Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimbighead

Reel Mechanics

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

Looking for recommendations for overhaul service for my gear. Aside from general maintenance, my overhaul skills are limited, as is my time to learn, and dedicate to it.

Anyone have a suggestion for any shops/resources in the Portland area?

Looking to overhaul my:

Shimano Baitrunners (3500B, 4000D, 4500B, 6500B)

Shimano Soccoro 10000F

Penn 740z

Thanks for the help

Cheers,

Jim

Jim you can box em up and send them to Buckos in Fall River. Those guys are listed on the shimano site and work on all reels. I think Martha down at Surfland is back to her regular teaching job but give a call .She might be wrenching on the weekends. She can do those reels blindfolded.

Bucko's. Go online and print the reel repair ticket. Print it and mail out the reels. They are very good at what they do and very reasonably priced.

I do think it's great to use local businesses, I can't vouch for Luke's myself though my experience with Bucko's (some 6 years ago) left me unsatisfied.   If you don't use Luke's I'd strongly recommend sending the Shimano reels back to the factory in CA, not to any of the regional centers.  The difference in quality, extent of work, and overall cost will all be better straight from the factory repair center.  They have flat rate service charges, and unlike regional centers they don't have to worry about getting reimbursed from Shimano so they go right through and fix/replace things other places might pass over.  You can even arrange to talk the very person who is working on reels.  The key is to list every tiny thing about the reel you believe needs attention.  There are numerous threads in the main forum about the Shimano factory repair center, with virtually 100% approval. 

Send the reels back to Shimano. One flat price with no extras and most of the time it's bill you later. Sometimes they won't even charge you and even better is when they give you a new reel off the shelf.

The most Bucko's will charge you is 50% of the cost of the reel if it needs that much work. 10 years ago I mailed 6 reels and 5 were 50% of the value. It was very expensive. But I got to thank Buckos. It forced me into servicing my own reels. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbighead View Post

Thanks guys,

id rather use a local source as well, sounds like this is an overwhelming referral

I for one will send several to him this winter

Jim

Jim,

Please posts results and especially cost when you get the reels back.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see a comparison.  Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post

Send the reels back to Shimano. One flat price with no extras and most of the time it's bill you later. Sometimes they won't even charge you and even better is when they give you a new reel off the shelf.

The most Bucko's will charge you is 50% of the cost of the reel if it needs that much work. 10 years ago I mailed 6 reels and 5 were 50% of the value. It was very expensive. But I got to thank Buckos. It forced me into servicing my own reels. biggrin.gif

Yes, two things that smaller/regional places just can't do.  I've seen them just replace reels right up into the $150 range, and if I'm not mistaken, any reel sent back that retails for under $70 (or maybe slightly more now) is automatically replaced at the flat rate because it's cheaper for them than spending any time repairing it.