Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carp13

I'm Motorized!

22 posts in this topic

All right fellas here it is. I finally pulled the trigger on the Bass Yaks motor set up for my Malibu Stealth 12. I opted for the 40lb thrust motor and the motor lift kit (allows you to lift the motor from the cockpit) on the good advice of the owner/inventor. I originally purchased my kayak fully rigged from Steve in 2009. He gave me a great deal then and he gave me a great deal on the motor setup. My experiences in dealing with him have been nothing but positive and I highly recommend his shop and utilizing his services. He's not only a shop owner and a kayak salesman but he's also a die-hard fisherman. He knows his stuff and he also developed a great little motor set-up for kayaks. You can see more of his work and get more info at bass yaks.com. I took mine out for the first time yesterday and in what is now my third season with my yak I do not hesitate for one second to say that it was the most productive,care free day of fishing I've had on it. Having the motor allows me to fish the whole time and not only that but on fishy water. There is no putting down your rod to correct your position, there is no long paddle to "the spot",even better there is no long paddle back in. I fished Millstone on Sunday and fished right in the wash. That would have been impossible to do without the motor. Early morning there were bluefish breaking on bait. When they showed their selves I motored over there,made a cast and hooked up. When they showed up again somewhere else I motored over there and made a cast,hooked up again. I did that six times! In the past I'd see birds or fish or both and paddle over there only to be too late. The party was already over and it's been very frustrating. Whoever thought you could "run and gun" from a kayak? Now I'm just waiting for some albies to make an appearance! At one point I got a little too excited and motored right into them and sent em down. Yep, I couldn't believe I made a knucklehead move like that and I had to laugh at myself. I also got a 36" striper on the day a fluke and a couple of sea robins. The point is that the motor allows me to spend more time fishing and no time paddling. I bought the kayak as a fishing platform not because I like paddling and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. It allows me to fish in heavy tides,stronger wind than I could by paddling and not expend any energy doing it. And one of the best things is that when I've had enough and need to get back I'm back in no time flat. One of the major concerns with the trolling motors is run-time. Steve has been at this a long time and through trial and error has developed a great product and can counsel you on motor size,battery size etc. so you get maximum use/enjoyment out of your time on the water. And you know,there are a lot of people building their own setups that are based on the Bass Yaks setup and I even considered doing it myself. I don't deny that it can be done but for me personally it's worth a little extra money for the expertise of someone whose been building the better mouse trap for years rather than time spent figuring it out for myself. For the purists who will never motorize, I'll just say that you don't know what you're missing! And for anyone who is skeptical of my review I am not affiliated in any way,shape or form with Bass Yaks. I'm just a very happy customer.

Great report. I spoke to the bass yaks people at length at the last paddlesport. My impression was that they are good guys who know their stuff and are proud of their product. Keep us posted. How about some picts of your rig???

Yeah,I was itchin to fish so bad I didn't bother to take any pics of the set up yet. I'll try to do that when I get home from work this afternoon. And Kross, if you're the guy whose got that super sleek South African yak you ain't gonna need no motor! :)

I don't know what the cruising speed is exactly as I don't have a GPS (yet). That is the next upgrade. I'm toying with the idea of a Hummingbird fishfinder/gps with the down scan. It really feels fast though. When I called it day the other day,by scaling it out on a map I figure I covered about a mile and a quarter in less than ten minutes in the top speed. I can't tell you how good that felt. There was a strong outgoing tide and a steady 15mph or better head wind. And let me tell you that the Stealth is a real boat,in anything less than ideal conditions it is a beast to paddle. I've been caught with my pants down more than once and it was no picnic. I bought a group 24 AGM sealed battery that weighs 54lbs. The extra weight does make the ride a little wetter but I am still (with all my gear) well under the weight capacity of the Stealth. I don't know what the maximum run-time is exactly yet but I fished for 6 hours and still had 50% of the battery left. I was conservative with it for the first half of the trip (no trolling) but when the tide slacked off I kicked it in and out of low speed to keep moving while jigging for fluke with one rod and drifting an eel with the other (very convenient). The second half of the trip I used the motor pretty much constantly while in heavy current. I'm pretty confident that I have enough juice for any fishing I'll be doing. And yeah I may still paddle occasionally when I feel like it. Kross if you ever feel like looking into it,it is worth talking to Steve. He has a metal shop in the back of the kayak store and he designs and fabricates mounting plates for just about every yak out there . JettyJunky I see you are from CT. You do have to register in this state and you also have to have the boating card. Registration cost me $7.50 and the card I already had. It was a 6 hour class but I forget how much it cost. They have the classes at Cabela's on weekends all the time...............Okay so here's the pictures that everyone's been asking for. Enjoy!

[img=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/1831341/width/1000/height/500][img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/1831382/width/1000/height/500][img=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/1831390/width/1000/height/500][img=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/1831420/width/1000/height/500]

You do have to scoot up quite a ways to get the rod out but the reason I put those in was because the flush mounts that came from the factory practically have your reels hanging in the water. NO GOOD!

I just came inside from working on my own bass yaks kit on my stealth 12. After seeing your completed set up, I'm heading back out to the garage! Nice work!!! Where did you mount the throttle control?

The throttle control and kill switch are on the left side of the seat (on the right in the photo) and the motor lift handle is on the other side. You can see the knob for the throttle if you're looking for it but otherwise hard to see (7th photo from top). I have to admit that I cheated though. I had Steve do the install for me. I dropped the yak off on a Tuesday and he had it ready for me on Thursday. Post some pictures when you're finished as I'd like to see your rig too.

Great Company.

I talked to the owner at length and I got a bunch of his cards to give out to customers who ask for this. And lots do.

I wish I asked him about stresses around the mount area and where the steering control comes out of the yaks stern.