Fast addition of a teaser—two overhand knots

Rate this topic

inthered

Disclaimer:  I claim this to be nothing more than FYI.  It came to me in one of my 2+2 “mother of invention” modes when I was fishing last week and was apparently too lazy to do more to affix a teaser to what I was already fishing with. 

(I’m not claiming to be an inventor; I’m just admitting to sometimes looking for a lazy—fast or easy—way out, and for me this was a novel application of something else that I had been doing for years.)

teasers.jpg

Imagine the red for the teaser, the tag end towards your lure.  Imagine the green tag end as running to the reel.  The overhand knot in the green leader can be tied without removing the lure (for those who tie directly, w/o clips).

The teaser will arc away from the main line.

At my age, just about everything pisses me off!

The overhand knot in your main line, or leader will reduce it's strength by about 50 %. The overhand knot in your teaser leader will probably slip, that's why clinch knots have 4 -7 turns. Hate to be negative, but I would rather spend the few minutes to use accepted knots.;)

.........Elvis lives....2020

Another fast addition of a teaser is to have your teaser pretied to a leader with a small "paper clip" type clip. The teaser can then be clipped onto your swivel where your main leader is attached. This method allows easy connection and removal of the teaser without having to retie. I hope this makes sense... it is kind of hard to explain clearly in words.

Another fast addition of a teaser is to have your teaser pretied to a leader with a small "paper clip" type clip. The teaser can then be clipped onto your swivel where your main leader is attached. This method allows easy connection and removal of the teaser without having to retie. I hope this makes sense... it is kind of hard to explain clearly in words.

I get what yer sayin Matey I do it my self.... I also like the original idea

Some times the way out is thru.........

Hi Stewie, yeah, I don't usually do this, but I can say that I have been using this for making a loop for the eye of the teaser to freely move about and have never lost a fish because the loop gave out. 

I usually plan ahead for using a teaser.  When connecting leader to mono (20# to 12#) I'll do a surgeon's knot leaving a long tag end on the leader, to which I tie the teaser (on the loop made in this fashion).

I only tried this once and hadn't caught a fish. Actually, I haven't caught a fish (striper) this fall.  confused.gif

Others thank you for pointing out the problems--and point out why I claimed nothing about this other than:  Hey!  Look what I did!   bucktooth.gif

smile.gif   For me, it was a reminder about being lazy!  I never understood this at the time, but my mom would always notice "a lazy man's load" whenever I was putting away toys in an arm load that couldn't possible hold more.

I've lost a very good fish(or two) because I used the tag end of an improved clinch knot as my teaser lead. I was using 40 lb mono attached to 50 lb braid. I got my swivel back. The pop may have been caused by two large fish going in opposite directions, thus no slipping on the drag could help. After this I always used the strongest knots I could learn. It is the trophy bass that will take advantage of weak links.

Even if you have only been catching baby schoolies, there is always the chance that their mama is with them. ;)

I pre-tie my teasers on a short length of mono or florocarbon with a loop made from the rapala knot or a double bowline. Just slip it on the barrel swivel of the leader when i want to use it or slip it off. I keep them in a leader wallet inside the bag.

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"

I use a 10-12 foot leader now, so no swivel. I tie a 4 or 5 inch dropper loop 30 inches from my clip. I just poke the loop through the teaser, pass it through the loop and pull tight. The loop knot weakens the leader by 40-50%, but with a 50 lb leader, that's still 25 pounds, a lot tighter than my drag (usually) :huh:

I use a Dropper Loop about 10"-12" down from the swivel. A little tricky to tie, but I like how it stands away from the leader and keeps the teaser from getting fowled with the leader. All my teasers have a small length of mono with a Surgeons loop on the end that I loop through the Dropper Loop. Easy on easy off...in under a minute I can go with or without teaser.

Stewie, in my case, I may be the weakest link.  tongue.gif

You don't want to get me thinking about catching a really big one.  I'd probably need to improve my chances by leaving Jersey and going north. cwm40.gif

My biggest fish have been 25#; however, bigger fish won't make me any happier.  I do have to admit a really big fish would really be nice.  I have to admit too that I just really enjoy getting out; however, catching a fish would really be nice.  wink.gif

About you guys using loops to which to attach the teaser, I understand full well how it done and how practical it is.

I know too that this makes no difference, but I'm one for those guys.  kooky.gif    I like—for no useful reason—to allow the teaser to move more freely, e.g. if tying a surgeon’s loop, I’d put a single strand of line through the eye, making this the end of the loop (with fly) in tying the surgeon’s loop.

This is just me. bucktooth.gif

You don't want to get me thinking about catching a really big one. I'd probably need to improve my chances by leaving Jersey and going north. cwm40.gif

..........and buying a boat. ;)

I know some who have a boat and do the beach thing.  I asked which they like better and the answer was boat.

Not me!  upck.gif

But there's two more reasons I like the beach better:

• easy clean-up; and,

• boat fish don't count--if you're trolling, the boat catches the fish; the fisherman just reels them in.   wink.gif