Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjdbike

Atoms & Pikies & other swimmers?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Still on my quest to understand the tools of the trade. So may different styles of metal lipped swimmers it's overwhelming. They range from beautiful, artistic and very life-like to looking like a piece of a broom handle. I know they all have their place. I'm guessing some of the most beautiful only catch fishermen (like me) and some of the broom handles have been catching fish for decades.

What are the strengths and purpose of pikies and atoms, vs other wooden swimmers?

Please share where your diferent style swimmers fit into your arsenal?

Thanks!

JD

They are all surface/near surface swimmers.

Pikies = 100% of plug in water

Atoms = 85% of plug in water

Dannys = 70% of plug in water

Not sure where Surfsters land on that scale.

They are all surface/near surface swimmers.

Pikies = 100% of plug in water

Atoms = 85% of plug in water

Dannys = 70% of plug in water

Not sure where Surfsters land on that scale.

Pikies -- on or well below the surface.

Atoms -- See above (Pikies)

Danny's -- See above (Pikies)

It's tough to say what plug is best where. for the way I make plugs here is GENERALLY how I design them.

Pikies -- Head digs down, tail up making a good wake. decent roll, but the don't roll out... EVER. In a big rip, or the pull of a wave they will go subsurface.

Atoms -- More of a level swim. Wider slower action. Good in moderate to decent surf conditions.

Danny's -- I design mine to stay up top on a moderate retrieve. I like them to swim at a crawl. They will roll out in a big rip, and not my choice for bigger water/wind.

I know guys that design Pikies that swim down below the surface (I Believe GRS pikies do this...and obviously... they work).

Rockfish9 like his atoms to swim below the surface also as do RuRu danny's.

So with lures as in life... it depends.

So I guess instead of getting a style of plug to work an area of the water column, get a SPECIFIC plug to work that section of the water column/conditions.

Both were very helpful, thank you for that!

I need to add Pikies to my shopping list.

What builder's Pikies do you guys generally like best for swimming near the surface in bigger wind & surf?

Thanks again!

JD

Both were very helpful, thank you for that!

I need to add Pikies to my shopping list.

What builder's Pikies do you guys generally like best for swimming near the surface in bigger wind & surf?

Thanks again!

JD

If the wind is in my face, I'm likely not throwing a pikies that is going to stay up top, unless the fish are at my feet. Just the nature of the beast. lighter plug usually cast like crap. If the wind is in my face and I feel the overwhelming need to cast a metal lip, I'm usually reaching for a Jr (BM's cast well but I roll my own) or another low profile swimmer.

Big wind and big surf to me means bottle plugs. Metal lips will not cast well into wind.

Jfig pretty much summed up the rest for you. I would add surfsers. These are surface swimmers. Good tail wag and some roll. Nice wake. Better for calmer conditions.

Jigman

Here's a thread that some of us have been working on for a few years.  Should have a lot of what you're looking for.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/565806/how-about-a-how-to-fish-a-thread

Specifically check out page 5 for a lot of info on metal lips.  Only one not covered that you asked about (I think) are pikies.