Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pete

kayak on pickup camper roof help

7 posts in this topic

Hello all!tried loading hobie outback on camper roof solo....no luck needed help from wifey, camper is about 10 ft hi. tried leaning yak against roof rack and pulling it up just not strong enuf 52 years of abuse lol when i managed to get wifey to help with a little push i was able to pull it the rest of the way onto the rack and slide it into position. i was wondering if anyone has tried some type of pulley system to assist in loading single handed thanks in advance Pete

Maybe tie a rope to it to help you out ? lean the kayak upright on the camper and then go on top of the camper to get it up. i load my ocean prowler on a jeep liberty alone. its pretty hard. be careful if your on top of the camper. dont wanna fall off.

How about a tall step stool? When we go on vacation, we take my wife's Toyota minivan. I use a step stool and am able to get any of our kayaks up there, including a heavy Hobie. I throw the step stool in the back of the van and take it with us. I have one set of J-hooks up there and another kayak goes deck down on the bars. Without the step stool, there's no way I'd be able to get a kayak in/out of the J-hooks. It's just too high.

thanks all, I tried going from front ,but i need to stand on the hood ... ill just say they dont make gmc s like they used to! im in the process of making a roller system (2 pipes) and some blocks ill l post pics if it works Pete

Don't reinvent the wheel!

2" ID Schedule 40 PVC fits over the bars in a stock roof rack, pipe insulation and duct tape makes the rollers soft.

Someone makes a hand-cranked winch, that mounts on your front bumper.

You just attach the rope to your front hook, lean the 'yak against the back, and crank it up.