Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
achez

Clueless Jet Skiers

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

While trying to enjoy a kayak ride in upper reaches of the manasquan (I believe it is a wildlife perserve)...I almost got clocked by a jet skier going about 30 mph. This tidal area is about 40-50 feet wide, approx. 6 feet deep and is very windy with tall brush. A sign posted at the entrance of the area clearly states no wake zone. Over the course of about an hour or two about half a dozen jet skiers buzzed the area with no regard. Next, a 23-foot wellcraft buzzes through with a few idots who decide to dispose a few beer cans over the side. I am prepared to file a complaint to the Marine Police about this. Has anyone else had experiences with this insidious pests? Shouldn't areas like this be off limits to power boats/jet skis?

[This message has been edited by achez (edited 07-24-2000).]

[This message has been edited by achez (edited 07-24-2000).]

God, I hate those waterturds. They are the most significant irritant on the water, more persistent that no-seeums and more annoying than green flies. They're noisy, rude, obnoxious, disturbing and have no redeeming value. It should be illegal to ever operate a waterturd within a mile of any shoreline.

That would make launching them, interesting! devil.gif

Jet Skis aren't THAT bad. I hate those go fast boats so much more. I would rather have jet skis zipping past me than those damn speed boats mad.gif . I was fishing GE Inlet yesterday and every 5 minutes you have some a$$hole in a speedboat zipping by @ 60 mph. No wonder people are getting killed in the back bays.

Jet skies are the scum of the Earth, has anyone else noticed that they only like to come into the beach next to the jetties that have fisherman on them, hey look at me I'm cool mad.gif. These guy really Pi$$ me off to no end.

They've got to make the test harder, with more common sense questions, 99% of them would fail.

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

I've learned to hate them over the years because, like Dubs said, they feel the only part of the water worth buzzing around on are the parts where they can get plenty of attention. Unfortunately for us, that means where people are fishing and boating. I've had jet-skis scooting across the water well within casting distance of everyone fishing and grinning like a monkey at a fruit stand. I've never been broken off by one, yet, but I've had them rip across my line plenty of times.

I wish the test for a waterturd license included calculus and quantum physics, but would probably be restrictive enough if it just included simple addition and subtraction.

My wife wants to get a jet ski....is that grounds for divorce? smile.gif

Wind surfers here in CT aren't much better. Or at least when I was daytime fishing off Meigs Point a number of years ago they weren't. I had one guy tell me to fish off the other side of the jetty if I didn't like him running across my line. That's the beauty of night fishing, no windsurfing or jet skiing yahoos to deal with.

That's pretty gutsy for a wind surfer, they are a little slower and less monouverable than a jet ski, making it easier to get a bead on him eek.gif with that 4 1/2 ounce Mega Bait jig. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

This sort of enforcement problem is why, ultimately, we need a SW license, to demonstrate numbers and create a revenue stream that can be protected from inclusion in the 'general fund.' Make the fisherman wear a visible license that an officer can glass from a distance - I've done that as a tourist in Penna, and it didn't bother the fish. Make the jetski& boat community survuve a course and wear theirs the same way. The number of officers who can fairly be described as the Fish Police are too small to matter for something as small and easily poached as bass, and the only way that changes is with a dedicated revenue stream.

And, as a PS to my last post - I find jetskiers more a hazard than boaters. The 'skis are more often rented, and most rental skiffs are relatively low-powered boats that don't encourage high-speed stupidity as much as a jetski. And the shallow draft of the jets helps them get stupid in quiet backwaters where muscle boats don't go. I get out of the water in a hurry when a skier wanders into the area.

The problem I have is safety issue....Many of the jet skiers are young with no experience on the water and with no idea of boating rules and practices. They are also in control of a machine that can achieve very high speeds. As far as I know if the engine quits out they are unable to steer, since the propulsion and direction is controlled by the turbine. Another words if it quits out they are coming straight at you (or whatever).

I've always thought of ya know...throwing a weighted treble hook at those jet skiers, but then again, that's a waste of money on a perfectly good hook biggrin.gif .

I wouldn't ever cast a weight at a speed boat though. Besides being stupid, most of them are usually very drunk too vader.gif .

I've always thought of ya know...throwing a weighted treble hook at those jet skiers, but then again, that's a waste of money on a perfectly good hook biggrin.gif .

I wouldn't ever cast a weight at a speed boat though. Besides being stupid, most of them are usually very drunk too vader.gif .