Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
btf

10th Annual Harbor Tackle Red Drum Tournament sponsored by AMSA official results.

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

10th Annual Harbor Tackle Red Drum Tournament

Sponsored by AMSA

September 22 thru 25, 2011

September 25, 2011

Thank you to those who participated in the 10th Annual Red Drum Tournament. We want to extend a special thanks to the Judges. Thank you for your cooperation with the National Park Service and the Judges. Without you, this event could not take place. Anyone with pictures, please email to: btf25@aol.com.

Unfortunately there were not many fish this year. Andrew Kumjian caught a 28 inch striper late Thursday afternoon. The only red drum of the tournament was reeled in Saturday morning by David Moore. Lots of sharks and skates were taken during the tournament. Marcus Crowley came away with largest trash fish by catching 66 inch shark Thursday evening. Thanks again.

Beverly & Terry Fleming and Matt Engle

AMSA Fishing Tournament Committee Chief Judge

The following is the final results:

Thursday, September 22, 2011

6:05 PM – 28 inch striper – Andrew Kumjian

11:40 PM – 66 inch shark – Marcus Crowley

Saturday, September 24, 2011

8:30 AM – 51 inch red drum – David Moore

Official Tally

• Largest Red Drum of Tournament – Dave Moore

• Second Largest Red Drum – Dave Moore

• Most Red Drum – Dave Moore

• Largest Striper of Tourney – Andrew Kumjian

• Largest Trash Fish – Marcus Crowley

• Free entrance fee for 2012 – John L. Szwed

Thanks to Bev and Terry again for having a great tourney.... and kudos to AMSA, Matt and the other judges as well. Good to see and meet you guys.

I feel the general consensus on the beach was "where's the DRUM"... Many thought they would be around and the competition would be around who caught the biggest and most... Conditions where good, water looked good.... just not around in the numbers expected, Glad David got one, Congrats!

I fished with my uncle, who drove from Utah to visit family and fish the tourney with me.

Great seeing Dave S, Evens clan, CJ, Erik, Scott, Hugh, Brett and JC. Sucks that JC wasn't feeling well and had to drop out, but in all a good time.

Now that the tourney is over and my vacation time is done, they will start showing up in numbers :D

Now i have a love / hate relationship with sand tigers....

Congrats to the guys that managed to get a money fish.It was a "slow pick" this year for sure.Someone forgot to invite the Drum haha...

When I saw that he won. I remembered that last year in the tourney Dave stopped fishing and did everything that he could to help out someone that was having trouble with his truck.Good karma!

Dave Moore=Congrats on the huge Drum!

Thanks Bev and Terry for putting on the tournament. I enjoyed the "surf fishing" conditions but I guess the fish didn't appreciate it as much as I did... There should have been more fish caught, dunno why there wasn't... I didn't enjoy feeding the sand tigers. ;) I got completely spooled once, nearly spooled again, and a burnt thumb... There is no doubt, I like fishing AI. See you guys in Spring!

Wow, only one drum. But isn't it always slow? I mean most people never get a drum during this tournament and there are usually only a handful landed the whole weekend. There may be one exception like a few years ago but for the most part it's like 5 drum caught out of 100 fishermen or something crazy. Head south men, south is the place. That beach is a structureless desert.

Head south men, south is the place. That beach is a structureless desert.

South is nice too.... one less guy out is fine with me.... its not a "structureless desert". This last week, Iv seen plenty of beautiful water, and fished different types of structure...drum where not there feeding, that's all.

There is structure on that beach, not a lot though, and always not easy to see... I think of AI as more challenging red drum fishing, limited spots and limited time. I've caught tons of drum down south, but have yet to land the elusive AI drum. A couple years ago on a short trip to AI, I hooked into a good one had to be 50" or better, but lost'em in the wash... Even the NPS folks seemed nice, friendly, and seemed genuinely interested in the well fair of the fishermen, unlike down south.

Jon, they are home waters for many of us. So they are special no matter what the fish counts. But as long as you're talking fish counts and going south...

Last year the AI tourney had I think 68 entrants and six fish were caught. One per 11 anglers.

Last year the NCBBA tourney on the northern Hatteras beaches had 300 entrants and nine big fish caught. 1 per 33 anglers.

Don't get me wrong, we all know the difficulty of drum fishing on AI but so what? And many of us know how the fishing is down south. NC drum fishing is no stranger to us. I've caught more fish in a week down there than I have total on AI, but so what? However if you have ever drum fished AI you would know they are some of the largest and hardest fighting drum caught on any beach, anywhere.

Now if by saying "go south" you're talking about the Sandbridge/Back Bay area... no thanks. I prefer to fish from my truck.

As far as structure, never been on the extreme southern VA beaches but I have been on the Carova beaches immediately sout and they truly are a structural desert.

Congrats to the winner. I heard the grass was bad. Do you think that had anything to do with catching fewer fish and anyone know if the grass is still around?

not sure how grass affects the fish.

the grass does affect your fishing though. the grass gets into your line and ends up dragging left or right towards shore...possibly tangling your lines also. thus, your bait isn't staying where you want it to.