IBSP

Rate this topic

Spigola

Just a little history of fishing in IBSP..

A bunch of years ago the park was closed to all at night. Then fishermen got it opened to fish 24/7 for fishing after normal park hours.

Some years back Gillikins was completely closed to buggies during the summer months. Then fishermen got it opened 24/7 for fishing only.

Read the buggy permits "Sport fishing permit'

I really don't mind folks enjoying IBSP it's a beautiful place. Nothing wrong with swimming and boogie boarding in the designated areas. Build a fire and gather the family in designated areas. I've certainly been enjoying it for some years.

Lately there has been a lot of disregard for the park rules and folks know they can get away with it due to lack of enforcement. Stick your snoopy rod in a spike and you're actively fishing. Surfing and swimming in a must be actively fishing area is okay since no one is there to stop you.

I don't know what the job description of the state park police is but I don't think it's enforcing the park rules :confused:

A few weekends ago, a minivan was burried up to the chasis right at A23 access. NY tags, not FWD, and they had no equipment to help themselves. A few people dug them out. There were many minivans there that weekend and the patrol drove right on by..

Its my opinion that they ignore the obvious non-permitted vehicles because they dont want to lose the revenue altogether.

Aside from everything I read on this thread . . . Island Beach is a real nice place. I swear! I go there for a respite from bickering and I find it almost every time. For real.

It was pretty crowded this weekend but it was still nice. I couldn't have been happier with my experience there this weekend, because, I literally could not have been happier.

The worst thing, if I had to name something bad, was the water was yellow, likely from the bloom coming in. Yes, the beach was narrow at high tide in most places from the storm.

I am a walk on, but often catch rides with a buddy. IBSP is one of my favorite places to fish because there is so many options. I spend a considerable amount of time early spring and late fall down at the jetty, but not as much in-between. The congestion down at the jetty is one thing, because most of that group is on the same page and many are willing to lend a hand to those that look out of place.

I don’t fish the open beach much, because I don’t like sand, but once the summer season hits the beach is just too crowded and too hot for me. Even those who normally spread out along the beach get pushed down toward the jetty.

As far as violations, yes there are many, but what are your biggest concerns. If you want something addressed make a list and find someone to present the list to someone that wants to listen.

-I mind the groups that take up massive space and large tents. The little bathroom tents I don’t mind as much, but some visitors are setting up small house.

-I am ok with driving on to swim if that is allowed in that section, but with the extended fluke season I will get peeved when I can’t walk the surf line and pick away at monsters munching down on mullet.

-Now I know many will not like this one, but there should be a limit on the number of rods you can have out. These picket fences are often not in the water or are washed up on the beach. I cant count how many times I have watched someone with a trout rod and tiny spinning reel toss his bait off and stick the rod in a spike. It is only funny when they wade out in jeans to do it and take a fall on the way back in.

-Unattended rods are one of my larges complaints. I can’t count how many times I have been walking back from the jetty at night/early morning and rods that are spiked at the high mark are sitting on the beach at low tide. It is even worse when the sinker is not even in the water any more.

-My biggest pet peeve is with abandoned fires (and I have yet to get an answer on how to deal with them). I walk on so it is no simple task to douse a fire and burry it. Simply burying it could be bad news for the guy who comes along in the next half hour and parks on it, so I often just let it burn. I have called the office and each time they have told me to stay with the fire until park police arrive. I waited a half hour once, but never again. I will tell you exactly how far from the drive on or inlet the fire is and continue on my marry way.

But in the end I love the park. Wish they would give us a 24/7 shower at the bathroom, and let us launch kayaks off the beach, but I still love the park.

Who wants to float another poll out to the tip of the jetty?

O by the way is it true that some knuckle head tried to drive his jeep on the jetty this past weekend?

Not sure about that.......

But did find this guy a few weeks ago at the pocket.

[img=

Guess he didn't realize exceptional driving skills were not the only thing he needed to get to the North jetty ........forgot about the permit ;)

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2174171/width/600/height/700]

SOL Member # 8O / Post # 26

IAs far as violations, yes there are many, but what are your biggest concerns. If you want something addressed make a list and find someone to present the list to someone that wants to listen.

You can't find someone who cares :mad:

-I mind the groups that take up massive space and large tents. The little bathroom tents I don’t mind as much, but some visitors are setting up small house.

Some actually camp on the beach :mad:

-I am ok with driving on to swim if that is allowed in that section, but with the extended fluke season I will get peeved when I can’t walk the surf line and pick away at monsters munching down on mullet.

Gillikins area is actively fishing only :mad:

-Now I know many will not like this one, but there should be a limit on the number of rods you can have out. These picket fences are often not in the water or are washed up on the beach. I cant count how many times I have watched someone with a trout rod and tiny spinning reel toss his bait off and stick the rod in a spike. It is only funny when they wade out in jeans to do it and take a fall on the way back in.

When I started to go to IBSP they were going to have a lottery for 600 passes, now there are over 5000. At the time they asked each angler to limit themselves to 2 rods and keep them at waters edge :mad:

-Unattended rods are one of my larges complaints. I can’t count how many times I have been walking back from the jetty at night/early morning and rods that are spiked at the high mark are sitting on the beach at low tide. It is even worse when the sinker is not even in the water any more.

-My biggest pet peeve is with abandoned fires (and I have yet to get an answer on how to deal with them). I walk on so it is no simple task to douse a fire and burry it. Simply burying it could be bad news for the guy who comes along in the next half hour and parks on it, so I often just let it burn. I have called the office and each time they have told me to stay with the fire until park police arrive. I waited a half hour once, but never again. I will tell you exactly how far from the drive on or inlet the fire is and continue on my marry way.

But in the end I love the park. Wish they would give us a 24/7 shower at the bathroom, and let us launch kayaks off the beach, but I still love the park.

Who wants to float another poll out to the tip of the jetty?

I also love it :love:

I also love it :love:

As do I. I just got in from dropping rods, reels, and sand spikes off to a friend. He's Scoutmaster for another Troop and is bringing 5 or 6 kids to IBSP later this month. Several of them have never seen the ocean and a few have never fished. I actually thoguht abut this thread when I was explaining some basic beach etiquette and driving rules to him (they're taking two trucks and are buying three day passes). They'll have a ball and won't be one of "them."

NOBODY here has a pass to blow out someone else's candle in order to make theirs shine brighter. TLDig[

As do I. I just got in from dropping rods, reels, and sand spikes off to a friend. He's Scoutmaster for another Troop and is bringing 5 or 6 kids to IBSP later this month. Several of them have never seen the ocean and a few have never fished. I actually thoguht abut this thread when I was explaining some basic beach etiquette and driving rules to him (they're taking two trucks and are buying three day passes). They'll have a ball and won't be one of "them."

Are the scoutmasters familiar with the beach and surf fishing? I can and would be happy to assist if I'm available.

It doesn't surprise me people are camping out on the beach, for $200 they are renting beach front property for the summer. They can live out of their trucks/tents indefinately. There should be someone checking to make sure all vehicles have rods/tackle if not you can't drive to the fishing spots.

It doesn't surprise me people are camping out on the beach, for $200 they are renting beach front property for the summer. They can live out of their trucks/tents indefinately. There should be someone checking to make sure all vehicles have rods/tackle if not you can't drive to the fishing spots.

There you go.

If the state park police don't drive the beach they can inspect vehicles entering the 3 access roads. Don't have proper equiptment you're out of here. :th:

I feel like stating that the state park police do nothing is like saying cops in a town dont do anything when you see someone speeding without being pulled over. There is 10 miles of beach to patrol along with the bay, they cant be every place at once. There are days I will go there and not see one officer, then other days when I see several.

Quote:Originally Posted by Eric_Sfirst hit turned out to be a 13lb bass on a big plug. Very happy to see stripes again so I humped it then sent it on its way.

I feel like stating that the state park police do nothing is like saying cops in a town dont do anything when you see someone speeding without being pulled over. There is 10 miles of beach to patrol along with the bay, they cant be every place at once. There are days I will go there and not see one officer, then other days when I see several.

You can only patrol along the bay by boat, except for a couple small areas. There is/was a small dock area where they use to keep a couple boats but it got

sanded in and no longer used. Boats sit in the maintenance yard.