Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Klein

DelMarVa Fishin' Reports; September 16 - 30

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

I got back out on AI after a LONG involuntary absence. Using some advise from some of the great members on this board ... I still took the big poles out but also brought a smaller pole and cast right at the first break with some small hooks... I brought in two 12" Black Drum (my first Drum) and this little guy... any help ID'ing him? Thanks for the help and I look forward to some good Fall fishing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishizzle View Post

That is a small pompano. What bait were you using.

John

I have found that real bloodworms tipped with FBBW caught them well.  They were really close to shore also.  That was late summer though.

...castnet was that on AI MD ya caught them drum ?

VA, don't think I've surf fished in MD for 2 years now and even then that was OC. :b40:

Went to the beach Monday afternoon with not much to report other then a few small sharks. It was really slow. Tuesday afternoon I took the kayak out for trout. Caught a few dinks and a couple grub cutting bluefish.

Wednesday I took the day off. Actually got up early and had rods in the water before it was light out (I usually can't wake up early enough to do that). 2 skates on incoming and the blues showed up on outgoing. New moon had the waves running over the berm and flooding some areas of the beach like Allen's picture showed. It made driving a little tough until it dried up. Was out of bait by 2 pm so I went home to take a break, grab some bait and lunch, and planned to try in the afternoon for incoming.

I found plenty of small sharks in the afternoon and a blue here and there. The last hour of light got frantic though and I was run ragged fishing three bait rods alone. Had multiple hook ups at the same time or was hooked up with one rod while out trying to cast another. Almost all the hits were 'slack' hits too. Fish were all running to the beach.

So...line goes slack on rod #1, run over and reel until tight, pull back and it takes off...ray. Land it, unhook, and walk over to drag it back in the water. I walked under rod #2 and it's line hits my face. Rod #2 is slack now too, run over and the same thing as soon as I tighten up...ray again! Get it in and re-bait both. Toss #1 out then toss the second. As I turn around after casting the second rod #1 is slack already. Thinking ray again as I run over but as soon as I tighten up I can tell it's better then a ray... 45" drum! Mid-fight rod #3 is slack. Didn't get to it until after I snapped a few quick pics and released the drum and by the time I got there mainline was cut. Hoping it was a shark. Frantic, but fun and well worth it! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plug View Post

Drum Crack! 50" fish have a way of doing that to you.

Congrats on the great fish and tourny win Dave! Any pics?

sorry so long to respond, tried to post a pic yesterday but never went through.IMG_0398_449x252.jpg

Fished OCMD last night, lots of rats, one fish to 27" Also, a friend caught a brown trout while casting a swim shad. Pretty rare way to get one. Saw a couple blues caught, but as I was throwing plastic, glad I was spared. Cheers.

Fished OCMD last night, lots of rats, one fish to 27" Also, a friend caught a brown trout while casting a swim shad. Pretty rare way to get one. Saw a couple blues caught, but as I was throwing plastic, glad I was spared. Cheers.

Brown Trout? Speckled Trout perhaps?

Fished today with a good friend. :) Had a great time, but no feesh for me...

lOC family stopped by, that Skylar is a sweetheart. Saw his new rod in person. Even prettier in real life! ;)

One big washover near 27.

Lotta surfers up north, big water from Ophelia I suppose...