Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CLOnj

Casting plugs (help)

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Question guys.

Im starting to get more into plugging out on the surf (tired of soaking bait). I have a 9'6" Lami rated 3/8 - 3 oz , 30 lb braid, 40lb leader (spinning) . I practiced throwing an AH cloud metal lip plug (I think it's 2 3/4 oz). I noticed that I couldn't really get that much distance and sometimes my leader got caught up on the hooks. The wind was about 10mph from the North, nothing really aggressive. The plug is pretty wide, so was it the larger surface area/profile of the plug catching wind resistance? Or is the plug too heavy for the rod? Im wondering how folks with similar plugs throw these bad boys and in what condition, no wind? Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lot's of factor's here. Metal lips are not great casters in the first place, but have great action. Next, depend's on how much leader is being paid out on the cast, 40# is heavy. Does your rod feel like it is stressing on cast ? Your plug may be too close to the top end of the rod's range. Wind could be part of the equation if your casting form is not solid, also current will twist you up no matter what. If anything try casting downwind, even if you have to cast at an angle to the beach. If not change plugs. Good luck!

I don't know that plug but like everything we do some stuff works better in certain situations. If your fishing a jetty most of the time you don't need to cast more than 15-20 yards anyway. If you do need distance like fishing from the open beach you'll just need to find a plug that suits your needs.

I do get decent distance with atom Jrs, so if your set on a metal lip maybe give one a try. 40# leader to me sounds fine, I wouldn't go any less, especially if your around rocks. Also, try a side arm cast and see if that helps. If wind is an issue keeping the plug low during the cast will help.

John

Those plugs are hard to cast, especially if you don't have a feel for it yet. As far as your leader getting caught up, it may have to do with the knot that connects it to the main line. Make sure you use a knot with a slim profile and clip any excess to make it as flush as possible. I use a uni to uni knot and have no problems.

It does feel like the plug is a tad heavy for the rod, but I would have to agree with Spelunker comment, "hard to cast if you dont have the feel for it yet." It was my first time casting it so it all felt new and strange at the same time LOL.

My leader is about 12" connected via swivel to my main line. I have tried uni to uni but have gotten stuck in the reel, I know it was because I didn't cut the ends close enough. Something about the uni to uni that I lack confidence with, thats why I go with the swivel.

Thanks for the input guys. Ill practice some more and try a heaver rod as well.

That rod's overrated at 3 oz. that could be making it a bit tough. as said, those plugs dont cast well to begin with. that rod will launch the **** of a bomber though. good with small pencils too.

As stated earlier, metals lips are not the best casters. Dont expect it to cast like a pencil! Maybe try adding some length to your leader? I like a leader about four foot long tied to a swivel. 40 lb test is my preference for this fishing. A quick snap on the end, and a swivel connects to the braid. Take a few seconds and run the leader behind your bent knee a few times. The heat generated from the friction along with the pulling tight will make the leader straight. I add a short 12" length of leader to the rear leg of the swivel and tie a small deceiver, or a red gill as a teaser.

Start here. Focus on not putting more muscle into the cast. Focus on proper form. Correct release time. not an early release, or a late release. When your form is right, then you can lean into it a bit.

Swim them slow, feel them the whole time. Maybe you are fishing the wrong plug in the wrong conditions contributing to your issues?

Try after your lure hits the water, don't rip it to get it started. Try to just tighten up so the line pulls the front of the lure forward and doesn't tangle? Slow at first then reel as usual. I've had more luck doing this. If you go to fast at first, I think the line gets pulled onto the front hook? Hope it makes sense to you...

D.J.

I also have a similarly rated Lami, and it gets very loose at the top end of it's rating. If its 3/4-3, I'd realistically rate it at 2.5 oz MAX, with a sweet spot of 1 oz to 2 oz. I can LAUNCH the 1 oz, 1.5 oz and 2 oz plugs with mine.

As stated it's not the easiest plug to throw out there either.

I know others have different feelings, but I am a BIG advocate with starting off on Bombers and slimmer profile stuff. It will be easier to learn on, cheaper than any wooden plug out there, and it will tune you in to things you need to watch to become the sharpy you want to be.

I have a few of those plugs and as some have mentioned in earlier replies, don't expect the metal lipped type plugs to go far. Leader seems to be short in my opinion, I typically run mine between 24-30" at 40-50lb and don't really have any issues.

You may also want to try another lure with a similar weight to see if that feels any different when casting.