Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Canal Critter

This Past DT Raffle - Feedback

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

I wanted to start this thread looking for feedback on the raffle we held earlier this year. In my opinion it was a great success (We raised just over $5000) but I think there are some bugs that need to be worked out. Please use this thread to voice your opinions or thoughts, good or bad so we can create a well oiled machine in the future.

Is it worth doing again? Meaning, are you guys interested?

What would you do different?

I figured if we got some ideas out early it would go smoothly later on

We have always thrown our extra cash Children's way . Last year was the first time there was an actual fund raiser. There were complaints of it being too much work for some . A lot of drama , bad blood , and finger pointing . I had negative feed back from 2 contributors last year and wonder how many more are out there . A lot of Trolls don't post any more or participate. Is it worth it ?

First time out - $5K to the kids is pretty cool.

The draw itself was a well attended affair with the ever polite and gracious Miss Thomas and young Tyler both true Trolls and a nice counterpoint to that short chubby guy.

This started out as a reel and grew into a mountain. All the credit to those who gave.

Issues with rules and laws did not help.

A little scrapping because things got made up on the run as it grew WAY beyond expectations were unfortunate but probably unavoidable.

You are talking about Ditch Trolls here, not Wussies. There are some strong (but incredibly decent) personalities out there.

A second time around a little (may I use this word among Trolls) organization would work, but again who knew..

So, think ahead and spread the load.

Remember who this is going to, they are sick and scared.

If we can put together Trollfest (never use the word organize, see above) we can do this with no blood spilled and do some good.

I recognize that I am writing this from the Great North and that I am subject to "SH*T you aren't down here while we are trying to do this" so my apologies on that part but these are my polite, I hope, and heartfelt thoughts on what I thought was a very decent effort by a very decent group of people.

Best Regards

Puck

As an afterthought.re: Ditch Trolls not posting. Another password protected site (stops lurkers and yes I am a member), pulled a lot of guys off at the same time that this site was having problems staying up at more than the speed of molasses after its refit . (The site sucked at the time and Trolls do not like lurkers looking down their necks so that was a plus) .Also a lot of the young DTs prefer F>***book., that is where they live, For the young guys this is getting to be old school. I do not think it was the raffle. It may have ruffled some fins at the time but I think we can get over it.

We have always thrown our extra cash Children's way . Last year was the first time there was an actual fund raiser. There were complaints of it being too much work for some . A lot of drama , bad blood , and finger pointing . I had negative feed back from 2 contributors last year and wonder how many more are out there . A lot of Trolls don't post any more or participate. Is it worth it ?

Is it worth it is the question, which is partially why I started this thread. Its better to air it out here if there's a problem or give a great idea if there is one.

I was not there last year, but did contribute some plugs, so take my word for what it's worth (very little). There was $5,000 raised for the nameless hospital catering to children. That money goes a LONG way in helping children and their families living in hospitals for weeks, months, or years at a time. Many people contributed to the success of the raffle last year (some a lot more than others). If people want to take control of an event such as this to raise and donate money on behalf of the trolls, why is there an issue? Maybe guys feel obligated to be in attendance, and it's taking away from their fishing time while they are there for the weekend? Maybe people don't like to mingle with others? Maybe people don't like any "change"? I don't know.

I would maybe recommend doing something at a different time of year, but then that would be more "organizing" and planning involved.

I hardly have a free minute to wipe my own a** right now, but will contibute however I can to next year's raffle. $5,000 is a great success, and hopefully it goes higher for years to come.

I think the people who had their feelings hurt should talk it out like adults face to face and not take cheap shots at each other in these threads. If there is a chance of raising $5000 or more again for the kids then I think we should do it. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

I think the people who had their feelings hurt should talk it out like adults face to face and not take cheap shots at each other in these threads. If there is a chance of raising $5000 or more again for the kids then I think we should do it. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

x2

x3

In my opinion some level of organization is necessary so if this is something the club is considering I suggest a meeting for anyone interested. Everyone should be able to participate in some way, but in my experience you don't want more than 4 or 5 people working out the details or it will be a huge mess. Last year Mike, Tagger and I collaborated on most of the details, but there were a bunch of trolls behind the scenes who were able to participate by soliciting or making donations or just supporting the effort by getting the word out. That being said if M&D and some of the founding Trolls are not on board I don't recommend pursuing this.

I was unaware of any contributors having an issue with the raffle, I would be interested in hearing their concerns. Evaluating both negative and positive feedback is how an event like this improves. If this does progress it would be nice if people shared any feedback or opinions they have even if they don't necessarily want to participate.

I was not there last year, but did contribute some plugs, so take my word for what it's worth (very little). There was $5,000 raised for the nameless hospital catering to children. That money goes a LONG way in helping children and their families living in hospitals for weeks, months, or years at a time. Many people contributed to the success of the raffle last year (some a lot more than others). If people want to take control of an event such as this to raise and donate money on behalf of the trolls, why is there an issue? Maybe guys feel obligated to be in attendance, and it's taking away from their fishing time while they are there for the weekend? Maybe people don't like to mingle with others? Maybe people don't like any "change"? I don't know.

I would maybe recommend doing something at a different time of year, but then that would be more "organizing" and planning involved.

I hardly have a free minute to wipe my own a** right now, but will contibute however I can to next year's raffle. $5,000 is a great success, and hopefully it goes higher for years to come.

Just a thought...

it might pay to have another "drive by" participation option for those on tight schedules... either some kind of collection box/person (be sure to document the balance in there throughout the event) to go along with "the main event."

That way, people can choose their level of participation based on how much time they have/are willing to give on any given weekend... in the end, the money will all end up going to charity anyways...

just an idea. :o

MY thoughts and they mean little seeing im a new guy but i think raffles are great , i think helping sick kids is great but this is a fishing group , and i think it would be great to help our own , maybe 1/2 could go to a troll 1/2 could go to sick kids , in this horrible economy there are some folks here that could realy use that kind of money , swag , gear or whatever , and i think that alone would probably double the sales of tickets alone so the bottom line would still be a great help to the sick kids and a awesome help to a troll in need .