Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Dickinson

Triple Palomar

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Anyone ever heard of this knot. I was mentioned in a article I read. Supossedly stronger when tied with braid than the standard palomar. Somebody educate me.

Crazy Bill

Yikes! While the triple surgeon's knot is a fine one, strong, versatile...I wouldn't use it for braid...but then again, I've never tried it with braid. It just doesn't seem like it would have enough turns to get over the slickness of the braid. For example, the modified Albright I use with braid uses 20 turns instead of the 10 or so you can get away with on mono.

Maybe I'll have to try it with the braid...it's sure easier than an Albright!

TimS

OK....so how is a double or a triple Palomar knot tied ?? I always use the regular Palomar but never heard of the others. Instead of a single overhand do you just double or triple the turns ??

Thanks

Triple Palomar? Ive seen conflicting descriptions.

A classic paolmar is tied:

1 with doubled line through the swivel, or snap once

2 followed by a single overhand (surgeons knot)

3 passing the swivel etc through the looped tag end

4 a single tag end is the result

Some people have described the double palomar as either two passes through the swivel or a double overhand knot. Following this logic a triple would probably entail a triple overhand knot before passing the swivel through the looped tag end. It would probably be difficult to tighten evenly with most lines. Haven't tried it yet.

When Rumble Fish mentions three tag ends I'm not really sure as to how that would be tied. I do use a three turn clinch knot or improved clinch knot tied with doubled line on some leaders. It results in a single tag and a loop. Its a handy way to attach a teaser. If you trim the loop you get three tag ends. In my mind this knot is a doubled improved clinch knot.

The key difference between a palomar knot and a clinch knot tied with doubled line is passing the swivel through the loop or not.

If the point is a no slip knot the single palomar has worked just fine for me with whiplash and power pro in heavier weights like 30+. Might be different with the really fine stuff. With the infamous Fusion 30 I found that if the line twisted over itself when passed through the swivel it would invariably break under even moderate shock loading. Probably cut right through itself. When I used that stuff I gave up on the recommended palomar knot and used a six turn improved clinch knot. If it was tied perfectly, no twists, no bulges and had evenly stacked coils it worked fine. I think this was one of the problems with that line...sloppy knots broke very easily.

Interesting business this knot stuff.