Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
passiton

Fishing in NJ for the month of October, 2011

Rate this topic

888 posts in this topic

As usual, post reports here.......as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader. Please don't post specific street names or areas. Sometimes just a town name is too much information! Doing so only adds to the traffic in certain areas and it might cause an internet feud. For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no. Feel free to share any thoughts you might have on local conditions and "I got the old skunkaroo" reports" are OK too.

Some popular acronyms:

SH- Sandy Hook

NoMoCo- Northern Monmouth County

SoMoCo- Southern Monmouth County

SFZ-Spring Fling Zone (SRI-Shark River Inlet to MI- Manasquan Inlet)

OC Ocean County

IBSP-Island Beach State Park

LBI- Long Beach Island

AC- Atlantic County

CISP- Corson's Inlet State Park

CMC- Cape May County

CMR- Cape May Rips

DB- Delaware Bay

HIt IBSP with my boys and my mother from noon to 9:30 yesterday. I picked two medium sized blues in the inlet on the last of the incoming, but dropped 'em both at the rocks. Lots of birds working farther out in the inlet. Frontside with mullet was snapper city. Mom got her first fish with a plug, landing what would have been a keeper fluke a week ago. I dropped one that was simialr and landed a smaller one. It was intersesting to have the bigger guy come up of the bottom and hit a surface plug hard. I saw the brown body and then the profile and was surprised.

Nothing with stripes for us or anyone else I saw, but the table is ready. We need that water to cool down. When we can comfortably wet wade all day while the boys are swimming and boogey boarding, I know it's not quite time yet. Anyone get an actual temp out front yesterday? Felt like 70ish.

NMC this morning to many small bass to count in 6 inchs of water chasing mullet. All I had to do was cast out 20 feet in the white water and I was on. Good fun on a light 8 ft rod. The largest may have been 26 inchs. Smoke Joe red fin was the ticket

Fished Ocean County beach yesterday from 5 til 8 AM. Lots of bait in the wash. Bluefish all over the place. Bass came in for about 15 minutes. Had bass crash my popper right in the wash. No hook ups. Wound up with two blues.

Tried getting out the inlet in my boat this morning before first light but was too rough. Ran back to the beach and plugged until 9 AM. Hooked into a nice bass on third cast. Lost it in the wash. Had a couple more nice swirls right after that, then it all died. Lots of cabbage in the water. Too much junk to fish swimmers. Poppers were OK.

Trolled RB rpom 5:30 until 10:30 this morning. No fish, no bait. I jigged in the channel for about a half hour with no luck either. I think that is the first time I've been skunked in the bay.

Fished AC this weekend.  Saturday morning got one short about 27", resident fish.  Cocktail blues were also on the menu.  Striper came on a soft plastic, cocktails were caught on mullet.  Just waiting for them to come my way.  Good fishing to all!

Fished Saturday with a buddy on his boat out of Manasquan, ran north and found lots of rainbait being trashed by blues and albies. We landed 2 albies, and then ran south and found 2 huge schools of bunker being banged by 10+ pound blues, all large adult bunker heading south about 1 mile off the beach, nailed 4 big blues. Not many guys fishing the surf so keep in mind we chased Albies within 100 yards of the beach around 10am so keep in mind the bite can happen at anytime as I too have been subject to hitting the surf before dawn and then leaving an hour or so after dawn