Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

American Airlines Screwed me, can I screw Them?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Long story short - I put a Bazooka into check in, they temporarily lost it, and I couldn't use the rods I wanted to on ym fishing trip. To add insult to injury, I stuck 2 rods into another Bazooka, which when did arrive (both checked in together) both tip top guides were crushed.

In addition, while in Miami the baggage claim b!tch gave me a super hard time. Rgardless, I was pleasant to her, expecially considering at the time both rod tubes were missing and valued up to $5000. It was so bad, that another person in the airport asked for the manager and filed a complaint (on file) about how teh girl treated me

What can I do?

As a side note, despite missing some of my best custom rods, I didn't let that affact me one bit. I had a great time, and didn't let this ruin my trip for a second. While it sucked to no end, there was nothing I could do except worry, and I didn't go down to Florida to worry, I went to have a good time and catch fish which is what I did.

But now that I'm home... #@$@#$@% American Airlines.

Billy - I had the very same thing happen to a friend of mine and myself on a return trip from the Keys once. Not much recourse in the end - a free ticket and the value of the components of all the broken custom rods. It really stunk - I sure hope you fare better than we did.

I had some rods broken and had my friend, who owns a tackle shop write me a bill for the rods, pre-dated of course.

I recouped my $$ eventually and bought the parts to make a couple of new rods!

never fly with them again, but make sure several phone calls and letters are sent threatening to lose the business. i would also say that u work for a company that does a lot of travel and that you are having your colleagues refrain from using that carrier again.

That's a shame. Had a rod tube disappear going to Key West. Showed up a few days later, delivered to the hotel, with the end ripped off (cloth covered tube), but all rods intact. Think Continental had a luggage repair place pick up the tube and fix it, and I got a $100 certificate that I never used. At the time, I was a Platinum frequent flyer, and I don't believe that they made much of an effort to keep my business. Wonder what HJ would have to say. He had some way out stories about getting compensated for lost fish (on the other site). My favorite was where he convinced the airline that his Alaska lodge vacation was a comm trip, that he was bringing back the fish (7x70# boxes) to sell, and the airline comped the entire trip. Gotta love it.

Man's missing catch sniffed out

Monday, July 12, 2004 Posted: 3:25 PM EDT (1925 GMT)

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- The stench broke the case of the missing halibut.

A fishy stink led airline officials to what they believe is the 40 pounds of halibut a traveler reported missing from his checked bags two weeks ago.

Brenee Davis, a general manager for Continental Airlines in Anchorage, said the company's baggage handlers discovered "a ton of rotting fish" under a luggage conveyor belt recently at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.

She suspects it was the halibut passenger Ray Bolanos reported missing from a cooler he checked on a June 24 flight from Anchorage to Seattle. The fish was thrown away immediately.

"We've gone through a few cans of Lysol," Davis said.

Davis' theory is that Bolanos' cooler wasn't properly secured and came open on the conveyor belt.

Bolanos doesn't buy that explanation.

When his fish cooler came off the luggage carousel in Seattle, he said he found a rope he had tied around the chest inside and his 40 individually wrapped one-pound chunks of halibut gone.

"It's not something that was chewed off. It was a clear cut," Bolanos said Saturday, when he was reached on his cell phone in Kenmore, Wash.

Davis said workers initially thought the smell was related to construction at the airport. Then it got worse.

"There was mass migration down there to figure out what the smell was," she said.

Billy 40,

Get onto the American Airlines Aadvantage website,

American Airlines Website

Login, or if you don't have a login, get one... once into the site,

Click "Contact AA" at the top

Click "AA Customer Relations" on the left

Click Email AA Customer Relations" at the bottom

Where you type your message (1500 char), make sure you choose the button requesting a response.

I did that and ended up (2 weeks later) getting a call from the Executive Offices Customer Affairs people, who were able to get me squared away... if you don't raise hell, they won't think about you twice.

Jeff B.

Hi Billy,

I hate all airlines, almost without exception, they treat their customers like dirt, especially economy class dudes which is what I fly.

I had problems with AA about two years ago when they dented my KISS rod case which had 6 of my favourite Striper rods in. I took it to the desk that delt with this and was met with a don't care less attitude and it's not our reponsobility chum, attitude. Red rag to a bull this. Anyway I won't bore you with all the gory details but what it comes down to this. They AA consider my rod case which measures 96 inches by 6 inch square in section to be oversize and as it is not freight they would excxept no liability for damage. A battle ensued for about an hour which I have to admit I did not win. The best I could get from the two female agents was a hand scrwaled note confriming damage to the case. I sure held up the line but my buddy was getting seriously pissed waiting so I gave up. I am covered by holiday insurence but why should the insurers pay for AA's incompetence.

Botttom line is they take your money and then its'----You baby.

Be warned they do not tell you at time of buying the ticket or checking in the oversize luggage at the airport that they except no reponsibility for it.

Another little tale concerns Continental where my two friend booked and paid for their flightsto JFK Only to find out near to the departure date that the airline would not accept their rod case. Same as mine 96 X 6 inche square section. Once you paid on economy you can't cancel or change anything. So they had to drive 312 miles to me and back with their ZZiplex rods to go in my case. They were just lucky I was going out two days before them and to the same place.

Most Airlines are in trouble and when you consider the way they behave is it any wonder. They talk such a good game in their adverts and deliver jack poo poo.

I feel for you Biily just reading about your grief maks my blood boil. If you got a tame layer why not talk to him.

Best of Luck mate

Billy,

Next time ship your rods along with your reels beforehand.. I know it will cost money but apparently it would be well worth it.

Sorry to hear this.. It sucks!

Glad you had fun though..