Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Diesel crate engines

13 posts in this topic

I would imagine you could order just about any engine in production from a car manufacturer.

If you are thinking about dropping a Duramax or Powerstroke in a 1500 or F-150, that's a whole other story :scared:

They are available, but quite pricey. Like Fishn808 said you can get them for just about anything on the road from a dealer. There are aftermarket company's like Jasper that make stock'ish rebuilds and then there are others that specialize in performance engines as well. Ether way a diesel crate motor is going to cost upwards of 5k depending on how complete you want the engine and you still have to install it.

Not to worry. I was thinking out loud and nothing more. I have poorer tool skills then your average hamster and the most complex tool I can operate, outside of the car, is an axe on firewood.

Brian,

I bought a JASPER motor for my ambulance.

As I recall, it cost $4500 eight years ago.

There are cheaper rebuilders in the Bronx.

I think the tolerances on Diesel are sloppier.

My Quigley is still running strong!

AMMO

There are a few places that have "crate diesels" but most are built to spec. type places. There are companys that will do conversions , like a 5..9 Cummins into a F-250 Ford or whatever. Not to get off subject but one of the coolest swaps I have seen that is offered by a company is taking a FJ-80 or FJZ-80 Toyota and put a modern Toyota V6. They say it makes the 80 like a whole new animal. If you have ever drove or owned an 80 you would know how IMO piss poor the I-6 is on power and fuel!!

They are available, but cost $$$$$

Your best bet is to find a good (possibly already rebuilt) used engine. I found my 4BT in a tater truck (Frito Lay), the engine had about 50K miles on the rebuild (by Cummins), I painted it. The first swap I did was with a Nissan SD33 engine (when article was written).

http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredvehicles/154_0805_1978_jeep_cj7_yj_tj/viewall.html

Started out as a $300 body and frame.

onframe.jpg

P2080001.jpg

Those are better photos then we sometimes get when guys are illustrating a technical point for the rest of us. Good job.

I'm totally clueless as to the work this entails, though obviously there's a lot to do, but I will happily try to follow any discussion of this that follows.