Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

IBSP

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

I was at the Island yesterday. I'm airing down at area 23 and just before I enter the access road, the Park Ranger truck pulls up and stops about 40 feet from the entrance. I pause to let him enter the beach ahead of me and he turns around and heads back north on the blacktop.. I guess that was the end of his patrol???? No need to check out anything on the sand????

How did u do?

see u south of there soon?

I need to find this guy and borrow his teleportation devise

Good stuff :th:

Steven, was he aired down and did he drive off without a problem after the ticket?

You know Lou I was fishing w/ Rick in the pocket and didn't see the guy pull in. So I was curious as well on how he actually got to the inlet when I noticed the car.

It just worked out he decided to leave ahead of me. He just got in the track and went. Like a bat out of hell. I tried to stay w/ him but was having trouble. From a distance I saw him just go up and over at 23. From what I could tell he just aired down and went for it.

Hope to see ya Sunday Lou.

Speaking of "what are they thinking" I was on the north jetty recently, it was rough out there and then here comes a guy with 4 little kids, each with a Snoopy rod and the dad with a crab trap - on the jetty! He tried making it out to the end but he fell and probably cracked his knee cap - poor bassturd. We helped off the jetty and then gave us all his bait - squid and hotdogs! Not sure what the hell he was trying to catch with those. I have seen this more than a few times, people bringing little kids out onto a dangerous jetty.

I'm sure those who fish IBSP regularly already know that the fishing is heating up there. I was there yesterday morning, myself and a few buddies were into cocktail blues all morning, also one keeper fluke and a couple of short bass (on teasers) were also caught.

The guy who drove on the rocks almost hit a few kids who were gathering crabs for Tog. :mad: He was given a pretty good attitude adjustment by one of the regulars. ;) After that he was busted for drunken driving and speeding on the beach. The cops came looking for the good citizen who tuned him up but nobody saw anything. :p

I guess it's just the curmudgeon in me showing. I am thinking of all the bathers migrating over to the fishing area in the Two Bit area as well. Their kids playing on the dunes, not even a fishing rod out for show. I figure the Park doesn't want to offend the tourists. Mean time, according to the women at the booth, I can't fish the park swimming area until October.  

Lou,

I've had my wife and kids with me over at two bit to enjoy the sand while I try and hook up some fish for the kids to reel in. Guess what, park police came and told us to leave, that we ALL have to be actively fishing. At the time they were 3 and 7, and too young to truely enjoy fishing on their own but not too young to enjoy some time on the sand with dad, and we were asked to leave. Funny how that works, huh?

while i was out earlier this week, i came in from the jetty, and a gentleman told me that the ranger pulled up tight to my vehicle,looking it over very closely. Ranger said they were following up on reports of a poacher (not me, but a similar vehicle). -nice to see.

That same day, i come in from the jetty with a keeper fluke and another fisherman wanted me to measure it in front of him to verify it was a keeper:) , granted, it was barely 19", but I measured it before bringing it in. I guess its nice to see guys watching and confronting on kept fish, but i gotta say I was a bit annoyed at the time.

That same day, i come in from the jetty with a keeper fluke and another fisherman wanted me to measure it in front of him to verify it was a keeper:) , granted, it was barely 19", but I measured it before bringing it in. I guess its nice to see guys watching and confronting on kept fish, but i gotta say I was a bit annoyed at the time.

I don't think I would be very nice about it if he wasn't a CO showing a badge :mad: Have him lay 3 20's on the fish end to end that's about 18 3/8" :)

I don't think I would be very nice about it if he wasn't a CO showing a badge :mad: Have him lay 3 20's on the fish end to end that's about 18 3/8" :)

I hear ya Lou, i was on quite a high from having such a good time though (my first time driving on the beach, first time fishing the north jetty), that combined with the gentleman's advanced years kinda kept me in check.

I'm not so sure I would have shown or measured anything for him. May have told him a legal fish needs to be 18" and I only keep legal fish, Get your eyes or binoculars checked.  

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I did a search to find some updated information on the park and this was the most recent. At the risk of adding another person to the crowd with the additional questionable judgement of doing it on Thanksgiving wknd, I was wondering if some things are still true about the park? For the first time in a lot of years my wife and I are planning to come up and put together a large family Thanksgiving Day dinner in South Jersey and I have the itch to visit the old stomping grounds - the last time was when Jean & Art's was still open.

-Is the $8.00 fee mentioned earlier in this thread still the same in the fall, or after Labor Day?

-Can you still park at two-bit and walk the beach north and south?

-Can you still park at "110" and walk down to the Gov's Mansion?

-Would it be worth trying to get the weekend pass to drive on the beach? I'll be in this:

-If so, when you get on at Gilikins, can you drive any further north or only south?

Thanks in advance for any information at all.

On the issue of rules enforcement, after 31 years in the Marine Corps I am all for government employees earning their paychecks but after what the "no enforcement" complaint has led to down here on the outer banks, sometimes the best thing is self policing the violators ourselves. If you bomb the park police with specifics and license plate numbers, they'll eventually get it. I don't mean to lecture and no, I don't know better but the easiest answer for any government agency to give at any level, is "no". After which no more work is required on their part and we are all out of access. Thanks again for any help.

Tight Lines,

George Mason

Matt. 4:19

-Is the $8.00 fee mentioned earlier in this thread still the same in the fall, or after Labor Day?

-Can you still park at two-bit and walk the beach north and south?

-Can you still park at "110" and walk down to the Gov's Mansion?

-Would it be worth trying to get the weekend pass to drive on the beach? I'll be in this:

-If so, when you get on at Gilikins, can you drive any further north or only south?

Thanks in advance for any information at all.

Might be a little cheaper than $8 especially during the weeky

You can park at 2 bit and walk as far north or south as you want

You can park at 110 and walk anywhere you want

3 day pass is $50

You can't drive north of Gillikins but this time of the year you can drive south to the inlet