Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rumble Fish aka Poppy

Cape Cod and Block Island, Part 1...

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I spent the better part of the past 10 days fishing up on Cape Cod and Block Island... The trip ran the gamut from the skunk frown.gif... to the spectacular smile.gif...

I left Virginia on Friday June 30 during the pre-dawn hours and drove solo almost 500 miles to Hyannis on Cape Cod where I stayed w/ friends. I thought of fishing Cape Cod Canal Friday night, but the long drive zapped me of both my energy and enthusiasm to do so...

Saturday I checked in w/ several B & T shops and some Canal regulars I knew... I learned that the Striper action had been slow in the Canal for several weeks frown.gif... Before I made this trip I knew that come July the action in the Canal would not be optimal, but I still had hopes that I would get lucky...

We (fishing partner and I) fished the Canal hard Saturday and Sunday nights, putting in a total of about 12 hours each (2 of us)... We tromped back and forth so much from the east to the west end that at one point I could not figure out if I was on the Cape or mainland side... We threw every thing we had (except eels) and for all our efforts we landed about 10 Linesides...the biggest was 32" which came on a SuperStrike Darter. But most of the fish were short and taken on 2 or 3 oz jigs (Fin-S or bucktails). All fish were released and that was it for the Canal...

Chatham Inlet Monday night was nearly intolerable as the midnight crowd was thicker than expected... We moved away from the throng of people and threw mostly eels... After hours of trying my partner switched over to a Gibb's swimmer and unexpectedly got into a very good fish moments later... After a tough, but quick battle the fish was landed and measured 39"... It was released and we continue in vain for the remainder of the evening frown.gif...

Tuesday night we tried the surf near Newcomb Hollow beach w/ bait on the bottom... Last year in early July in basically the same place I took three beautiful Linesides on poppers at dawn to 46"... After some discussion, I finally coerced my fishing partner into using fish heads and large circle hooks on my Heavers alla Assateague Island/OBX biggrin.gif... Not that some of the regulars on the outer Cape didn't use a similar system, but this night we had used micro Bluefish heads that I brought with me from the Delmarva biggrin.gif... My fishing partner who lives on the Cape and is a serious Stripermen had his doubts, but refrained from being overly negative. After an arduous hauling of our stuff over what I swear is the world's highest dunes, we set up three rods...sand spikes and all. Weeds were a problem some, but I had seen worst on this beach so we stuck it out... At 0200 hours the moment of truth arrived...the custom Lami Heaver took a very good hit... My partner subsequently landed a 41" Lineside which later weighed in close to 30#... About a half hour later the same rod took another hit and this time the partner landed a Lineside that measured 35" (released). Alas, that was it for the evening into the morning... Later on, my buddy told me that he liked the fish head and big circle hook deal and I was happy for him... But to tell you the truth, I was a little miffed... In 2 nights on the outer Cape beaches/inlets, my fishing partner takes fish between 35" and 41", albeit just 3, but I got the skunk frown.gif...

Ah, but the following morning (Wednesday) I left the Cape for Block Island...and if you hadn't heard the Block was hot w/ LARGE Stripers last week... Stay tune for PART 2...

Rumble Fish aka Poppy

[This message has been edited by Rumble Fish aka Poppy (edited 07-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rumble Fish aka Poppy (edited 07-11-2000).]

Poppy, cool tale! May I publish this on the Assateague site, like a "travel journal" type thing?

Some of the Assateague Mobile guys might enjoy it...

Dave P.

Poppy, no wonder it was quiet around here? wink.gif

Sounds like an excellent trip...even if you didn't find any unicorns, the places you went, the things you did, ah...I'm getting a little fidgety right now?!?! eek.gif

Hey, I'm glued to my seat for the part where you scored LARGE! biggrin.gif

DP, you mean there are some Assateauge Mobile guys that don't read this board? wink.gif Well, let's get 'em over here!

TimS

Poppy your killing me I just decided to cancel a BI trip for this weekend, should I reconsider, Help me out I'm dying over here, man your stressing me out. E-mail me if you want to wait to post the "rest of the story".nema@edgenet.net

Bob C.

------------------

OVER THE EDGE

Sorry fellows, but I was really pressed today and could not cover the BI part of my trip in the first post (Part 1) and do it justice... I hope to get it up on the board tomorrow...

Dave, you may use the story as long as you don't tell the readers I am a Yankee by birth biggrin.gif...

Bill, Nantucket is planned for the end of next month... The Linesides will be stacked on the north and west sides by then waiting to start their run in September. I plan to pay them a visit and offer them some goodies biggrin.gif... BTW, your IRI care package is on the way...

I don't know if the action on the Block is still hot this week, but I will be checking in w/ my brother in the next day or 2 as he is still on the island fishing...

Rumble Fish aka Poppy

Both the south shore of RI and Block I. have been very very good for larger Bass for about a week now and we are all very very happy about it.

They should bee at the Cape very very soon.

Rhodester