Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pete28

Black Maverick

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Once in awhile when i save my pennies and be a good boy ill treat myself to something and today it was a new lure. Its a 7inch? black maverick. the owner of the shop i got it from said they worked extremely well this time of year so i figured id give it a try. Two questions.

1. anyone have any experience with these?

2. it has 2 treble hooks 1 front and 1 back which im not keen on. if i remove the front hook and somehow flatten the barbs on the rear hook will it affect te action of the lure. i just dont want to have to remove a treble hook out of a fish i plan on releasing, and ibeleive that a hook with flat barbs would be much better for the fish.

Pete, the Maverick is a good plug. I haven't seen a 7" one in a long time...then again, I don't go into to many tackle shops these days wink.gif

If you don't like the two trebles on it, whatever you do, don't take off the front one - it is important to the plugs swimming action. Sure, smash the barbs down on it, but leave it on there smile.gif You can remove the rear treble and either replace it with a single hook or better yet, a single siwash hook with black bucktail smile.gif And if you want, you can cut off the bucktailed hook at the bend leaving just that sexy swinging black bucktail on the back icon14.gif

A plug is a slave to it's hooks to some degree, if you remove that front treble, it'll definitely affect the action.

TimS

thanks tim. i will try the out of the box version first and get used to the plugs action then ill start modifying as i see necessary for the fishes safety.

thanks again

pete.