Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Borneo

Sergio - Roosterfish ?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Sergio,

In 1997 I was fortunate enough to go to Baja California on a big game trip. We stayed at the Puenta Colorado lodge, about an hour and a half north of Cabo San Lucas on the Sea of Cortez. Puenta Colorado advertises itself as the "Roosterfish Captol of the World". We were there in October,at the same time as the Bisbee's tournament in Cabo. It was an El Nino year and we caught a lot of Sailfish, tuna, and Dorado, but no Marlin. Our boat didn't sail until 8:30 am, so every morning I was surf fishing in front of the lodge. The people at the lodge said that it wasn't the right time of year for big roosterfish, but I did manage to get a bunch of small ones. They all took a white bucktail teaser. The surf fishing there was a blast, I had no idea what half the fish were, and they looked like they belonged in an aquarium. Anyway, what time of the year do you think is best to have a shot at a good sized roosterfish in the surf in Baja ? I may take that trip again this year, and would love to have a shot at a bigger one. Thanks.

Borneo... I am glad you enjoyed your trip to Cabo.

The best fishing for roosterfish around cabo should be from April to September. You can get plenty information about fishing for roosters froms shore in www.jeffklassenfishing.com . You will have to sort out the relevant fishing information from his past "Klassen Comments". By the way, as you will notice, Jeff's comments dont usually make everyone happy and sometimes the comments are IMO rated over R, but he is a very experienced surf fisherman and certainly a roosterfish guru and also nice guy (at least in person smile.gif).

I remember that "El Niño" year you mention... no marlin but great for my shrimp farming business as the water was very hot.

Mazatlan, is a very short flight from Cabo, if you come here in October and spend a couple of days (and a hurricane is not near smile.gif) I can almost assure, you will get a roosterfish of at least 30 lbs.

Buena Suerte!

Sergio

I too dished Cabo in Novemeber of 1997. the water was Hot!!!! almost 90 degrees on the temp machine.....we did bang a few Marlin though biggrin.gif...the sails we got were fun but they didnt do their aerial acrobatics frown.gif.......the big dolpins in the 50# classs saved the trip though what blast they were.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

John M... 90°F water is great water temperature for my shrimp, as their growth rate is double of the one we get when the water is only 70°F. It is too hot for most fish though and that does some strange things on fish distribution. That year they even caught a striped marlin in Seattle, WA!. I can imagine the face of those anglers used to hooking salmon when trolling.

I used to do a lot of big game fishing (most weekends of the year), but during the last two years I have concentrated on surf fishing as it is the only way to be able to fish several times per week. Just as some people try to jog or play tennis every day, I try to surf fish every day.

I have many times lately prefered to go surf fishing instead of going offshore... I dont miss offshore fishing or any kind of boat fishing at all. It is much better to go surf fishing three to five times per week (or everyday if the bite is hot smile.gif) and also do some excercise walking and running from point to point (and most important relaxing and getting the mind ready for decision taking a few hours later), than waiting all week long to fish on Saturday or Sunday. But I still enjoy the thrill of a billfish smacking a teaser of course! and I also enjoy the fight and the beautiful colors of a 50# bull dolphin like then ones you caught in Cabo, they are as beautiful as a big roosterfish.

Buena Suerte!

Sergio

Borneo... send me an e-mail if you are planning in coming to this area. If you are persistent and if you fish in Cabo or the East Cape at the right time, there is a nice chance that you could land a 50 lb roosterfish from shore. If you enjoyed fighting a 50 lb bull dolphin from a boat, just imagine a fish as strong (at least) but from shore, your drag will scream so nice... I love that sound!.

Below is the link to a photo of a rooster caught near Cabo and being released by the not so small Jeff K.

http://www.outdoorsshow.com/photos/G...20Jeff%202.jpg

Buena Suerte!

Sergio

John M... I just noticed it was you the one that mentioed about catching the 50 lb Dorado.

Borneo... One more thing about Baja... If you want to know what species those fish you caught were, you can take a look in

http://www.eastcape.org/

In the FISH ID section there is a very good guide and also an article on Roosterfish on ARTICLES AND TIPS. There are some things I dont agree with in the article, but is is overall a good one.

Regards

Sergio

Sergio, again thanks ! That East Cape link is great. Also, that picture of Jeff is awesome, that is one nice fish from the surf. They had some real bruisers mounted in the lodge, but they were all caught from a boat. I believe they had one that was over 70 lbs. I will e-mail you when I make it down there again. That place is really special. Take care.