Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

RFA's New Survey

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

This from Sunday's Asbury Park Press:

There are only two questions in the current survey. Members are asked to designate their preference in striped bass law: one fish between 24 and less than 28 inches and a second fish 34 inches and up or two fish at 28 inches and up.

A total of 2,232 members responded to the first survey with 983 wanting two fish 28 inches and up with a bonus program, and 1,274 wanting two fish at 28 inches and up without a bonus program.

A total of 783 wanted the present law with a bonus program, and 532 wanted the present law without a bonus program.

Another 421 wanted one fish between 26 and 30 inches and one fish 33 inches and up with a bonus program, and 393 wanted the same choice without a bonus program.

The survey was hopeless as a reliable gauge of member sentiment in the present climate since the state Department of Environmental Protection introduced a bonus program that discriminates against the bulk of the anglers in the state.

No matter how you slice the bonus quota of 321,000 pounds, most anglers will not be able to participate.

Question - if NJ's legislators have made it clear that they aren't going to change NJ's 2005 striped bass regulations, what does the RFA hope to accomplish with this new survey? Is it just to get a better handle on what their members would have liked or are they planning to attempt to change the regulations for 2005 afterall?

And someone please help Mr. Geiser with his survey numbers before it gets ugly again redface.gif 2,323 people could not have responded to the survey if 2,259 (total) wanted 2 @ 28" (with and without bonus) and 1,315 (total) wanted present regs (with and without bonus) and yet another 814 (total) wanted the third option smile.gif That's 4,388 right there redface.gif No wonder the survey results are tough to understand wink.gif

TimS

I think you are beating a dead horse TimS. hammer-time.gif Please spend any free time tying teasers instead of beating your head against the wall. wink.gif

LOL smile.gif Even when I'm tying teasers, this sort of stuff still makes me wonder smile.gif

Whenever an organization or company spends money doing something like a survey, they must have a goal in mind...in this case, it's either just to get a better idea what their members would have wanted if the legislature was willing to change the regs - or - to find out what their members want with a plan to push the legislature to do what the legislature said they wouldn't be willing to do.

Pure curiosity smile.gif

TimS

It's to be sure what they know what the members want. If the NJ Leg doesn't want to change it, they can't do much other then state what their members want to the Leg. I don't think they'd make a real push for any change until the new stock assessment is out. That's just my opinion though.

I don't think they'd make a real push for any change until the new stock assessment is out. That's just my opinion though.

I'm very inclined to agree...which is why I was curious about their intentions of another survey smile.gif

TimS

U see the ball hit the wire an johnny scored from second.After a long argument we called do-over.but it got dark an the game was called till next time.but Charlie an Paulie couldn't make it they where out of town. They took the bus instead of flyin in an now it's football season.So it don't really matter.

U see the ball hit the wire an johnny scored from second.After a long argument we called do-over.but it got dark an the game was called till next time.but Charlie an Paulie couldn't make it they where out of town. They took the bus instead of flyin in an now it's football season.So it don't really matter.

icon25.gif I guess that's one way of lookin' at it...whatever that means wink.gif

TimS

I believe RFA wanted to have a more reliable finger on the pulse of their members on this subject for future actions. Remember there is a new assessment due out in August and depending on what is shows, it could prompt the debate all over again. The legislator who chairs the committee said he would not entertain proposed legislation to change the law until he had benefit of the upcoming assessment.

It might mean that they (the RFA) wanted to see what rules their menbers wanted changed when it was too late to change anything, and that the members cheated on an in house survey by voting numerous times and for 4 options in a survey that was stated to only having 2 options. Capeesh?

cwm13.gif Jeeze Bob. You're a regular conspiracy buff.

Another great post Tim. You really know how to stir the pot, babe. I will retract my earlier post as unnecessary and simply agree with Tackle Junky.

I believe RFA wanted to have a more reliable finger on the pulse of their members on this subject for future actions. Remember there is a new assessment due out in August and depending on what is shows, it could prompt the debate all over again.

C-Fish, that's why it was puzzling, the legislators made it clear there weren't going to be any changes this season - and if the assessment calls for changes, then the options of the poll are no longer valid. That's why I asked, not to "stir the pot", but because, in my head, it didn't make sense...and I would rather ask then wonder smile.gif

Bottom line is, the RFA made an announcement about this survey in the APP, so apparently they wanted people to know they were doing this second survey and they wanted folks to know that a lot of people responded. But they didn't make clear what they intended to do with the results - polls are taken usually with some goal and letting folks know what that goal is helps keep folks from unrealistic expectations...like last time when the "votes" were counted and the regulations weren't changed, people lost their minds cause they didn't understand that the poll was to gather info, not to actually change regulations in an electoral type of vote. You would think that discussing the survey in public would bring even more attention to the survey and help them accomplish whatever goal it was they had in mind by making the press release in the APP? Discussion is a good thing, it makes more people aware of certain topics, it helps people understand...and more importantly, it gets them thinking. So what if not everyone has the same opinion or feeling about something? It doesn't make it pot stirring, it makes it interesting...and that makes more people aware of the subject...which, ultimately, must be the goal of a press release to begin with, right? smile.gif

TimS

**edited - Rrrick, if you want to discuss the topic, we'd love to have you. But please don't post just to make personal insults at other members here. Thanks - TimS

[ 05-13-2005, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: TimS ]