Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
golden

Calcutta Braid

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

So, I bought some Calcutta braid (think made by tuf-line?), 20#, on a sustain 5000, with 15# fluro leader. Gotta say, this cast like a million bucks. super distance, held up to a big screaming albie, lays down nice, and easy to work with. this was day one. How do you guys compare it to others? I like it better than my standard sufix, and my older standard PP.

I also moved from the extremely expensive and extremely fragile 18# Samurai braid (on the stradic Ci4 4000) to the Calcutta 20# you are referring to. I wish I never got involved with the Daiwa line but the Calcutta has restored my line confidence completely and has clearly outperformed the sammy at a fraction of the cost. Yeah its noisier going thru the guides and its thicker but it casts great and holds a screaming tunoid just fine (as you noted).

I don't see it as any better performing than Sufix performance braid, 832, or Powerpro, but it costs far less and that in itself gives it an advantage. I only have a couple of weeks and a dozen or so albies on it so I reserve judgement as far as long term goes but so far so good. At $44.49 shipped for a 1500 yd. spool at the auction site I don't see how you can lose. The Samurai was almost twice that for a 300 yd. spool of 18#!:shock: and performed like poop. I will try complaining to Daiwa about the lost lures and fish but I'll not likely go back.

I also moved from the extremely expensive and extremely fragile 18# Samurai braid (on the stradic Ci4 4000) to the Calcutta 20# you are referring to. I wish I never got involved with the Daiwa line but the Calcutta has restored my line confidence completely and has clearly outperformed the sammy at a fraction of the cost. Yeah its noisier going thru the guides and its thicker but it casts great and holds a screaming tunoid just fine (as you noted).

I don't see it as any better performing than Sufix performance braid, 832, or Powerpro, but it costs far less and that in itself gives it an advantage. I only have a couple of weeks and a dozen or so albies on it so I reserve judgement as far as long term goes but so far so good. At $44.49 shipped for a 1500 yd. spool at the auction site I don't see how you can lose. The Samurai was almost twice that for a 300 yd. spool of 18#!:shock: and performed like poop. I will try complaining to Daiwa about the lost lures and fish but I'll not likely go back.

i looked into this vraid. just curious have you ever used other samurai braid strengths. I have used 40lb on 3 reels for 2 years now. zero windknots and no breakoffs i love it, just costs too much

I use Stren Braid. As far as others?....don't know, won't fix whats not broke. Have heard good things about the Calcutta stuff though. And i only use it on my smaller fluking rods for the yak. I'm a mono guy.

i looked into this vraid. just curious have you ever used other samurai braid strengths. I have used 40lb on 3 reels for 2 years now. zero windknots and no breakoffs i love it, just costs too much

I used the 30# with another spool on the Ci4. I was loving it for a while until a loop popped down the spool while casting (in severe wind) and the friction parted the loop half way down the 150 yards on the spool. The top half blew away in a bright wind and I lost another deadly dick, plus 75 yards and thus the 150yds. was now rendered useless. The stuff is thin, but I'm convinced it is because of severe underrating of reported line strength. The 18# acted like others 10# and the 30# acted like others 20#. Love its thinness and quietness but it is way too delicate and expensive to be my line of choice. The lighter the line the more evident the problem and the more Daiwa charges for it. :thdwn: