Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
browndrake

Snags, break at the knot or not???

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

This past weekend, I finally got out to test my Firline. ( I am using it on a Penn 5500s. ) I couldn't have been happier. I didn't run into any problems, except for a guide losing its inner ring. (whether it was from the line, or wear and tear I do not know, I'll just repair it) My question has to do with breaking off a snag. While fishing a Jig I got hung up and had problems actually breaking this stuff. I was fishing a 30lb mono leader which I attached to the fireline with a barrel swivel. A half blood knot from the mono to the swivel, and a palomar knot for the Fireline to the swivel.

Question #1. When I broke off I had to use something so that I wouldn't cut my hand. What do you guys do to protect your hand while pulling out the snag. I ended up wrapping the Fireline around my pliers, and that was a pain.

Question #2 After inspecting the line I realized the break occured at the barrel swivel. I assumed the Half Blood simply broke rather than the 30lb. mono or the Fireline(some strong stuff). Is that what I want to achieve when looking for a good terminal tackle connection. The break to occur at the Knot(the weakest link) or am I wrong.

Thanks for the help

Ant

Ant:

I use a palomar knot to join the braid to the swivel, a clinch knot to join the leader to the other side of the swivel, and a loop knot to attach the jig to the leader. When I get snagged, it almost always breaks at the jig. This way you get your leader back. And yes, you have to have something to wrap the braid around to break it off or else you will get a nasty cut.

Ant,

I use fireline on my 5500 also and have had the same situation. I use a double palomar for fireliine to swivel with a uniknot for fluoro leader to the swivel and another single palomar to a snap (usually). I use 20# fireline and 20# leader material. Almost always the leader will break at a knot when trying to free a snag. I wrap a rag around my hand then the fireline around that and pull away. I hate losing tackle to snags.

It just newburn.gif

I cup the spool using the my palm, little, ring, and middle fingers. I brace the line roller and its arm with my thumb and index finger and pull straight back. IMO taking a wrap around anything is dangerous. Should that anything mistakenly be a body part and you've got a bad wound, especially should you stumble.