Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TLDig

Christmas Family Tackle... need your opinion...

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

This always happens.

We ask for a little, and you guys give. A lot. :p

So now mrs biggene and I face a conundrum. You gave too much! :laugh:

I just saw the picture of the amount of tackle that was donated to the Christmas Family this year. It was a really good thing I was sitting down when mrs biggene sent the pictures of the damage done by you guys! Wow is all I can say.

So here is the problem (not really a problem)... you guys donated some really great stuff.. but you donated it to the Christmas Family. There's no way this family could EVER use all the stuff you sent. So this is what we were thinking... and since you guys are the ones who donated all the awesome stuff, and we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or go behind anyone who donated with this particular family in mind, we came up with a couple options...

Please let us know what you think would be the best choice by posting your choice in this thread. I'm not going to do a poll, because I haven't figured out how to do it yet on this new platform.. plus I actually want to hear your comments too!

Our first option is that we were thinking of getting a very LARGE tackle box. filling it and the plug bag that Kadir donated full of all the stuff they will ever need and then some... and then take what was left over (and there will be a lot) and dividing it up into two or three lots of stuff and auctioning it off, with the money raised to go back into the Christmas Family Fund.

The second option is to find out if there is another family out there that fishes for stripers and the likes and putting together another tackle box or so and gifting it to them as a mini-Christmas Family. Now this would require a lot... first, it has to be a family that fits our criteria. Small children, hard working parent(s) who are really really trying but just can't pull it off...

The third option we thought of is to find some kind of fishing program for kids. I think passiton used to do something like that... or a local Boy Scout or Boys and Girls club or some other kind of group that takes kids out into the salt water to take them fishing and donating the extreme overage of donations to that program for Christmas as a gift from SOL.

These are the three options we thought would be the absolute most fair to those who donated tackle to the Christmas Family Fund. We'd really love to hear your feedback on this.

If you choose the second or third option, it would be great if you had some kind of idea on where it would go too!

Again, thank you ALL so much for your very generous donations to the Christmas Family Fund. You guys absolutely rock!

Just a sneak peek at the tremendous amount of tackle that YOU guys donated to this year's Christmas Family.

I am also going to say that if it were up to me, I would choose option 3.

It would make a LOT of kids happy. In one fell swoop... but I don't live up there and don't know who runs the groups, and what groups there are that kids could really benefit from a donation like this.

I like option 3

I'm sure there are plenty of kids clubs or even a scout trout who could some stuff.

I know our scout camp has zero $$ for fishing stuff so usually they get a nice little box every summer with lures, hooks and such.

Even Special Olympics in Delaware runs a fishing day for the kids at Cape Henelopen and I'm pretty sure they are always looking for stuff.

Just a thought about two birds with one stone; but, I can see difficulties that prevent consideration of this as a serious suggestion so maybe it's just a good intentioned thought:

You pointed out possibilities of clubs that do things for kids (and others too for that matter) around an interest in fishing, e.g. clinics, contests; et cetera. I know of some and read of others in posts here on SOL.

I had thought that it would be nice if these folks (organizations) were already lined up for an auction, of which the proceeds go to the Christmas family and the winning bidder could use them for some activities for which they would be buying this type of stuff for "give-a-ways" or as prizes. Again, I'm sure this just can't happen, but it might have been nice all the way around.

EDIT:  Never-mind, the coffee just started to work.  Those gifts/supplies are usually donated, aren't they?   bucktooth.gif

IMO this whole idea was to help out a "Needy" Family. Most of the groups mentioned have funds, drives & parents with money!

I think that you should focus on familys that don't have anything. Either have an auction of some sort that raise money to help feed some needy family or give to some kind of food bank.

Giving the extras to organizations IMO get lost in the shuffle. The kids never get to keep anything & things get lost!

I just think the gifts are for the Kids & Families that need it.

I run The Casting Crew at High Point Regiobnal High School We're a fishing club with an emphasis on stewardship. SOL has helped us out many, many times and we've been the recipient of a lot of free or greatly reduced gear. We used some of that gear on a night trip to Sandy Hook two weeks ago. We'll use some more when we go steelheading next week on Lake Ontario tribs.

Up to this year we were still starving for a lot of gear. We did, however, manage to obtain a nice chunk of money and are happily spending it on quality tackle for the kids. Little bastages are going to be fishing with better quality stuff than I use much of the time. I'm also accesing the club gear for my boy scout troop.

We can always use additonal gear/tackle and it does get directly used by the kids. We would gladly accept this, but I'd certianly vote for another group if they had a greater level of need. It sucked scrambling for money the past three years, laying out my own cash, and rigging kids with half-arsed gear that detracted from their pleasure and learning. IMO, if another group is still in that scenario they should get this.

I think flytyingguy is spot on. This is the Christmas Family "Fund"

I read a post just the other day and it said the cash flow was short this year. It appears that some of the guys/gals had an easier time donating some tackle while dollars are short.

I think we should outfit our present family then auction off the remaining tackle to raise a few bucks. Pour it back into the family or feed another needy few.

Awesome job by all involved.

All the options require additional work for Tammy - the one requiring the most additional work for Tammy would be to auction the tackle off and turn it into cash to give to the Christmas Family :b: The auction is a lot of work...pictures, auctioning, selling, collecting the $$, shipping, etc, etc.

So I propose the following - we save Tammy the work and find a kids/fishing group to donate the additional tackle to and SOL will send an additional $200 to the Christmas Family :idea: Kind of a win/win thing :)

TimS

All the options require additional work for Tammy - the one requiring the most additional work for Tammy would be to auction the tackle off and turn it into cash to give to the Christmas Family :b: The auction is a lot of work...pictures, auctioning, selling, collecting the $$, shipping, etc, etc.

So I propose the following - we save Tammy the work and find a kids/fishing group to donate the additional tackle to and SOL will send an additional $200 to the Christmas Family :idea: Kind of a win/win thing :)

TimS

If this is done please check with the guys at Shark River Surf Anglers. The club gives instructional sessions to kids and parents in Belmar a couple times a year.

If this is done please check with the guys at Shark River Surf Anglers. The club gives instructional sessions to kids and parents in Belmar a couple times a year.

I would also second the SRSA, as they consistently donate to the Christmas Family Fund and because SOL has always had a great relationship with them.

I also received a very touching PM from a couple of kids who love to fish more than anything, and worked all summer long to buy themselves each a decent rod. Dad works hard but just can't support their fishing habit. If we are going to take Timmy up on the 200 bucks, which is probably about what we would get in an auction, and would be much needed cash for the fund this year, I would like to ask permission to put together a small tackle box with some plugs and other stuff and present those kids with that for Christmas, too. I like the idea of helping those who are working to help themselves. Not many teenagers out there working summer jobs to buy fishing rods.

That would keep in line with our helping those that are in need, with our goal of helping get and keep kids fishing and for some reason, to me, it just FEELS right.

Timmy, that's a VERY generous offer.

What do you guys think?

I donated stuff to help folks out. Whatever is best for helping folks out is cool with me. All of the suggestions that have been mentioned in this thread are good ideas. You probably have a better feel for what would be most useful, so whatever you decide I support :)

Jigman

I would also second the SRSA, as they consistently donate to the Christmas Family Fund and because SOL has always had a great relationship with them.

I also received a very touching PM from a couple of kids who love to fish more than anything, and worked all summer long to buy themselves each a decent rod. Dad works hard but just can't support their fishing habit. If we are going to take Timmy up on the 200 bucks, which is probably about what we would get in an auction, and would be much needed cash for the fund this year, I would like to ask permission to put together a small tackle box with some plugs and other stuff and present those kids with that for Christmas, too. I like the idea of helping those who are working to help themselves. Not many teenagers out there working summer jobs to buy fishing rods.

That would keep in line with our helping those that are in need, with our goal of helping get and keep kids fishing and for some reason, to me, it just FEELS right.

Timmy, that's a VERY generous offer.

What do you guys think?

:th::clap:

TimS

I second this idea. Keeps it simple for Tammy and crew, they get some more $$$ to work with, and kids make out with tackle. Perfect.

The SRSA would be fine with me. They sure seem to pull a heavy weight trying to cover all that they support and with Tim ponying up additional cash for the Christmas Fund Family, everyone wins. And Tim and Tammy teaming together once again demonstrates why this is not only an exceptional fishing site but a great site period regardless of genre.:hi5: