Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFF

Daiwa

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Question-- How does the slx 20 compare to the Penn 525 or the Abu 6500 mag in distance reached considering all are tuned? I'm thinking of using the 20 on a XRA 1322 with the new stealth braid 30# for plugging only. Thanks.

PFF

Penn and Diawa have far superior drags to the Abu. Upgrading the abu drag wasgers helps but its still not a penn or diawa drag.

For the money you can beat the shv 20. I have 2 30 shvs and 2 penns 525. I likwe thw 30 and itr casts as well as the 525. My frined using the 20 cast it as far as the 525. The difference is infinte anti reverse. The 20 shv doesnt have it the 525 does. TYhe 525 has adjustable magnets. The shv doesnt. Butif your good at casting conventionals the mags arnt needed.

Pesronally I would get the 20 shv.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

This is a generalization...Penn's 525 Mag or Abu's Ambassadeur 6500 Mag Elite will cast further than Daiwa's 20SHV...I own all these reels and in my hands the 525 Mag will cast farther under most situations, followed closely my the Mag Elite... But the 20SHV is no slouch...it will cast far and no doubt in the right hands it will beat the other reels... Honestly, all 3 are long distance casting reels and will meet the requirements of

99% of the fishers that can take advantage of their casting potential...

Now w/ that said all 3 reels are somewhat unique and of course have some shortcomings. The 525 Mag will backlash more than the others...the reel is extremely fast right from the factory and I strongly suggest that you re-mag it. Otherwise, the reel is excellent w/ a large and very smooth drag...holds more line than the other 2 if memory serves me right, and has a loud clicker. USA made and parts readily available...

The Abu is all metal, built like a tank but somewhat prone to corrosion, especially if you defer maintenance like most of us...the reel is a bite more manageable than the 525 Mag for backlashes, but holds less line and the factory drag is mediocre-consider Smooothie drags washers as John M stated... Also, no clicker... There is something about the Ambassadeur's that puts them in a class by themselves IMO...not sure what, but they have remained favorites for half a century now...maybe that European design and engineering!

The Daiwa 20SHV is all graphite like the Mag 525, but screws holes are not metal sleeved in the frame/side plates. I have already had a problem w/ this...some threads have prematurely stripped. The other complaint is that the handle is so far off center of the reel that cranking causes your reel/rod to rock...very annoying to me. Part of the reason for the handle being off center so much is that the drag is stacked high...this gives the reel the smoothest drag of the 3 we are talking about, but for me this reel is just to unbalanced because of that handle. The reel does have 6:1 gear ratio, making for a faster lure retrieve, but this too has a cost...the higher the gear ratio the harder to crank in a big fish...a 6:1 reel has no place in my arsenal if I am fishing bait and especially if the species targeted is something like big Red Drum in the OBX...

img00011.gifimg00013.gifimg00012.gif

I have an older "Slosh" 30. If you can get an older "Slosh" for under $80 as it appears you can at Bass Pro, that's a real good buy on a reel that isn't that far behind the SLV in fishability.

Of the SLV, Mag Elite and 525 Mag, I think the Penn gives you the best bang for the buck if you can control it. If not, the non-Mag 525 runs a little cheaper and has a centrifugal brake. I have a non-mag 535 and with all the brakes off, it is about the same as a Squidder in terms of spool speed on the cast and thumb controlability.

Anyone experiment with heavier oils in the 525 Mags? I've been told that the stock oil that comes in it is red Rocket Fuel.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 03-01-2003).]

DJ I have been using the opil that came with the 525 I fisrt bought. It didnt come with rocket fuel. This oil is a bit thicker and it does fine int he reel. I also use this oil in my Shvs.......In my mag elites I use riocket oil. I am almost out of the heavier oil so I need to find something comprable.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com