines and they get f'ed up every time there's an EXTREME high tide, the last hurricane being an example.

I feel for you in that you have a difficuly situation with Dune Road flooding, but due dilligance when purchasing your home would have made the problem apparent.

pac i did plenty due diligence when buying my home and owned other properties on the street years past and wrote of the road as something I can deal with. Still doesn't mean I can try to lobby for a fix.

Meadow has underground power lines and they get f'ed up every time there's an EXTREME high tide, the last hurricane being an example.

I feel for you in that you have a difficuly situation with Dune Road flooding, but due dilligance when purchasing your home would have made the problem apparent.

When my kids used to try to build castles in the sand at the beach - with the tide coming it - they would always get so sad when the rising waters wiped out their creations.

I always had a lot of fun doing it with them but they didn't understand that you can't build a house on the edge of the ocean and then get upset when a little water takes it away from you.

They fully understand this and they're only 9.

I guess some people who live on the ocean never got past toddler stage when it comes to this sort of thing. They're just like kids with money :laugh:

Oh, BTW:

Complaining and whining and crying that your house is falling into the sea when you're a child = Being a kid

Complaining and whining and crying that your house is falling into the sea when you're an adult = "lobbying" :laugh:

funny thing is that years ago people with money had the common sense to build on higher ground.inthe mid 50's my parents could have bought water front much cheaper than water front because of flooding. then in the 70's it became chic to build waterfront.if you play around the water learn to swim:)

Under ground utility lines on a sand bar will not work, Too much movement, There would be long term (Very expensive to repair) outages after any little storm.

+ The cost of maintaining an underground system on even stable ground (Like NYC) is astronomical compared to overhead, I could only imagine what the cost would be on a sand bar like Dune road .

I do think LIPA should install more & deeper set poles that would increase system reliability

Living in a flood zone is a choice, it is no different than someone living in an area prone to earthquakes. If it doesn't bother you that is all that matters.

Agreed - as long as inevitable encroachment of the ocean doesn't make you cry, moan, whine and complain (sorry, I meant lobby ) for a "solution" ;)

That wasn't directed towards you Don - just the "lobbyists" :laugh: