Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kcin85

herring ban

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Once upon a time there was this place called "the ditch" and it had a very bad year that spring for their annual herring run. So the state put the ditch under a microscope and all of New England paid for it! THE END! :mad:

Personally, I hope they never lift the ban. Yeah, herring caught fish, but IMO it took too much time to get them, to much work to try to keep half alive, and most of the time they limited you to where you could fish.

The last few years my crew and I did just about as well with rubber shad type lures when the herring were around. One of the guys in our Canal Sportsman Club got a spring bass in the mid 40's on a big Tsunami shad.

Once upon a time there was this place called "the ditch" and it had a very bad year that spring for their annual herring run. So the state put the ditch under a microscope and all of New England paid for it! THE END! :mad:

Wow!! Amazing how short sighted and selfish we can be! If you think that one year and one run and a bunch of Herring huggers are the reason that you must 'suffer' by not using live Herring on your recreational outings. That makes all of Ma. 'suffer' theres no hope for you or us for that matter. Do just a tiny bit of research! Education is not the bad word that it is made out to be!!:confused::shock::thdwn:

Don't get mad chef if the truth hurts so be it. That's basically how it went down. I may not be a certified canal rat, but It (ditch) does hold a special place in my heart. I absolutely love Cape Cod and grewup fishing there. Your anger should lie with the feds for the mismanagement, at least mine does. And I said all of NE, not just Ma or myself. Wait until both sides of the government takes away bunker, what's next macks. Soon you'll be just allowed to just paddle out and watch a blitz with you grandchildren, instead of casting into them. I don't mind being called selfish, if it means stating my opinion. I don't have a problem throwing plastic to catch bass instead of using herring, in fact I'm quite good at it. I just don't like being told my annual spring kickoff of livelining a few herring is unlawful. Yeah it requires some work, netting, sometimes stalking, and taking the time 'n care to bring quality baits to the bass, but it was always an annual tradition now turned history. Think of how many annual traditions you take for granted, which could then be told were unlawful, you can't do it anymore, your breaking the law because of somebody else's greed. I think it would irritate the crap out of you, just for principal's sake. The herring ban is always a touchy subject no matter which side your on. Just remember it's un-american to take a dump on someone's god given right to express his or her thoughts. Cue the national anthem Johnny.... :soapbox:

Don't get mad chef if the truth hurts so be it. That's basically how it went down. I may not be a certified canal rat, but It (ditch) does hold a special place in my heart. I absolutely love Cape Cod and grewup fishing there. Your anger should lie with the feds for the mismanagement, at least mine does. And I said all of NE, not just Ma or myself. Wait until both sides of the government takes away bunker, what's next macks. Soon you'll be just allowed to just paddle out and watch a blitz with you grandchildren, instead of casting into them. I don't mind being called selfish, if it means stating my opinion. I don't have a problem throwing plastic to catch bass instead of using herring, in fact I'm quite good at it. I just don't like being told my annual spring kickoff of livelining a few herring is unlawful. Yeah it requires some work, netting, sometimes stalking, and taking the time 'n care to bring quality baits to the bass, but it was always an annual tradition now turned history. Think of how many annual traditions you take for granted, which could then be told were unlawful, you can't do it anymore, your breaking the law because of somebody else's greed. I think it would irritate the crap out of you, just for principal's sake. The herring ban is always a touchy subject no matter which side your on. Just remember it's un-american to take a dump on someone's god given right to express his or her thoughts. Cue the national anthem Johnny.... :soapbox:

OK, now for some real facts. :read:

The Bournedale Run is down 97% since the year 2001! :read: It that a good enough reason for you? :rolleyes:

No, gubmint agencies are not taking away your right to live-line herring, they're only trying to protect what few herring we have left from going the way of the do-do bird and the passenger pigeon. These figures are not made up, but hard and cold numbers supplied to the Town of Bourne by the Ma Div of Marine Fisheries, anadromous fishery managers. (numbers counted on an actual fish counter)

I love fishing live herring too, but even I realize saving the few herring we have to keep their life cycle going, outweighs the short term pleasure of sticking a hook in the nose of a live herring, and catching a few bass each spring.

OK, now for some real facts. :read:

The Bournedale Run is down 97% since the year 2001! :read: It that a good enough reason for you? :rolleyes:

No gubmint agencies are not taking away your right to live-line herring, they're only trying to protect what few herring we have left from going the way of the do-do bird and the passenger pigeon. These figures are not made up, but hard and cold numbers supplied to the Town of Bourne by the Ma Div of Marine Fisheries, anadromous fishery managers. (numbers counted on an actual fish counter)

I love fishing live herring too, but even I realize saving the few herring we have to keep their life cycle going, outweighs the short term pleasure of sticking a hook in the nose of a live herring, and catching a few bass each spring.

Thank you Bob, i was just about to lose my eggs, or start tossing some F's and S's at this notion. What a joke.