Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carp13

Urgent help needed from NYC locals-especially Queens/Bronx area!

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I live in CT/Hartford area but drive a truck every night/morning in NYC. Due to a recent change in my route I have absolutely NOTHING to do from about 4am till 6am. My thinking is of course "Prime time to fish!" But I have NO knowledge of NYC waters at all, never fished them. I'm looking for a spot where I can park a 20' box truck and throw a plug around. I found one place with parking and water but not sure if it's any good. Is Flushing Bay worth a shot? I would really like to fish the Throggs Neck Bridge area but don't know where the access is if any. Any help at all in the form of a PM would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

As far as great nyc spots go, there are few. And the people who fish them will not give them up, because one wrong post on the internet and there will be 25 people there every morning. There are decent, but not "great" spots around, how ever i only fish staten island so I wouldn't be able to give any to you about up there.

I understand that completely. I'm not asking anyone to give up their honey-hole and certainly not asking to post it on the internet. All I'm looking for is a place where I can park a truck,wet a line and possibly catch a fish or two in the form of a PM.

There's a park with a jetty right off the cross island parkway right before the throggs neck bridge exit. I think you can access it from Bell blvd. look on google earth. I think the NYC fire department training facility is right next to it. when your in the park you can almost walk to the base of the bridge. I tryed to get an address for you but came up empty. if you go on google earth or maps follow the cross island parkway north(along little neck bay) and when you get to water zoom in and you'll see a jetty and a parking lot. hope this helps.... BTW DO NOT PARK IN THE MARINA ALONG THE CROSS ISLAND PARKWAY, YOU WILL BE TOWED AWAY IN A MATTER OF 30 SECONDS, MAYBE FASTER.....

thats ft totten, yes you access from bell blvd but at best sm. blues i have been told by locals. the whole area of the throggs and whitestone bridge is dead during the summer. ok in spring then again late fall. .and always pick high tide as to major tide drop and garbage bottom everywhere.

Thanks for the info fellas I will look into it. If there is a chance that I can bend the rod that's good enough for me. Honestly just looking to kill time for the most part. Already been looking at the ti++y bars, they close at 4am.:mad: Rather be fishin' anyway.

Thanks for the info fellas I will look into it. If there is a chance that I can bend the rod that's good enough for me. Honestly just looking to kill time for the most part. Already been looking at the ti++y bars, they close at 4am.:mad: Rather be fishin' anyway.

I'm sure there's an after hours place around there somewhere.......lol

Don't overlook the Ft. Totten jetty and the shore areas to the bridge, I have pulled plenty of 10-17 lb blues there, ESPECIALLY in August, I also pulled a 42 1/2 lb bass from that area one day in November a few years back.......Wee hours of the morning, I would be surprised if you didn't score very well with some fresh bunker chunks...

The strip along the jogging path has the nickname "gorilla alley", there is a reason,,

Just pulled up all the maps and printed them. Looks like it's worth a shot,at the least more potential than Flushing Bay or anything else I could come up with on my own. Today is my day off but I'm bringing a rod with me tonight and gonna give it a shot tomorrow morning. I'll be fishing ON THE CLOCK! WOOHOOOOOO!!!! Much appreciated fellas!

Be safe out there, I can at least chim in from my experiences from the Bronx side. You will be fishing with the poaching fleet as I call them. They normally pack up and head out as the sun is coming up, that is the only generalization of that group of people I will write in this thread; I will let you fill in the rest as you experiences dictate.

They fish in numbers and will fish lots of bait poles and I will suspect you run into them in some of the before mentioned spots so just do you thing but be careful and if you don't feel safe move on no matter how good the spot looks ;)

Yeah, I've gathered that much on my own but thanks for the confirmation. We have some rough crowds that fish the spring run in the Ct River Hartford area. And I do drive a truck and start making my deliveries in the Bronx around 1am. Not my first rodeo, I am always careful and alert to my surroundings. Gonna bring my bait knife even though I'm not planning on fishing bait.