Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish Hunter

VS Service

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

What if......someone were to buy VS rights, blueprints etc and dump the warranty rights.

Lower the price on the reels, service them and replace parts at a fair and reasonable price.

Sounds like a way to win for everyone, even if you have a service charge, at least you can keep the reel working.

I know, too simple. smile.gif

I was thinking along this same route - drop the lifetime warranty to one year, no need for annual service, offer repairs and parts at a reasonable price and drop the price of the reel down by 25%. I'd get another one, already got 2.

I hope nobody gets too pissed at the comment i'm about to make, but....

I think it would be better if some other reel manufacturer started making van stall-like reels. Maybe some big company could pick up VS and do what you guys have suggested. It just seems that, no matter what, the small Van Staal company just can't survive on their own with the limited product line that they produce.

The concern would be that the market is extremely limited. Co's that deal in specialty surf stuff just dont seem to last very long - Coastal Products, Dri-core, Hunter...

The products are all very good and they seem to be designed for extreme surf conditions, especially Montauk.

But let's face it, the rest of the fisherman just don't get it or just dont need it (as well as so many on this board who have only been fishing for a few years and maybe wont ever get thier ankles wet.)

Its like me looking at these very expensive Penn Internationals or other comparable reels and wondering aloud why my 4/0 or 6/0 senator cant fill the bill for offshore work.

The owner of the defunct Coastal Products lamented that the majority of tackle sold is sold to yahoos at K-Mart and Wall Mart - folks who might only fish a few times a year.

So, the VS at $500 was probably a bit on the low side. It is much more advanced that just about any other spinning reel (sure it has it problems just like a hummer or a benz) but it was designed for a special segment of the market.

If the Company fails, I sure hope somebody comes up in the aftermarket to offer to service these reels and offer spare parts as needed.

Reliability and price-What is cheaper and more reliable than a handline? If you had to you could catch plenty of fish with one and it would be more of a challenge. Unless you fish for a living, shouldn't that be enough? At some point it becomes more about finetuning the experience so that your enjoyment increases than it is about doing things in the most cost effective manner. If that means spending $600 on 2lbs of aluminum, so be it. If you have to rationalize that you increase your chances of landing a fish of a lifetime (honestly, what percentage of people who buy tackle are going to land a 50# bass), then let the power or positive thinking work for you. For all those who trash things that other people appreciate just because of cost (look at the porsche suv thread for folks who are looking forward to seeing one broken down), examine yourself to see why you are so unhappy.

[ 07-18-2003, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Triet ]

What, something new to break?

Todd, anything new to wear? wink.gifsmile.gif

Triet, are you sure people "trash" others just because of the price? Did yah ask 'em....or do you just know why they "trash" 'em? wink.gif

TimS

Since they aren't in my 2003 pricing, shoot me an email with my cost, estimated shipping (east coast) costs and your minimum retail pricing and I will add them to the online catalog immediately smile.gif

Make the jacket large size please wink.gif

TimS

Triet, I think you're being very presumptive to say that people are trashing VS because of the cost as if it were a jealousy thing. What I see are either actual VS owners who have had problems with the reel and/or company who make the "trashing" remarks. Others like myself simply "question" the money involved. No sense turning this into yet another debate about VS but I think you were way off base with the thought process of many who like to speak their minds around here. wink.gif No need for self examination here. HappyWave.gif The very happy hatman. kiss.gif