Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lamiloomiland

Looking for St. Croix Legend Elite Balnks

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I put this request in BST forum... but also like to post in this forum...

It's a long shot but I'm looking for a couple of St. Croix Legend Elite Salmon/Steelhead blanks. Anyone have the following blanks?

1) 5SC96MF2-G (9'6") (8-12oz)

2) 5SC96MHF2-G (9'6") (8-17oz)

Please let me know if have these blank laying around.

Thanks

Hey SM250. I am well. Hope all is well with you.

Yeah, it's somewhat ironic and depressing how I became interested in the St. Croix blanks. Living in Woodland, WA I have been spoiled by having Lamiglas, G.Loomis before Shimano... now North Fork Composites, Talon, Batson Enterprises & Sage about 3 hours away. Over the years of collecting rods, I slowly gravitated towards Lamiglas. Now 40 out of the 50 rods on my racks are Lamiglas. Before I rag on Lamiglas, I must first give credit for their outstanding C/S and warranty.

I love my XMG rods for chasing salmons & steelheads but I personally have experienced 2 or 3 break every year. I know it's an inherited issue in high modulus blanks but it's FREAKEN ANNOYING!!!!! I even custom built on an XMG blank last winter and it broke the first time out. Lamiglas always stand behind their rods and blanks but usually take 4 weeks to mend the problem.

I did cry my sorrow to Angler's Workshop and they showed me some SCv St Croix blanks. I was very impressed with the St. Croix, and at this fragile stage of my loyalty, I am looking at greener pastures. The SCv are not cheap blanks averaging around $200 msrp. Angler's want full msrp for their St Croix. MH currently have their St Croix blanks on sale... which I am eyeing. I wanted to see if by some long shot, some fellow member here on SOL may have some surplus of these blanks I may pick up for less, or on some trade agreement. It's a very long shot though.

Ahh I see. No problem!! I have been getting some input on the eastcoast salmon run in Upper New York. These guys are looking for softer tips but a azz load of power. They are using mostly 6-10 pound test. So I have been getting them a nice blend blank that just with feel they like but they must be fished. They have had the same problems with the "high mod" so I blended IM-6 (some are IM-7) in the tip section and kept the high stuff in the butt and bottom of the tip. It give the tip a nice give but once they hit the power section.. game on!!

As I said these still need to be fished but they liked the way these bent. Just an idea for ya!! Might be a whole different game where they fish from where you fish. They also are getting away from these fast action salt fly blanks (9/10wt) and are looking more to the same wt. but with a easier loading action. That's what's great about fishing the "I using this" always changes every few years!!

We need to hook up when I get out there!! Have a good one!

You hit it on the head SM250. I usually fish with 8# main/8# leader in the summer when the river is clear and low. In the fall, I use 10#/10#. When the Chinooks are in the river I'll would pack an extra rod running 12/12. I am not confident enough to 6# yet. With the lines I use, the XMG EXC92M rated 8-15# should never break under pressure. If the rods were high-stick, then sure, I can understand. If it's loaded correctly, the line should always break before he rod. I lost a 20+lb chinook right at the bank the other night when my XMG broke. Including my 2 broken XMG this season, I have seen 4 other XMG break from other fishermen. It's time to move on.

I am very curious about the rod you're putting together. What's the length? Where's the backbone when the rod is under 75% load? When are you coming? Have you handle the St. Croix LES96MHF2 or LES90MHF2? Or the Lamiglas XMG EXC92M at that matter? How does your rod compare to these rods?

I am surprised that you had so many XMG failures, they are considered by many to be one of the best. Sounds like you should look into or try out Surfmasters recommendations, if you like them great, but if you don't you didn't here it from me.:):) Give them a shake you never know. World famous Surfmaster Enterprises:th::th::th:

I'll be coming out a few times this year. maybe.. in Dec. but I know I'll be there for at least 4 days in late March and again in Summer to and from there to Alaska to fish or just to fish the Columbia for.. whatever!!

There are 4 rods 2 are 10'6" rated 3/8-1oz 6-15 line and 1/4-1/2 6-10 line.

11'6" rated 3/4-2 oz 17-25 line

9' rated 1-3 oz 10-20 line

This is what info on the ratings the fisherman gave me that I went off. I tried to match the action and power that they requested!! The power for the 10'6" blanks comes on slow in the tip to about 18 to 24" down and at 75% is the middle of the bottom section. if that makes sense to you. The blanks bend down deep but the power is distributed along the blank nicely. These will be fished in New York the first week of Nov. so we'll see how it goes.

I am surprised that you had so many XMG failures, they are considered by many to be one of the best.

Yes the XMG is currently one of the high-end rod produced by Lamiglas. It's a pleasure to fish with the XMG and they are considered by many - including myself - to be one of the best. I am not an expert at blank manufacturing but feel that Lamiglas has made the wall of the XMG blank too thin to reduce blank weight. When thin blank wall is combined with high modulus graphite, we end up fishing with very brittle rods. Lamiglas is very aware of the inherited problem with the current XMG line. They have been R&Ding a new replacement line since 2010 summer. Rumor has it that the new replacement line is classed "ISI". It's suppose to be even lighter but stronger... not sure how they will achieve that. We'll see if it ever get release to production.

I'll be coming out a few times this year. maybe.. in Dec. but I know I'll be there for at least 4 days in late March and again in Summer to and from there to Alaska to fish or just to fish the Columbia for.. whatever!!

PM me before you come west. If we can't fish, at least we can exchange stories over a few beers.

I am curious in your 9' and 10'6". Let me know how NY fishermen like fishing it in November. Are you bringing the rods with you when you come west?

PM me before you come west. If we can't fish, at least we can exchange stories over a few beers.

I am curious in your 9' and 10'6". Let me know how NY fishermen like fishing it in November. Are you bringing the rods with you when you come west?

I like beer!!:D I'll let you know how they do and what they think. Who knows they might need to be tweeked. As far as Lamiglas and others, They are realizing and have known that the high modulus and thin walls alone are not always a good choice. As I said a few times, materials need to be blended to make a fishing rod that lasts. I understand wanting the lightest and most sensitive and that's fine for the fisherman but the manufactuer also needs to look at dependabilty. That's not just a selfish thing either!Have more then a few breaks and there can go your name in this day and age. But a rod that lasts also benifeits the fisherman.. it's all common sense. IMO I think too many sacrifice one for the other when it comes to weight and material. Compromise!!

Anyone who argues about how heavy a rod is (and not an unrealistic weight like 20oz) and they get tired casting it has it all wrong. The reason you want the rod as light as you can is for sensitivity not becuase you are casting 1000 times a night. I'll bet anyone who casts a rod that weighs 10 oz 100 times and a 12oz rod 100 times will both be tired just the same!!

Yes the XMG is currently one of the high-end rod produced by Lamiglas. It's a pleasure to fish with the XMG and they are considered by many - including myself - to be one of the best. I am not an expert at blank manufacturing but feel that Lamiglas has made the wall of the XMG blank too thin to reduce blank weight. When thin blank wall is combined with high modulus graphite, we end up fishing with very brittle rods. Lamiglas is very aware of the inherited problem with the current XMG line. They have been R&Ding a new replacement line since 2010 summer. Rumor has it that the new replacement line is classed "ISI". It's suppose to be even lighter but stronger... not sure how they will achieve that. We'll see if it ever get release to production.

XMG rods have been out for some time and have been well recieved. I have heard great reports on those rods and i have heard very little regarding their failure rate. Many seem to not have an issue with them, but of course some will. Do you transport and handle them with the extra care that high mod rods require?

If handling them the way many people handle low mod or fiberglass rods, then it should not come as a surprise that failure is a good possibility. When rods are fished and handled with care( no hard wacks to a blank from a errant sinker or leadhead, not transported in the back of a pick up with other rods banging around etc... they should not fail. Now if the failures came from fighting a fish and not high sticked, or from casting an offering in the recommended weight range than i am sure Lami will take care of it as you have indicated.

It should be noted that with todays latest resins and technology even higher mod blanks are considerably more durable than blanks of just a few years ago, and they are not as brittle as some seem to indicate,(although, of course, more so than lower modulus blanks).

The nano resins greatly improve blank strength without adding excessive weight, many think the nano resins improve blank performance directly but this is not necessarily true, what they do is allow manufacturers to be bolder in their rod blanks designs, which in turn allows them to bring higher performing blanks/rods to market.

Manufactures just a few years back had aggressive new rod designs on tap but were afraid of releasing them due to the high possibility of failure, as the resins were a big question mark.

About a year ago a question was posed to Jason Brunner from St.Croix, about rod durability and the lightness of a blank and his response was "we make high quality rods and don't put rods prone to failure out on the market to prove we can make the lightest most sensitive blank available, we know exactly what is going on within the blank structure, sure we can make them bullet proof but what fun would that be to fish with". Will their be failures ? sure but what new rod series does not experience that, however, i will put this blank up against any other in comparing the strength to weight ratio. He was responding to a question about the Legend blanks.

I think the end user needs to be honest with him/her self in how they fish, and if they are generally rough on their tackle, where it may be likely that they lay their rod down on rocks (Montauk), or just not as careful as they should be in transporting etc..then choose your weapon wisely.Some people have no business fishing high mod thin walled rods when they know they will receive rough treatment and then they complain to the blank manufacturer , there has to be a compromise.

I am in no way signaling out the OP in my statements, although it may sound that way, as he has indicated Lami realizes that the XMG may have design flaws which is more than likely a contributing factor.:):)

cnnashman,

I appreciate your insight on the possibility of the handling problem. I am very aware of this and am extremely anal retentive about transport and handling ALL my fishing rods. If you inspect my fishing rods, there is not a scratch them. Ok, maybe a few. Short of putting my rods in its individual tube, my rods never ride in the back of the pick up bed. When I but my rod down at the fishing hole, it's always leaned up against a bush... never laid on the ground. If I was the only fisherman breaking my XMG's, I would definitely question my habit. I do anyway. I stated earlier since July 2011, I have seen in person, 6 XMG break in the small fishing hole where I drift fish. Even Lamiglas' Warranty CSR have admitted to me of the high failed return on the XMG line. Please understand that I love my XMG rods... I own 5. I also own 2 of Lamiglas' late TI2000 titanium rods which are the predecessor of the XMG. I have not had issues with the TI2000's. Why? They're the same high modulus blank!?!? Whatever the reason may be, I am starting to feel that this love/hate relationship I have with my XMG's is not working. Hello St Croix Legend.

cnnashman,

I appreciate your insight on the possibility of the handling problem. I am very aware of this and am extremely anal retentive about transport and handling ALL my fishing rods. If you inspect my fishing rods, there is not a scratch them. Ok, maybe a few. Short of putting my rods in its individual tube, my rods never ride in the back of the pick up bed. When I but my rod down at the fishing hole, it's always leaned up against a bush... never laid on the ground. If I was the only fisherman breaking my XMG's, I would definitely question my habit. I do anyway. I stated earlier since July 2011, I have seen in person, 6 XMG break in the small fishing hole where I drift fish. Even Lamiglas' Warranty CSR have admitted to me of the high failed return on the XMG line. Please understand that I love my XMG rods... I own 5. I also own 2 of Lamiglas' late TI2000 titanium rods which are the predecessor of the XMG. I have not had issues with the TI2000's. Why? They're the same high modulus blank!?!? Whatever the reason may be, I am starting to feel that this love/hate relationship I have with my XMG's is not working. Hello St Croix Legend.

I had a feeling my post may be taken the wrong way, and thats not what i wanted. I just brought up the handling issue as it is no secret that many guys are quite rough on equipment and the top end rods are usually not the best choice, as many don't take to being banged around. I was not accusing you of being rough on your equipment.

I thought i would bring it up just to cover all bases. As you said the XMG may have, and it seems like, a design defect which Lami is working to correct as you state. If your happy with the TI21000 why not stick with them? Another question, is Lami replacing your XMG'S

It seems many guys no matter how satisfied they are with their current rods want to try other offerings from other companies, which is human nature i believe, but to be honest i don't think you will be any more satisfied with the Legends than you would be with the XMG if their failure rate was different. I could be wrong and only you can decide that, but performance wise i think they would be quite similar. They may fair better breakage wise, but thats not a given.

cnnashman,

I am not at all offended or feel that your post was a direct attack on my habit. Your points are valid and should be a natural concern. So we cool man!

When I discovered Lamiglas' TI2000 series 5 years ago, they have already stopped production on their TI2000 Salmon/Steelhead rods. Nowadays, finding any of Lamiglas Titanium rod is extremely rare. And if you did come across one, they're not cheap. A new or mint condition one will run about 5 Benjamins. I protect mine carefully and only use them 25% of the time B/C they're irreplaceable. Lamiglas do not have anymore blanks for the TI2000 and they will not restock . The XMG on the hand are still in production so I use them as my main rod.

Lamiglas' warranty is one of the best in the industry. They have always replaced or build a new rod when I bring in a broken rod. Usually not even a question. When my friend was there in the warranty dept., he usually just dip into the production inventory and swap rods with me over the counter. Lately, the average time is about 4 weeks. Currently me and 2 other friends are waiting for our XMG replacement rod to be build... that's 3 broken XMG in the last 2 weeks. Down time for most people like my friends whom do not have back up drift rods is a total PIA. For me, it's more opportunities to fish my Titanium. Still a PIA.

I guess in exploring St. Croix or any other rod/blank manufacturer, I am giving myself more options. As is, 95% of my eggs are in the Lamiglas' basket. When Lamiglas' production are overloaded during the fishing season, that equate to longer wait time. I was introduced to St Croix by a fellow fisherman that have empathy for what I'm dealing with. He too at one time only fish with XMG's and GLoomis GLX's. When he had problem with these rods failing, he started fishing St Croix. Now he will only custom build on St Croix blanks for drift rods. I trust his judgement b/c he's a respectful fishermen and rod builder in this area.

cnnashman,

I am not at all offended or feel that your post was a direct attack on my habit. Your points are valid and should be a natural concern. So we cool man!

When I discovered Lamiglas' TI2000 series 5 years ago, they have already stopped production on their TI2000 Salmon/Steelhead rods. Nowadays, finding any of Lamiglas Titanium rod is extremely rare. And if you did come across one, they're not cheap. A new or mint condition one will run about 5 Benjamins. I protect mine carefully and only use them 25% of the time B/C they're irreplaceable. Lamiglas do not have anymore blanks for the TI2000 and they will not restock . The XMG on the hand are still in production so I use them as my main rod.

Lamiglas' warranty is one of the best in the industry. They have always replaced or build a new rod when I bring in a broken rod. Usually not even a question. When my friend was there in the warranty dept., he usually just dip into the production inventory and swap rods with me over the counter. Lately, the average time is about 4 weeks. Currently me and 2 other friends are waiting for our XMG replacement rod to be build... that's 3 broken XMG in the last 2 weeks. Down time for most people like my friends whom do not have back up drift rods is a total PIA. For me, it's more opportunities to fish my Titanium. Still a PIA.

I guess in exploring St. Croix or any other rod/blank manufacturer, I am giving myself more options. As is, 95% of my eggs are in the Lamiglas' basket. When Lamiglas' production are overloaded during the fishing season, that equate to longer wait time. I was introduced to St Croix by a fellow fisherman that have empathy for what I'm dealing with. He too at one time only fish with XMG's and GLoomis GLX's. When he had problem with these rods failing, he started fishing St Croix. Now he will only custom build on St Croix blanks for drift rods. I trust his judgement b/c he's a respectful fishermen and rod builder in this area.

Oh, i didn,t know that. Hey, if your friend is happy with the Legend blanks and they have held up for him who am i to interfere. To bad he doesn't have any to build for you. I believe Mudhole had some Legend blanks on clearance, but i don't think they were the Salmon, Steelhead ones. Are you looking for the new Nano Silica Legends or the older models? Sorry i don't get to respond quicker, at this time i only get to a computer in the evenings.:wave:

Are you looking for the new Nano Silica Legends or the older models?

I am guessing it's the new NSi Technology which is the Nano Silica resin. I checked on St Croix's website and they use the NSi Technology on the Salmon/Steelhead SCV blanks. I am also aware that MH is discounting 25% on the SCV blanks I am seeking.