Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bamaboy

ZeeBaas Drag Problem

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Just got back from a trip to Florida where I got a chance to take my ZeeBass for it's maiden voyage. Frankly a bit disappointing. Everything worked great except the drag. When casting from the surf things were fine. The problem started when we decided to soak some bait from the beach. I would tighten the drag to cast .... to keep it from slipping during the cast. When I put the reel in the sand spike I would back the drag off significantly to avoid losing the rod when a fish hit. In short order it became obvious that sand was getting into the drag ..... more likely under the drag cap/knob. I could actually feel the sand as I tightened the drag and the drag would actually tighten as I pulled line. From the pictures that I could find I think the drag knob/cap is the one that is supposed to eliminate any sand problems. I have searched the forum and found the expected combination of "it is a problem" and "the problem does not exist". Well the problem definitely exists ..... at least with this reel. I was fishing a VS on another rod at the same time with no problem. The ZB was on it's maiden voyage and was exactly the way it came out of the box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

how did the sand get there? did you drop it in the sand? was it like the sahara desert- sand blowing in the wind? the problem that some of us had was that when fishing waves would deposit sand between drag and cap when reel was underwater. later gen 2's have a redesigned cap/drag. on older reels we put silicone in the holes on the cap.

Wow, what timing. I have a zb25 that I have been using for a few months, mostly back bay. The reel was smoooooth as silk, in all ways. The last two mornings were very good except the drag started to tighten up on me. I was fishing sand beaches but without a lot of surf. Drag would self tighten to the point of pulling hooks and possible line breakage if fish were bigger. I removed drag "nut" and found sand between nut and spool. There is a small(1/16") lip inside, I guess sand somehow laid on lip. There is now a small klunk to reel. I will try self service first but then call ZB, I heard they are very good to deal with.

I really don't see how you can get sand under the drag knob while sitting in a sand spike. Unless you are fishing in the sahara ;)

it is a common problem i have had with mine over last 4 years. zb was very responsive to me, but it was something i have learned to live with. it got to the point i had to get a vs for hard silty big surf. the zee is good for calm back bays and the drag is smooth as silk,

but after losing 3 real good fish because drag seized well...

love the reel but it just does not handle sand at all

mike

I really don't see how you can get sand under the drag knob while sitting in a sand spike. Unless you are fishing in the sahara ;)

Sand comes from wherever sand comes from while fishing on the beach. Rods get dropped while unhooking fish, off your hands when handling sandy bait, off the bottom rig that gets dragged up the beach. This is a soft sand beach and sand gets into everything. However, I have been fishing a couple of ZB's and a couple of Stella's for the last few years in the same location with absolutely no sand/drag problems. With the ZB I would literally have to walk into the surf to rinse the reel off to get the drag working correctly. If this is unusual for a ZB I will keep working to figure out what I need to do differently. ......... or figure out what is wrong with the reel. However, I expect the reel to deal with sand ..... wherever the sand comes from.

i just got back from fishing cuttyhunk for the week, it was very wet the last couple of nights. no problems with my 25 2nd gen w/new spool and cap. i was in a couple of sandy coves where i was hit with big swells.

My real is 2nd gen with thumb screw to remove side plate. Reel does not hit sand, only gets splashed occasionally. Sand got in, not good. In a few hours it will be out again.

Originally according to Zeebass what your are describing is an imaginary problem!!

:)

At least thats what I was told on the phone.

Later they recommended to fill the holes with silicone.

Then a few months went by and they offered a replacement spool that was redesigned..

I recommend doing a search. There are about ten million posts about your problem.

Do you have the Drag knob with holes?

I have the drag knob without holes.

Quote:

I recommend doing a search. There are about ten million posts about your problem.

I have searched and found what I indicated in an earlier post. Some suggest it is a problem while others clearly are having the same problem I have experienced. No one really had any suggestions other than to replace the dtrag knob with holes. Once you sort out the comments from the ZB fan club and the ZB haters, appears to me that there is a problem. Some people clearly have not had the problem while others have. My guess is that it is because of the service the reel sees. I find it hard to believe that there is that much reel to reel variability. Even I saw a drastic difference depending on what I was doing with the reel. When I stayed in the surf, with the reel constantly in and out of the water, or even from the beach and was not adjusting the drag, it seemed to work fine. When I began to work in and out of the surf, and probably more important, began to adjust the drag from very loose to very tight with sand on my hands, I had a problem virtually every time. I was doing exactly the same with a Stella and a VS with absolutely no problem. Clearly the VS I have does not handle the sand as well as the other two reels. Will likely give ZB a call next week to see if they have any suggestions. Certainly owe them an opportunity to take a shot at the problem. Would very much like to get the reel working as it casts like a dream and is smooth as silk. That said, I am not going to have a reel that costs as much as the ZB that I have to think about where/how I will be fishing when I am loading the truck.

If you have the drag knob without holes, its as good as you can get. The one with holes was just plain un-fishable.