C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

8,103 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

21 mins ago, nightfighter said:

Any reports after the pogie boats cleared out of town? Specifically in the Salem and Marblehead entry channels?

I’ve been fishing Marblehead neck almost every day for the past week and a half for a combined total of about 20 hours worth of fishing with a single schoolie to show for it. Have seen a TON of commorants coming up with bait in their mouth, often 4 or 5 birds working a football field size area. Small bait in their mouth, most likely peanuts. Have been able to jig up harbor pollock from shore and live lining them under a balloon, no luck. They didn’t even spook so I’m assuming there was either nothing around or nothing that was interested. Pretty depressing to be honest when my logs show this time of year the past 3 seasons I was catching at least 3-4 fish per outing with several days of 10+ with about 35-40% of the catch being slot sized fish and a couple 20+ Pounders. Now here I am catching the skunk 4 days in a row without even a boil.

yesterday I did see two osprey come down close to me only about 30 feet directly above my head , one was swooping at the other because it had a huge pogie in its talon. 

Edited by nickd9283

12 hours ago, nickd9283 said:

I’ve been fishing Marblehead neck almost every day for the past week and a half for a combined total of about 20 hours worth of fishing with a single schoolie to show for it. Have seen a TON of commorants coming up with bait in their mouth, often 4 or 5 birds working a football field size area. Small bait in their mouth, most likely peanuts. Have been able to jig up harbor pollock from shore and live lining them under a balloon, no luck. They didn’t even spook so I’m assuming there was either nothing around or nothing that was interested. Pretty depressing to be honest when my logs show this time of year the past 3 seasons I was catching at least 3-4 fish per outing with several days of 10+ with about 35-40% of the catch being slot sized fish and a couple 20+ Pounders. Now here I am catching the skunk 4 days in a row without even a boil.

yesterday I did see two osprey come down close to me only about 30 feet directly above my head , one was swooping at the other because it had a huge pogie in its talon. 

You and me both. I actually spent a lot of time at Marblehead and Lynn this year (we probably saw each other in passing), and I too have nothing to show for it. Not a single thing all spring. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

6 hours ago, PhotoManTrav said:

You and me both. I actually spent a lot of time at Marblehead and Lynn this year (we probably saw each other in passing), and I too have nothing to show for it. Not a single thing all spring. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

How come youre not snagging and dropping? Its the latest rage. :p

6 hours ago, Aposfai said:

20220619_190811.jpg

At first I thought that was a plug in his mouth and was going to ask if you were fishing with one of those multi-ink pens from the early 2000’s LOL

Things slowed down in July. The big body of large bass we had in June seemed to push offshore and up into Maine. I didn’t fish as much and really concentrated on favorable tides from 1 am to daybreak. Never was shutout, but generally only one or two fish a night in 36 to 41 inch range. No real big fish like June although one of my partners took a 44 pound fish. All fish on rigged eels or needles. Did hook what I believe was a SBFT on a needle one night. Never had a chance. Could have been a seal, but hit a slow waking needle? On calm mornings we could occasionally see tuna working the bunker schools. Lot’s of sand eels and first peanut bunker this week. Peanuts are thumb nail size. Historically the best fishing for large bass is Mid August to Labor Day on the North Shore. Have hung shortly past daybreak looking for a slot and to hopefully catch sunrise beach yoga class. Truly no small fish to be found. A few mornings I spent some time watching a very skilled flyrodder and never saw him catch. Lack of small fish is a thing!

Sunrise beach yoga is a thing??  That makes up for poor fishing. I was out down here in CT the other day on a local pier. 4 other people. A group of ladies on SUPs went by.    Lady next to me looks around.  3 other guys all on their phones.   "See whatcha miss when your on ur phone!!"  

:kissthrow:  

Anybody here fishing mornings by boat between nahant/lynn down to deer island. I’m curious how the bite has been and what’s been working before I go out

Got out in the yak for first light in a certain North Shore harbor on July 30th..

Second cast, my buddy and I were getting blown up on working cotton cordell pencils in about 4-10 feet of water, right off the beach. Ended up nabbing about 8 fish between the two of us, most on top water in the 20 - 26inch range. Ton of fun watching the pencil get smacked around every other cast for roughly 45mins. Eventually decided to give the schoolies a break and target some bigger bass in deeper water. pretty quickly found a school of pogie to live line. Lot of hits but we both ended up losing some good fish and decided to call it as the wind picked up and swells developed.  

Overall, very fun morning. Happy the bunker boats are gone. 

Went out at 3am to mess around on a hot night. Got 2 squid, 1 (12") short seabass, 1 skate, and few harbor pollock. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

Went out at 3am to mess around on a hot night. Got 2 squid, 1 (12") short seabass, 1 skate, and few harbor pollock. 

T minus 2days.   I'm hopin to catch a pollock.  Never got one before. 

Would love to night fish but I can't stay awake anymore.    

If you cruise by any piers and see a car with CT plates. :howdy:

Edited by PSegnatelli

Plum Island:

Fished the outgoing tide Tuesday night with my father. Saw birds diving on sand eels being washed over the sandbar, and coming up with mouths full. at the entrance to the Merrimack a bunch of party boats were all fishing one area. wasn't close enough to see but they were probably fishing for stripers. 

Offshore:

Made my first ever offshore trip on a party boat, and man, was it a blast. Dropping and reeling 16oz weights 200 ft is a great arm workout, especially when there is a giant cusk on the line. Tons of short fish, and some cod (not in season), but managed to bring home a monster cusk. When we cut her open, we found a whole lobster in her stomach. Dogfish were crazy out on Jeffery's ledge, as every catch was almost surely a dogfish. Notwithstanding, we got onto the fish and had a blast. Fishing like this only cements my dream of buying a boat to be able to fish the ocean.

Great week of fishing, and fish are around, you just have to find them.

cod.jpg

cusk.jpg

cusk2.jpg

8 hours ago, curran said:

Plum Island:

Fished the outgoing tide Tuesday night with my father. Saw birds diving on sand eels being washed over the sandbar, and coming up with mouths full. at the entrance to the Merrimack a bunch of party boats were all fishing one area. wasn't close enough to see but they were probably fishing for stripers. 

Offshore:

Made my first ever offshore trip on a party boat, and man, was it a blast. Dropping and reeling 16oz weights 200 ft is a great arm workout, especially when there is a giant cusk on the line. Tons of short fish, and some cod (not in season), but managed to bring home a monster cusk. When we cut her open, we found a whole lobster in her stomach. Dogfish were crazy out on Jeffery's ledge, as every catch was almost surely a dogfish. Notwithstanding, we got onto the fish and had a blast. Fishing like this only cements my dream of buying a boat to be able to fish the ocean.

Great week of fishing, and fish are around, you just have to find them.

cod.jpg

cusk.jpg

cusk2.jpg

It breaks my heart to see the party boats clustered in the mouth.

I noticed it last year when I was at Salisbury. A few party boats and privates all clustered on one tiny body of fish in an enclosed area. Shooting fish in a barrel. For pay.

It's the mini-version of what is going on over the pogie schools.

14 hours ago, curran said:

Offshore:

Eastman's on Wednesday? I think I recognize the people in the bow. Busy day, a lot of shorts and sharks, a few to take home if you worked and knew what you were doing. Not too bad for August.