Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SurfFisher08

Alternative to waders?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hey Crew,

As a back story, my father in law drowned up in the mountains trout fishing a couple years ago. So now my fiance definitely does not want me to own a pair of waders since that's what dragged him down.

What's a good alternative to waders? Dry suits, dry pants + dry boots, or just neoprene farmer john style wetsuit etc? Thanks for any intel. It's f'n cold plugging at night.

-SF08

Did your father in law have a belt on the outside of his waders? If you don't plan on going in too deep, waist high waders may be an option. You shouldn't be wading past yoour knees in moving water anyway.

There is absolutely no evidence that waders will cause you to sink like a rock :p

If waders turn into "anchors" when filled with water, the angling community might have lost one of the 20th Century's greatest trout fishing icons -- Lee Wulff -- long before his death in 1991 at the age of 86. In the 1940s, Wulff gathered some outdoors writers and staged a somewhat famous demonstration designed to dispel the myth about waders morphing into lethal anchors or, conversely, into balloons of trapped air that flip anglers onto their submerged heads.

Wulff slipped into his waders and jumped off a bridge (in February) into about 30 feet of water. His waders quickly filled to the brim, but Wulff didn't sink like the Titanic or float feet-first like a bobber. He simply swam to shore.

Similarly there is a video of a guy trying to drown himself in a pool to no avail

In a pool or lake, having your waders fill with water is ganerally not a problem. If you're in moving water like a river or in a rip or current in the ocean, they fill up and act like a sea anchor making it very difficult to swim.

One of the hardcore guys on here fishes in Vans and Dickies. Another self-professed Alpha Male fuels up with Filipino MRE's and scoffs at the cold. Regardless, I wouldn't get too ambitious wading at night. A lot of the fish are often in close. You might get a little wet if you're putting one back.

Nah, I saw a guy wearing on of those on the HMB jetties a few months back. I couldn't stop from laughing.

I have a few farmer john dive wetsuits I'll just wear. No big deal. Thanks for all the intel.

CLearly SFishrs girl has laid down the law on waders, so let's not try and convince him otherwise, since that just makes him the middleman which is a losing proposition.

SFishr - as someone who spends a fair amount of time in the water, the 3mm is probably fine, but it depends on how deep into surf you typically stand, the time of day you fish and time of year. Early morning into day break it's likely fine, as is sunset. If you're fishing in dark, the 3mm might not be enough. The "problem" with a wetsuit is that it lets you wade out further than you typically would wearing anything other than a wetsuit. If it's dark, breezy, and >3 ft. swell, I'd wear a 5mm. I'm 6' and 200# so the 3mm farmerJ is perfect more times than not. Wearing a full suit is restrictive. The farmerJ allows arm movement which is sort of a big deal if you are casting for line-sides in the surf.

If your girl wants to tag along, I have a O'Neill womens 4.5mm medium full-suit zip front if she'd like it. Free to good home.

jc 

p.s. sorry about your father-in-law.

Thanks man. There's a nice 3mm for sale on craigslist I'll pickup if I can get the right price.

Yeah the guy was fit too, ran multiple marathons/year and was a Vietnam vet. Definitely hardcore which is why his death came as a shock to all of us. The Mrs has laid down the law and it's bad enough she decided to marry a fisherman.

I totally agree that in a lake, a wader full of water is no danger at all. A high mountain river w/ boulders, waterfalls, rapids, and fast moving cold water is a whole other monster. I shore dive often enough to know that the river and the surf are completely different and I would be completely fine even w/ a wader full of water. Explaining that to the Mrs w/o her getting angry and crying is a whole matter I've learned to avoid.

Neoprene. the only way to go.

Yes they can be hot on a warm day but so are waders.

After falling in the Trinity in December on a cold snowy day. The waders went into the garbage and I bought neoprene waders.

Have been using them for 25+ years. They last forever the price is right and I have never been cold fishing the Trinity and or Truckee ever.

Now walking in 3mm neoprene in the summer time when its warm is a pia but so are waders.

You never have to worry about the neoprene waders filling up with water.

Crossing the small stream feeding into the Trinity was my mistake, Now I understand why guys walk up to the road and cross the bridge but regardless. Chalked it up as a lesson learned

Plus you want to keep the misses happy. Happy Wife Happy Life is the old Greek and Italian sayings!