Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bamaboy

ZeeBaas Drag Problem

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Clearly the VS I have does not handle the sand as well as the other two reels.

ZeeBaas you mean...

He must, cause my VS handles sand A+#1 ( A Plus number one)

Just got back from a trip to Florida where I got a chance to take my ZeeBass for it's maiden voyage. Frankly a bit disappointing. Everything worked great except the drag. When casting from the surf things were fine. The problem started when we decided to soak some bait from the beach. I would tighten the drag to cast .... to keep it from slipping during the cast. When I put the reel in the sand spike I would back the drag off significantly to avoid losing the rod when a fish hit. In short order it became obvious that sand was getting into the drag ..... more likely under the drag cap/knob. I could actually feel the sand as I tightened the drag and the drag would actually tighten as I pulled line. From the pictures that I could find I think the drag knob/cap is the one that is supposed to eliminate any sand problems. I have searched the forum and found the expected combination of "it is a problem" and "the problem does not exist". Well the problem definitely exists ..... at least with this reel. I was fishing a VS on another rod at the same time with no problem. The ZB was on it's maiden voyage and was exactly the way it came out of the box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

it is a common problem i have had with mine over last 4 years. zb was very responsive to me, but it was something i have learned to live with. it got to the point i had to get a vs for hard silty big surf. the zee is good for calm back bays and the drag is smooth as silk,

but after losing 3 real good fish because drag seized well...

love the reel but it just does not handle sand at all

mike

Wow, what timing. I have a zb25 that I have been using for a few months, mostly back bay. The reel was smoooooth as silk, in all ways. The last two mornings were very good except the drag started to tighten up on me. I was fishing sand beaches but without a lot of surf. Drag would self tighten to the point of pulling hooks and possible line breakage if fish were bigger. I removed drag "nut" and found sand between nut and spool. There is a small(1/16") lip inside, I guess sand somehow laid on lip. There is now a small klunk to reel. I will try self service first but then call ZB, I heard they are very good to deal with.

You may be experiencing a problem while fishing with bait because the line will get more sand on it when you are fishing in a spike some distance away from the water. When you landing fish you may get some sand on your line. The large design of the drag knob that extends almost to the spool lip is liable to get some sand in the groove when you are casting as the line gets out from under the lip. Additionally when you are adjusting the drag with sandy hands after re-baiting or handling fish, the grip notches on the drag knob are right there, near the spool to drag knob groove. Naturally, sand will make its way down the groove and under the drag knob.

And finally: you will get more sand under the ZB drag than the VS or the Stella is because the circumference of the drag knob is so much larger. Think about it, it makes sense. The bigger the space for the sand to get into the higher the chances of it getting there. And any seals that keep the sand out are all the way near the main shaft. So you got roughly an inch (depending on your model) on each side of the drag seal for sand to accumulate. On the VS or Stella its barely a quarter inch.

Just got back from a trip to Florida where I got a chance to take my ZeeBass for it's maiden voyage. Frankly a bit disappointing. Everything worked great except the drag. When casting from the surf things were fine. The problem started when we decided to soak some bait from the beach. I would tighten the drag to cast .... to keep it from slipping during the cast. When I put the reel in the sand spike I would back the drag off significantly to avoid losing the rod when a fish hit. In short order it became obvious that sand was getting into the drag ..... more likely under the drag cap/knob. I could actually feel the sand as I tightened the drag and the drag would actually tighten as I pulled line. From the pictures that I could find I think the drag knob/cap is the one that is supposed to eliminate any sand problems. I have searched the forum and found the expected combination of "it is a problem" and "the problem does not exist". Well the problem definitely exists ..... at least with this reel. I was fishing a VS on another rod at the same time with no problem. The ZB was on it's maiden voyage and was exactly the way it came out of the box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope I can be of some help by offering a solution-

My 2nd gen Z27's drag knob will screw down on to the shaft way before the knob itself is seated against the spool. I noticed from your comments that you loosened the knob after your cast and then when you tightened it you experienced the sand problem. I fear you loosened it so much that you created a space between the drag knob and the spool so that sand had a place to intrude. I suggest experimenting with the reel and you will no doubt find that the knob will not be seated against the spool even though it (the knob) has engaged the threads on the shaft. The trick if you are going to use your procedure for bait fishing is NOT to loosen the knob so much as to unseat it (create a space) between it and the spool.

Please let us know how you make out,

Marc

OK- Before I say anything, I think it's only fair to let everyone know right up front that I work for ZeeBaaS.

I have been interested in the whole "sand" debate so a couple of weeks ago, I took my ZX22 to a spot I fish on a regular basis and decided to put my reel to the test.

I buried the reel in wet sand right at the waters edge and then rinsed it off and started fishing. I tested the drag and had no issues.

[img=

After this test I decided to try again, this time compacting the sand by stepping around the reel.

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/1685334/width/1000/height/500' alt='500'>

After the 2nd time, the only issue I had was a grain of sand caught under one of the line rollers and by the 2nd cast it was out. I had no drag issues at all.

I believe that the drag cap may have been loosened enough for the cap to raise up off the spool causing a gap to allow sand underneath.

Another thing I do on a monthly basis is remove my drag cap and clean around the seal area. I then put a light coat of oil around the seal and the drag cap with a q-tip to keep it clean and turning smoothly.

This is a 2nd gen reel with no holes in the drag cap.

I hope I can be of some help by offering a solution-

My 2nd gen Z27's drag knob will screw down on to the shaft way before the knob itself is seated against the spool. I noticed from your comments that you loosened the knob after your cast and then when you tightened it you experienced the sand problem. I fear you loosened it so much that you created a space between the drag knob and the spool so that sand had a place to intrude. I suggest experimenting with the reel and you will no doubt find that the knob will not be seated against the spool even though it (the knob) has engaged the threads on the shaft. The trick if you are going to use your procedure for bait fishing is NOT to loosen the knob so much as to unseat it (create a space) between it and the spool.

Please let us know how you make out,

Marc

You may be onto something. I first notice the problem as I am walking out of the surf and begin to loosen the drag ..... after casting. The process is to loosen the drag a bit and pull on the line to see if the drag is loose enough. Almost every time the drag would actually tighten as I pulled on the line and the drag began to slip .... even when it was still too tight to put in the sand spike. Obviously the sand was already under the drag knob at that point. I do not think it got under the knob while the drag was tightened down. Therefore I suspect it got under the knob at some point while the drag was fully backed off. Possible l guess, as I check the drag periodically while the rod is in the sand spike ...... by simply holding the reel and pulling on the line. If I had the drag knob backed off too far ..... or further than was absolutely necessary ..... it might create a gap big enough for sand from my hands to find its way onto the top of the reel and work its way under the drag knob. Worth a try the next tine out as I have pretty much concluded from all the various input that the reel is as good as it is going to get. I either find a way to work with it or get something else.

Thanks to all for the input.

Why not try and wipe the sand off your hand?

Certainly an option. Could also shower between casts. There is a public beach access facility with a shower a half mile or so away that would work fine.

I'm sure the new spool is better with sand than the older having no holes is a no brainier that it would not let sand in like the old. I have a new 27 I just haven't used it but i find for how often I've had sand issues with the 22 and 25 spools which was only once that i can remember after laying it in the wash that a quick dunk was an easy fix id rather use the older Ti lipped spool which is far easier to adjust the drag on ... If they would meet in the middle and offer the new spool with some sort of recessed Z engraved in the cap so you have something to grab with wet hands then it'll be the perfect upgrade. Even a grippy rubber coat on the cap anything would help.

OK- Before I say anything, I think it's only fair to let everyone know right up front that I work for ZeeBaaS.

I have been interested in the whole "sand" debate so a couple of weeks ago, I took my ZX22 to a spot I fish on a regular basis and decided to put my reel to the test.

I buried the reel in wet sand right at the waters edge and then rinsed it off and started fishing. I tested the drag and had no issues.

[img=

After this test I decided to try again, this time compacting the sand by stepping around the reel.

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/1685334/width/1000/height/500' alt='500'>

After the 2nd time, the only issue I had was a grain of sand caught under one of the line rollers and by the 2nd cast it was out. I had no drag issues at all.

I believe that the drag cap may have been loosened enough for the cap to raise up off the spool causing a gap to allow sand underneath.

Another thing I do on a monthly basis is remove my drag cap and clean around the seal area. I then put a light coat of oil around the seal and the drag cap with a q-tip to keep it clean and turning smoothly.

This is a 2nd gen reel with no holes in the drag cap.

Try it with fine dry sand next time.

I'm sure the new spool is better with sand than the older having no holes is a no brainier that it would not let sand in like the old. I have a new 27 I just haven't used it but i find for how often I've had sand issues with the 22 and 25 spools which was only once that i can remember after laying it in the wash that a quick dunk was an easy fix id rather use the older Ti lipped spool which is far easier to adjust the drag on ... If they would meet in the middle and offer the new spool with some sort of recessed Z engraved in the cap so you have something to grab with wet hands then it'll be the perfect upgrade. Even a grippy rubber coat on the cap anything would help.

My 27 came with the old spool/drag knob as it was the first Gen 2 released to the public, It has serial#002. I am told 001 was the factory counter sample shown at trade shows and fishing expos. I had the sand problem because of the open scallops on the very first cast.I am always fishing in the water so this was a deal buster. 1/4 of a cent's worth of silicon solved the problem and I still use that spool till this day with no sand issues. I have the new spool but have never fished it because the silicon works!!

1)Put black vinyl electrical tape on the back side of the drag knob covering the holes

2) cut the ends off a Q tip and and fill the scallop holes using the nozzle that comes with the silicon tube cut to the smallest size

3) using the barrel from the Q tip as a tool smooth the silicon to the profile of the Scallop holes in the drag knob from the outside

3) using a soft cotton cloth clean around the scallop holes -if you do this carefully at the end you will have to look twice to see the silicon

4)let it sit over night before pulling the tape.

Marc

My 27 came with the old spool/drag knob as it was the first Gen 2 released to the public, It has serial#002. I am told 001 was the factory counter sample shown at trade shows and fishing expos. I had the sand problem because of the open scallops on the very first cast.I am always fishing in the water so this was a deal buster. 1/4 of a cent's worth of silicon solved the problem and I still use that spool till this day with no sand issues. I have the new spool but have never fished it because the silicon works!!

1)Put black vinyl electrical tape on the back side of the drag knob covering the holes

2) cut the ends off a Q tip and and fill the scallop holes using the nozzle that comes with the silicon tube cut to the smallest size

3) using the barrel from the Q tip as a tool smooth the silicon to the profile of the Scallop holes in the drag knob from the outside

3) using a soft cotton cloth clean around the scallop holes -if you do this carefully at the end you will have to look twice to see the silicon

4)let it sit over night before pulling the tape.

Marc

exactly what i did to mine... works like a charm...

i never grew to like the 'newer' recessed drag cap design... always liked the original better for ease of adjustment...