Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justinfisch01

Late Night Bait?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I know in the days of HT I would call Bev and place my order and pay over the phone and she was abelto set my bait out the night before she closed and I would swing by on my way to AI and grab it...usually in the wee hours of the morning...like 1 or 2 am. Does anyone know if the new bait suppliers like John Henrys, All Tackle, or Bucks are able to do the same?

Thanks guys....I also contacted Bucks and they will also do it....I am glad that these places are willing to help us out...I don't get to get out much with a 2 yr old and a 2 week old, so I have to fish when I can usually weirdhours of night. Thanks again

John Henry's will not leave bait out. Even though they have a place in the back where they could easily stash it. Sorry John Henry's but it is what it is. And while I'm at it enough of putting your bait in a brine slurry and freezing it. Pack it in ice and when it's 2 days old chuck it. Part of the price of doing business.

A word on John Henry's....we too found that they will not leave bait out if we pay for it in advance. However, when we discussed this option with the owner over the phone....he said he would stay at the store and let us in when we got down there if we knocked on the door. So they closed at 7:00 last Thursday....and we didn't get there till 9:45ish and he let us right in to do business. Bait was fresh and clear-eyed. He also threw in some xtras since we were buying a bunch. I was impressed with him working with us and he was a nice dude. Not saying he'll do that all the time...but worth calling him if you are heading down to see if anything can be worked out......

Stopped in for the 1st time at John Henry's this weekend. No finger mullett, but he was working on it. Genuinely nice guy and seems like he's trying to do everything he can to keep the business on track. I hope things work out for him.

At the end of the day it really makes you appreciate what was Harbor Tackle. Was nice seeing Bev and Terry on the beach looking happy and healthy this weekend. It's not like I was ever a regular, but Bev treated me like she'd known me forever. I'll give John Henry's another shot if nothing else cuz the guy just looks "salty" :)

Yeah and I used his spot and mullet too. I've got nothing against the people running that shop and I'm glad they are there. It's just my opinion that keeping bait half frozen in a brine/ice slurry is not the best way to do it. It will feel nice and hard and look good when you buy it but once that bait thaws it won't stay fresh as long as bait put up on straight ice or ice sprinkled with salt where the water is allowed to drain and the bait doesn't freeze. I'd like to see them change.

I can keep spot and mullet that I cast net myself and pack in nothing but pure ice and keep the water drained off of it in good shape for at least 4 sometimes 5 days. The bait that I bought there on Friday night was looking not the best on Saturday night and going downhill fast by Sunday morning.

If I ran a bait shop......

I would follow Plugs recommendation to a T.... the Brine doesn't keep the bait longer at all, its just deceiving to us fisherman i have found....

The first few hours from alive to dead off that waterman boat is the key to how long and how nice the bait is to fish. Out of the water, still kicking, they need to be stacked and packed in ice (layers with some kosher salt). There are not many if any "bait-men" that do this, they just don't care as the majority is used for crab bait (bunker), or when it comes to spot, alive gets the most $ for live-line it. Cant speak to mullet.

What I did one day this season, and will do again, is find a place that carries live, pay a little more, and they die in my cooler, iced down correctly.

With all that said, if the fish are there and hungry they will eat, and arnt too picky.... its when fishin is tough that the freshest wins, this comes from experience. Iv talked to an old salt that catches his own bait, and catches fish with that, too bad he cant tie knots ;)

Laughing) are you talking about possum......2 packs of fbbw 16.00 bucks...3 packs of FBCB 24.00 bucks...return on investment ...very fresh bait an a lot of fun ...this is the way i fish...4 rods ...2 rods set for bait 2 rods set for the fish i,m after ..now in the spring i have to buy bait because there is hardly any bait in the surf ,,buttttttttttttttt sand fleas work great also....with a little help from my friend FB... i heard bucks has 7 oz sinkers ..steve z..25 cents an oz ..got a # for a place in CAL that makes molds ...3 sided pyamids..going to call them...prob have to send them one so they can make me a mold..let ya know allen ...dig deep HAHAHA